Alvin TxWarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

I am attempting to program Alvin, Texas & surrounding law enforcement, ems, and fire within the county. I selected the three sites that were from Brazoria County and avoided the ones with "Houston Public Safety." I would appreciate hearing from some folks in the Alvin area relative to which sites need to be included for Brazoria County monitoring. I included the ones encircled in green. I avoided the ones with the lines.marked Alvin.jpg

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Normally, you would want to put in the towers closest to you. I'm from down in the Harris County area even though I don't live there anymore. I'm not familiar with how things might be set up around Alvin? But if the individual sites don't carry just specific traffic, like Brazoria County Carrie's Brazoria County agencies for instance, only and each site can carry traffic from across the system, you would definitely want to program in the tower closest to you normally. It may be that you do need to program in the ones you did and I'm not sure since it's been so long since I've been down towards Alvin or Brazoria County. It really just boils down to which sites carry the traffic you want to monitor and which ones are the closest out of those sites. I'm sure somebody else will be able to help you out with more specific information for your area. I do know that up in the Spring, Texas area my family has their house in, I could many times receive Brazoria County on the main downtown Houston site. I think that the downtown Houston site is set up, or at least used to be, to where it covers users across the system. I also think that all of the other sites throughout Southeast Texas work off of the mobile units affiliating with the closest site. So list the map is showing nails and correctly, those sites that you're not including look like the ones that you want to have programmed in. Listen Alvin unit was affiliating with the closest site it would be one of those. But since they're only a silly ating with the Brazoria County sites the way you have it set up would be the best way most likely. Do you know how things work down there and if units with in Brazoria County affiliate with or use the sites outside of Brazoria County?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Brazoria County Simulcast for Alvin PD/Fire and Brazoria SO, Houston PS sites for Pearland, Manvel, and Iowa Colony.

Ensnared

Brazoria County Simulcast for Alvin PD/Fire and Brazoria SO, Houston PS sites for Pearland, Manvel, and Iowa Colony.

Now, I am even more confused.

I thought that the Houston Public Safety sites were used for roaming HPD units that stray outside of Houston from time to time.

But, now I am thinking it has more to do with Phase II talk groups. I can understand using Houston Public safety sites for Pearland and Manvel since they have Phase II talk groups, but I don't see any Phase II talk groups for Manvel.

I thought there was an HPD Wiki on this.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You basically have to look at zone 1/2 and zone 3 as completely different systems. They share numerous components but each one "competes" for users. Yes, it's silly, but it is what it is.

What zone an agency is on sometimes depends on whether the city (zone 3) or county (zone 1/2) had the better "salesman" that week and not necessarily what site covers that area best.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Ok, I am going to program accordingly; however, I am unsure which Houston Public Safety sites to use for Pearland, Manvel, and Iowa County. I think I can figure out that the Houston Public Safety-Iowa County would be one of these. I would also imagine that all Houston Public Safety sites would be used with the exception of Spring, DT Houston and the General Government Services.

Ensnared

You basically have to look at zone 1/2 and zone 3 as completely different systems. They share numerous components but each one "competes" for users. Yes, it's silly, but it is what it is.

What zone an agency is on sometimes depends on whether the city (zone 3) or county (zone 1/2) had the better "salesman" that week and not necessarily what site covers that area best.

By the "city zone 3" are you referring to Houston as the city in question?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I hate to bug you, but should I use all of the city zone 3 sites, with the exception of the General Government Services for everything in Brazoria county for Manvel, Pearland, & Iowa County?

I wouldn't. Agencies are typically only allowed on sites within their operating area. Their are exceptions, but I would limit programming to sites in the same geographical area as the agency.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't. Agencies are typically only allowed on sites within their operating area. Their are exceptions, but I would limit programming to sites in the same geographical area as the agency.
I'm glad you mentioned this because I thought it probably worked this way but I wasn't for sure down there. Do you know if the downtown Houston site(s) pass traffic for any talk group that site can receive? It use to be that way many years ago according to what I was told and what I could hear on the downtown site. If I could receive the downtown site from up north in Spring, Texas, and then if the downtown site was receiving the Brazoria County or even Galveston County traffic, I could hear a lot of those agencies further south.

With all the users across the system now and with the undoubted changes I doubt it would be this way anymore. But I would be interested in knowing for sure yes anyone does know?

One thing I've always thought was interesting is the Parker County VHF TRS, right on the Tarrant County border near where I live, is part of the TxWARN system even though I've never seen any link was anything down in Southeast Texas. In fact oh, they are the only site up here in my area that has any kind of relationship with the TxWARN set up. I know there are some Northeast Texas counties affiliated with it but they are a pretty good ways away from me and Parker County seems to just be sitting there on their own and with a VHF TRS.

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm glad you mentioned this because I thought it probably worked this way but I wasn't for sure down there. Do you know if the downtown Houston site(s) pass traffic for any talk group that site can receive? It use to be that way many years ago according to what I was told and what I could hear on the downtown site. If I could receive the downtown site from up north in Spring, Texas, and then if the downtown site was receiving the Brazoria County or even Galveston County traffic, I could hear a lot of those agencies further south.

With all the users across the system now and with the undoubted changes I doubt it would be this way anymore. But I would be interested in knowing for sure yes anyone does know?

