• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Quantar Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketNJ

I've dealt with Sunny Communications in Colorado. I needed some UHF R2 modules and they had tested modules with warranty.

kjl13

QRT
I've dealt with Sunny Communications in Colorado. I needed some UHF R2 modules and they had tested modules with warranty.

I looked into this company, and it looks so they run used-radios.com.

They have a vhf quantar on their site but I find them over priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
As a coincidence, I'm picking up a VHF Quantar today real cheap. I'll be shopping for whatever control boards that will make it P25.

You shouldn't have to buy control boards to make it P25 unless the controller firmware can't be upgraded.

prcguy

Picked up my VHF Quantar yesterday. I will be looking for info on upgrading to P25 and if that's just firmware I would like to know where to buy it. The repeater also has the power supply with about 80% ventilation holes and a big heatsink inside. I would like to find out if there are upgrades for that supply to make it more reliable.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Depends on what you are trying to do. Most Quantars are capable of ASTRO (VSLEP) and ASTRO CAI (P25) without any modification. Now, they will not decode P25 or encode it but simply pass it alongside analog.

As far as the power supply goes, check the fans and make sure they stay running. There are some "subs" available from Mouser but you'll have to drill out the rivets to replace the rear fan. If you have a dummy load rated for 125 W continuous, disable the the TOT and burn in (shift+PTT on the keypad) the repeater for an hour to make sure all the fans come on and they aren't making noises. You have to baby it as if you hear one of the fans seize you have about 90 seconds to kill the repeater before things start burning up.

kjl13

QRT
Depends on what you are trying to do. Most Quantars are capable of ASTRO (VSLEP) and ASTRO CAI (P25) without any modification. Now, they will not decode P25 or encode it but simply pass it alongside analog.

As far as the power supply goes, check the fans and make sure they stay running. There are some "subs" available from Mouser but you'll have to drill out the rivets to replace the rear fan. If you have a dummy load rated for 125 W continuous, disable the the TOT and burn in (shift+PTT on the keypad) the repeater for an hour to make sure all the fans come on and they aren't making noises. You have to baby it as if you hear one of the fans seize you have about 90 seconds to kill the repeater before things start burning up.

Are you sure it just passes it through? I was under the impression that that was just the case for encryption.

prcguy

In my limited experience, some Quantars are analog only and will not pass P25. I encountered this working with a VHF Quantar owned by the USCG and it was eventually replaced with a newer unit that had P25.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Are you sure it just passes it through? I was under the impression that that was just the case for encryption.

There is nothing in the Quantar to decode digital.

In my limited experience, some Quantars are analog only and will not pass P25. I encountered this working with a VHF Quantar owned by the USCG and it was eventually replaced with a newer unit that had P25.

Unless it's an extremely old unit, changing it from analog to digital is just a programming change.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I have never run into a Quantar that couldn't be programmed for P25. Like others have stated, it won't decode P25, but for normal repeater use, it doesn't need to decode P25 anyway. It just passes it along.

kjl13

QRT
I have never run into a Quantar that couldn't be programmed for P25. Like others have stated, it won't decode P25, but for normal repeater use, it doesn't need to decode P25 anyway. It just passes it along.

You can also use them as base stations.

prcguy

Update, finally got my VHF Quantar upgraded to P25, it needed a big firmware upgrade and the guy swapped out my range 2 receiver, transmitter and power amp for range 1 so its a happy hamster machine now. Price was very reasonable.

A friend who works on Quantars looked over the firmware and says mine does not have P25 but he is going to upgrade the firmware to make it P25 and do an alignment on it for $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.