TRX-100 / TRX-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

Maybe Whistler has him locked up in a basement slaving away on TRX100/200 development prototypes.

Paul
Whistler needs to have a development team, not just one code banger in a basement. Just not an efficient use of time...

beischel

I have patiently waited for the TRX200. I have several P25 GRE/RS/Whistler scanners that just do not decode the simulcast properly. Some transmissions are great, others are horrible. I think the only solution is to purchase the SDS200 at this point. Very concerning that Whistler has not provided any updates here and Wendy has gone MIA. Not sure why they have gone silent, but it is very telling about the status of a new SDR scanner.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes I felt the same way when the PSR 900 never came out. I remember buying one of the first 1095s and use it for a local smartzone system.

As I've said Whistler has never actually made their own radio it's always been a rebranded redressed and improved psr-800 or 900.

I wouldn't expect that to change. I think they can figure out very quickly whether or not they can stuff an LSM capable radio into the case of a psr-800. I don't see how more time is going to make any difference. The announcement made too long ago could have been sincere or just a marketing ploy with regard to their competitor.

They can only go on so long selling obsolete radios that are unable to pick up the systems that are growing throughout the country.

Very unfair to their loyal customers sitting on the edge of their chairs with cash in their fists last December. What a missed opportunity for Whistler due to the way things unfolded with Uniden.

I of course have no idea what's going to happen, it's just an opinion.

Swipesy

Based upon the financial background checking I have done on Whistler I agree 100% with Trentbob. My opinion is Whistler made a major marketing blunder a year ago by announcing anything about a new scanner. I think they made that announcement before having a clue what it would cost to bring a SDS scanner to market. Whistler's behavior in this matter appears as Deja Vu of GRE's overnight disappearance from the scanner market.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Like many others here, I've been patiently waiting for Whistler's SDR scanner. I hope it comes to fruition, but I am starting to have doubts. I think the thing that concerns me is Whistler's sudden disappearance from the RR forums, not even a word to those of us with money in hand. I love my TRX-1 and use it for everything but simulcast systems, especially DMR. Even tho I have been told that their technology doesn't truly 'track' DMR systems, I receive DMR better on my TRX-1 than I do on Uniden radios. My TRX-1 will always have a place in my mobile radio arsenal for that feature alone. Still, I wait patiently with my Visa debit card in hand.

Whistler, where art thou?

JD
kf4anc

Reactions: RRR

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I wish they would come up with something also. I have my upgraded 668 that works fine, but stuffed money away last year for their new scanner. Looks like it will be some fun money for me because they can't produce.

Marky102770

Hi:

I'm in the market for a new scanner. I'm just curious, is this new line of scanners still under developed? I noticed the thread about this scanner was closed in Nov. 2018.

Thanks.
I guess the XTS 100 / 200 will never come out. I am almost certain that Whistler stopped working on them for some reason, usually when Whistler says they will have a new scanner out by a certain time, they usually meet that timeframe. ever since whistler took over radioshack (GRE) scanners, they went down hill and Uniden has been spitting out technology. Uniden never could match and keep up with the radioshack scanners until whistler took over.

Ubbe

Upman mentioned that he used to work with the development of some Pro scanners and now he works for Uniden. That pretty much sums it up what happened to the old GRE scanner knowledge and ingenuity.

/Ubbe

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If Whistler doesn't come up with a competing scanner in the very near future, it will be interesting to see what transpires corporate-wise. I would imagine some frustrated GRE engineers would branch off and start their own thing. I think it's a very distinct possibility we might see a brand new company rise from the ashes to give Uniden a run for their money. History shows that monopolies do not last long. Something is going to happen, eventually. Someone will come up with a new SDR scanner to compete with the SDS series. Just watch.

JD
kf4anc

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Worked for RadioShack >20 years. I worked closely with both Uniden and GRE for scanners, back then, but had hundreds of products (like 600 launches per year as a manager and well over 1500 per year as a director, but with 3 product managers to handle what details were possible to handle at that level of development volume) in my categories, so was not deeply involved in product feature design. I did "invent" dynamic memory while at RadioShack and outlined it for both GRE and Uniden while I was there. Shortly thereafter I was laid off from RS and immediately went to Uniden, where I had only dozens of products to develop per year, so was able to become very deep in the design of how I felt scanners should work. Uniden never tried to protect the Dynamic Memory IP, as I felt that technology rightly belonged to RadioShack but had also previously been given to GRE as well as Uniden as ideas to build upon.

That is to say that all product innovation until I came to Uniden came from the two primary vendors (GRE and Uniden) along with some IP developers from whom technologies were licensed, and not from me. Now, after I came to Uniden is a bit of a different story. Compare BC296D (last pre-UPman trunked Uniden scanner) with BC246T (first one I truly felt ownership of).

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Dynamic Memory forever changed the way scanners were set up and programmed and operated. At first, I was against the change, being a dinosaur set in my ways, but as I got more familiar with Dynamic Memory I came to understand it and like it. Added so much more flexibility and opportunity to customize your scanner to your liking. It took me a while to acclimate to the new technology of Dynamic Memory and with the current digital scanners, but now that I know it I love it. You do great work, Paul!

JD
kf4anc

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
If something happened and they can't develop the scanners then they just need to be up front and honest about it. Quit leading us on because eventually there will be nobody left to follow them and it won't be anybody's fault but their own. Hopefully the TRX100/200 will materialize, but considering they keep moving the release date and don't have even a sketch to show us...

scannersnstuff

Dynamic Memory forever changed the way scanners were set up and programmed and operated. At first, I was against the change, being a dinosaur set in my ways, but as I got more familiar with Dynamic Memory I came to understand it and like it. Added so much more flexibility and opportunity to customize your scanner to your liking. It took me a while to acclimate to the new technology of Dynamic Memory and with the current digital scanners, but now that I know it I love it. You do great work, Paul!

JD
kf4anc
I could not agree more. At first, I pulled my hair out with dynamic memory. I finally got it.

scannersnstuff

I could not agree more. At first, I pulled my hair out with dynamic memory. I finally got it.
What get's me now is I'm kind of intimidated by sd card scanner's. The 100/200, may be more scanner than I can handle. I still have not mastered the 436hp, but really need to have a sit down with it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
What get's me now is I'm kind of intimidated by sd card scanner's. The 100/200, may be more scanner than I can handle. I still have not mastered the 436hp, but really need to have a sit down with it.

That's what it takes. I got so angry with myself for giving up on the 436 and sending it back to Scanner Master that I got determined and ordered 3 different digital scanners at once and pledged to learn them, and I did. Took countless pots of coffee and some grit, but once I learned how to program and operate them, now it comes easy. Not that I don't hit the wall on occasion, but I get it now. The intimidation is gone. Well, it was, but then I ordered the Icom R8600 and it's back to square one lol. j/k

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.