One thing I've always thought was interesting is the Parker County VHF TRS, right on the Tarrant County border near where I live, is part of the TxWARN system even though I've never seen any link was anything down in Southeast Texas. In fact oh, they are the only site up here in my area that has any kind of relationship with the TxWARN set up. I know there are some Northeast Texas counties affiliated with it but they are a pretty good ways away from me and Parker County seems to just be sitting there on their own and with a VHF TRS.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Parker County was never "part" of TxWARN other than sharing the system ID. It had no connectivity to TxWARN and it's now actually got it's own system ID.

There is no more "downtown" site (I'm assuming you're referring to the single site that was on Allied that was taken down years ago). It's all about site access profiles as far as what talkgroup is allowed on which site and that isn't public knowledge so we have to figure out what is and isn't allowed on our own.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Parker County was never "part" of TxWARN other than sharing the system ID. It had no connectivity to TxWARN and it's now actually got it's own system ID.

There is no more "downtown" site (I'm assuming you're referring to the single site that was on Allied that was taken down years ago). It's all about site access profiles as far as what talkgroup is allowed on which site and that isn't public knowledge so we have to figure out what is and isn't allowed on our own.
Yeah it sounds like a lot has changed since I've been able to make it back home and do any listening. I appreciate that information.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

teknishun

I am attempting to program Alvin, Texas & surrounding law enforcement, ems, and fire within the county. I selected the three sites that were from Brazoria County and avoided the ones with "Houston Public Safety." I would appreciate hearing from some folks in the Alvin area relative to which sites need to be included for Brazoria County monitoring. I included the ones encircled in green. I avoided the ones with the lines.marked

For the Alvin area itself - Galveston County Simulcast site 1-54 is the way to go for police/fire/ems.
Brazoria County Sheriff is on Friendswood site 1-3.
Pearland and Manvel can be heard on Alvin 3-14.

All these sites carry lots of other traffic as well.

teknishun

Now, I am even more confused.

I thought that the Houston Public Safety sites were used for roaming HPD units that stray outside of Houston from time to time.

But, now I am thinking it has more to do with Phase II talk groups. I can understand using Houston Public safety sites for Pearland and Manvel since they have Phase II talk groups, but I don't see any Phase II talk groups for Manvel.

I thought there was an HPD Wiki on this.

There is. Check this out. I would still check the sites in Radio Reference to be sure the frequencies have not changed.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Houston_Police_and_Fire_P25

Ensnared

For the Alvin area itself - Galveston County Simulcast site 1-54 is the way to go for police/fire/ems.
Brazoria County Sheriff is on Friendswood site 1-3.
Pearland and Manvel can be heard on Alvin 3-14.

All these sites carry lots of other traffic as well.

Before I fix the program, I am going to review.

Ok, I have Alvin, Brazoria SO, Pearland, & Manvel covered regarding matched sites, but what about the following.

I am assuming that all of the Brazoria SO talkgroups and Brazoria county talk groups fall under 1-3, Friendswood.

Where do these go: Angleton; Clute; Freeport; Lake Jackson; Pearland; Surfside; Sweeny and West Columbia go.

Also, for DPS, TABC, DEA, etc. that might stray down there to affiliate, which site would be good for these.

Now, for the $1000 question, what falls under the Brazoria site? I am assuming that the Freeport talk groups match the associated site.

Post #3 said the following: "Brazoria County Simulcast for Alvin PD/Fire and Brazoria SO, Houston PS sites for Pearland, Manvel, and Iowa Colony. " Therefore, I am even more confused.

I can see why people assign quick keys to sites now.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Let's use Alvin for an example. I am seeing "West Alvin" and "Alvin" listed under "Houston Public Safety." If someone is picking up Alvin using the Brazoria site, why would it hurt to throw in "Iowa Colony" and Brazoria County Simulcast in that Favorite? I suppose I should number these sites so that the listener can turn them on and off. Would the radio have a nervous breakdown?

This system is very odd and atypical from what I am used to programming. Since these sites are in the Alvin area, then I am assuming the radio would pick up.

I was assuming that the "Houston Public Safety" layers went with Phase II talk groups. Yes, typically I have used the "RR Locations" to find intersection points of radio reception. Maybe I am overthinking this, but I know one of the folks on here has an intimate knowledge of this system and I am trying to respect this person's knowledge base.

So, please be patient with this listener. Ok, now I am seeing a 3rd possibility for Alvin, the Galveston Simulcast. Wow. I guess I will throw that one under the Alvin Favorite as well.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to program Alvin, Texas & surrounding law enforcement, ems, and fire within the county. I selected the three sites that were from Brazoria County and avoided the ones with "Houston Public Safety." I would appreciate hearing from some folks in the Alvin area relative to which sites need to be included for Brazoria County monitoring. I included the ones encircled in green. I avoided the ones with the lines.marked View attachment 69640
i monitor the Santa Fe multicast site i hear Brazoria county
I am attempting to program Alvin, Texas & surrounding law enforcement, ems, and fire within the county. I selected the three sites that were from Brazoria County and avoided the ones with "Houston Public Safety." I would appreciate hearing from some folks in the Alvin area relative to which sites need to be included for Brazoria County monitoring. I included the ones encircled in green. I avoided the ones with the lines.marked View attachment 69640
I monitor the The Santa Fe site and pick up Brazoria County S.O 1 amd sometimes Alvin,
as far as Alvin i usually find them on Galveston simulcast site But i don't know if this site
is within your scanning range

dallenapd

Through basic default programming you are going to see a lot of HPS data because Brazoria County started (and continues) to on the Harris County system. This is where preferred programming come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.