• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC stun codes on GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

katt02

Katt
Hi all,
This question is going to get very in depth. I understand that digital modes, encryption, and modulations are not allowed on GMRS. I am wondering if there is anything against using MDC signaling stun codes. I have a plan to set up a fleet of radios for myself and my family. I would use some Motorola xts radios, which have the ability to stun and remotely kill radios. I would set these up with MDC signal codes that correspond to who has what radio, and I would want to send a stun code if one of us loses a radio. Sounds complex, but it is not as crazy as it seems. Also, these radios would be for general use things like hiking and stuff, and we have our license for GMRS. Basically, would sending out an MDC kill code be allowed on GMRS?

TLDR; Can I use stun codes on radios that I own over GMRS?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, you can run MDC1200 on GMRS. You'll want to set up the data squelch so you don't have to listen to the bursts. Trust me, it gets pretty annoying after a while.

However, sending stun/kill codes is usually done from a console. I know certain Kenwood radios can be set up with the ability to send those codes, but not many other radios can actually do it. Usually it's a console thing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll add that Post PTT MDC is the way to go for many. That sends the MDC data string when the user releases the PTT button.
If you do "pre MDC", then it sends it when the user presses the PTT, and often will cut off the first second of their voice. People can learn to work around that, but unless they use the radio a lot, it tends to be pushing PTT as they are talking, which can be a problem.

Drawback to post PTT is that you won't get the radio ID until they stop transmitting, but that's usually not a deal breaker.

As with all things, your milage may vary.

12dbsinad

Many of my GMRS friends use Pre MDC. With the sidetone enabled on your XTS, it actually helps people cutting of the first words of their transmissions.

The sidetone on a Motorola is really loud and usually people will get used to speaking AFTER it's finished. Also, it's generally better to have MDC data sent at PTT press down.

D

DaveNF2G

Also keep in mind that stun codes only work against radios that have that feature. If I show up on your repeater with my Midland GMRS radio, you can send all the codes you want and nothing will change in my radio. GMRS access is almost impossible to control if someone wants to be disruptive.

12dbsinad

Set-up your repeater with an oddball DPL input and a regular PL on the output. This will keep the bubble pack GMRS repeater capable radios off your system, and confuse most who try to program it in using the output PL.

katt02

Katt
To answer mmckennas question, I have a console capable of sending the stun codes that I would have with me.

As for daveNF2G, I would not be looking to stun anyone elses radios besides my own, because I dont think that is the right thing to do. I would be using this stun feature for my own radios in the event I were to lose one: and I would not mind allowing my repeater to be general use by anyone.

D

DaveNF2G

Thanks for the clarification. That is a sensible use of the feature.

katt02

Katt
I guess my final question would be is the modulation of mdc stub signals allowed on GMRS? Is it considered digital and not allowed or would I be able to use it?

brndnstffrd

Also note that Post MDC will NOT be muted, that only works on Pre MDC.
? Not sure what you mean by that, ive got some going right now muting post MDC.

Also, most radios allow you to set the radios to receive MDC for alerting and uses such as this but not transmit a PTT ID.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
This is exactly the way I use MDC on my GMRS repeater. We use Pre-MDC with side-tone and DOS enabled. Everyone that has a radio that is capable of MDC chooses a number and we set up an MDC call list in all of our radios, so their names pop up on the screen when they key up. I have an MC2500 that can send the inhibit burst and I use it if a radio is lost or stolen or if the person I loaned it to doesn't get it back to me in a timely fashion. It works great.

Oh, and DOS will most definitely mute Pre and Post on Motorola radios. And the paging and other features work just fine with DOS enabled. The radio will still decode the MDC burst even though the user does not hear the annoying squawk.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can run MDC1200 on GMRS. You'll want to set up the data squelch so you don't have to listen to the bursts. Trust me, it gets pretty annoying after a while.

However, sending stun/kill codes is usually done from a console. I know certain Kenwood radios can be set up with the ability to send those codes, but not many other radios can actually do it. Usually it's a console thing.
Some Icom models from mid-tier or high tier will also do MDC stun kill

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Also note that Post MDC will NOT be muted, that only works on Pre MDC.
Kenwood this is true only pre if the timers are right and post no go.

I honestly don't care if it muted or not. Most have the Motorola craze of muting.

Some icoms cam mute MDC fine both ends.

katt02

Katt
Hi again to anyone monitoring this thread still!

So we have deemed it acceptable to use MDC codes on gmrs, now is the emergency button on Motorola radios allowed to be used? I mean in testing circumstances. If I were to test the button by pressing it once or twice, is that against the law? Is it considered sending a false emergency if I press the button for testing purposes or can I do it with no worry?

Hans13

So we have deemed it acceptable to use MDC codes on gmrs, now is the emergency button on Motorola radios allowed to be used? I mean in testing circumstances. If I were to test the button by pressing it once or twice, is that against the law? Is it considered sending a false emergency if I press the button for testing purposes or can I do it with no worry?
What is it sending out? As long as it's not blatantly saying by voice or CW anything plainly meaning emergency then it couldn't be construed as a false emergency; only an annoyance. Licensed GMRS operators around here hit their emergency buttons on their CCRs, simplex and on repeater, without anyone getting the vapors. Noises or MDC, it's just signaling. What that signal means is definable by the users.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin

It's just a data burst and doesn't mean anything until it's decoded. In the usual public safety usage, that would be a dispatch console at a police dept or 911 center. However, individual commercial radios can be configured to alert upon receipt of an emergency activation so care should be taken depending on the other radios in use and frequency you are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.