Norwich PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
When Norwich PD starts using CSERN , will they use the Colchester or Troop E system ?

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I would assume Troop E since those towers are geographically closer.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The nearest tower currently is in North Franklin and has Troop D and Troop K however, Troop E site in Ledyard looks into the south facing part of the city and appears to be not much further away.
I believe there was money for 2 new towers in the Norwich proposal, so it may depend on which simulcast cell they are setup with.

chris

thom

Premium Subscriber
Will, I am banking on the Troop E site as I have a hard time getting the Troop K site.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Chris, if they are using the same CSP sites as the existing system, I would assume the North Franklin site would have would have some coverage area for Troop E and D even though that's K's area, correct?. Its kind of a weird boarder there between the 3 troops, right on the edge. Of course things have changed a lot since I was a dispatcher for them.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine it will be similar to the current system. Almost everything is based on affiliations. If a radio is active and authorized on a certain talkgroup and the talkgroup is allowed a cell, then the traffic on that talkgroup will be broadcast on the towers on that cell. So you can hear Troop G traffic on Troop F or Troop A&I zones but not on Troop H, even if the troopers go to the CSP firing range in Simsbury.
With the legacy 4.1 system, there isn't enough channel capacity at each site to have all the various talkgroups active. With the Phase 2, there is almost double the number of channels available.
Right now, it seems like the neighboring Troops are not allowed on a Troop's cell. So I can see Troop H radios getting denied on the Troop C cell. I am confident that will not be the case when the P25P2 is 100% operational.

chris

coolrich55

Chris, if they are using the same CSP sites as the existing system, I would assume the North Franklin site would have would have some coverage area for Troop E and D even though that's K's area, correct?. Its kind of a weird boarder there between the 3 troops, right on the edge. Of course things have changed a lot since I was a dispatcher for them.
If they are using the same sites as the existing system then theoretically I should be able to recieve the 700 system just as well as the 800 system right? Currently I can receive 3 control channels on the 800 at 100%. With the 700 system 30% if I position my handheld just right and that's the troop E site. I'm hopeing the buildout isn't quite finished yet and when it is I'll be able to get a better signal.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Could be that some of the towers aren't transmitting or are in the processes of being adjusted. At my location, previously I could only get the Troop E site with my roof antenna but, as of last week I have no problem with just the 325p2 anywhere in my house.

matt04

Premium Subscriber
If they are using the same sites as the existing system then theoretically I should be able to recieve the 700 system just as well as the 800 system right? Currently I can receive 3 control channels on the 800 at 100%. With the 700 system 30% if I position my handheld just right and that's the troop E site. I'm hopeing the buildout isn't quite finished yet and when it is I'll be able to get a better signal.
I suspect that the 700 system still is still being tweaked, as I live withing a 1/2 mile of I-91 in the North Central part of the state and can can get the 800 system from Troop C/K and H with the OEM antenna on my 436HP in my house but need a exterior antenna to only get 1-2 bars on the 700.

coolrich55

I suspect that the 700 system still is still being tweaked, as I live withing a 1/2 mile of I-91 in the North Central part of the state and can can get the 800 system from Troop C/K and H with the OEM antenna on my 436HP in my house but need a exterior antenna to only get 1-2 bars on the 700.
Good to know I'm not the only one with that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.