Follow The Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

I think some have missed that PB_Lonnie is in Tasmania, so his needing to wing it apart from RRDB (which, while worldwide capable is really mainly North America centric).

Thanks. I do post updates to the RRDB (I sent in one just last week), but for what I listen to and how our radio systems work, having my own site works better.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
He thinks Uniden gets preferential treatment in the forums in return for whatever financial agreement RadioReference.com LLC and Uniden have. Which as far as me is completely false.

I sure haven't seen anything resembling preferential treatment, and I don't believe there is.

My only point is, if there was preference, so what? RR is a private entity that can prefer whatever it wants. It has no obligation to transparency or equal access. People seem to forget that.

All that said, it seems pretty even handed to me.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Anyone who thinks the Brinks truck is backing up to the loading docks of hobby radio scanner companies is not firmly grounded in reality. The entire premise of this thread is from InfoWars territory.

There's a LOT of Infowars fanbois here.

dallascowboys

I always share info so my State fellow scanner people can get the information so they to can hear what is going on, holding info will not help any of us who love scanners. Some info is very hard to get and you may be the one who has what we all need or been waiting for, that is what this hobby is all about helping each other out.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have been the direct recipient of a few dbadmin "perks" that Paul and Uniden have be generous enough to offer us over the years, and I can ensure everyone that at no time has that benevolence ever influenced any decisions I've made regarding management of the database or posts that I've made.

I happen to think that Paul is a nice guy, and I appreciate him throwing us a bone once in a while in recognition of our voluntary efforts, but ultimately that does not and will not prevent me from being critical of their products when criticism is warranted. It will not prevent me from spending money on competitor's products if I see fit to do so. And frankly, I don't think Paul would have it any other way.

The notion of "pay to play" is ridiculous and shows an ignorance of how this site is run. Our policy regarding the database is and has always been that we do not cater to specific scanner companies, scanner models, or scanner software. That doesn't mean that the database structure and features don't evolve and get better over time, which may ultimately benefit certain hardware or software. However at the basic level of managing the database by those of us dbadmins who work with it on a daily basis, no admin is giving any special treatment or favoritism to Uniden because they may've received a DMR key gratis. In fact, I have specifically rejected a number of submissions where the submitter is attempting to get the database listings modified in such a way as to solely favor their x36HP or SDS scanner, with no regard for the fundamental layout and rules of the database or other hardware/software.

What has happened, however, is that I have discovered numerous DMR and NXDN systems, and have identified countless talkgroups on those systems, all because my 536HP does have both keys. I know this to be true of other admins as well, where we have effectively "paid forward" Uniden's generosity by in turn making the database better for everyone who makes use of it.

PS - If anyone thinks that Uniden is getting special treatment around here when it comes to the database, just look at Paul's post from earlier today, where he expresses disappointment in the way conventional DMR listings are structured in the database.

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/inclusion-of-slot-for-conventional-programming.385886/

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
He thinks Uniden gets preferential treatment in the forums in return for whatever financial agreement RadioReference.com LLC and Uniden have. Which as far as me is completely false. As I've posted numerous times I have absolutely no directive to delete ANY negative thread/posts towards Uniden (or Whistler, Unication, Motorola or any comany). And I receive no money, upgrades, discounts, favors or anything from Uniden (or Whistler, Unication or any company) for any actions I may or may not take here.

I'm sorry this doesn't fit his narrative, it just is what it is.

I was also a Moderator on the forums and never received anything from Uniden, Whistler, etc. What I did get was constant frustration with those that couldn’t follow simple rules and any attempt to get them in check turned into the whole “policing the threads” banter. I eventually said “I don’t get paid to deal with this BS” and respectfully requested to no longer be a Moderator. So, the whole argument that we gave preferential treatment to any particular manufacturer is just laughable. I had and have no problems calling each of them out on their shortcomings while praising them for their innovations.

I honestly can’t believe that people here find is odd that Uniden and/or Whistler pay RR to utilize the database. If that makes using their product easier for the consumer by directly uploading the entire database to their product, which in turn would provide the user with the most accurate information, it should then increase sales, which increases profits. And businesses sell products to make a profit. It’s called capitalism and it’s what makes us great. Maybe AOC will come on here and demand RR gives them access for free because big bad RR is too powerful !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.