Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-MD5T Series DMR Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilenet

Firmware 1.10 up on remtronix. New CPS has a broken link to the firmware update tool so the instructions don't work but the update tool is in the applications directory and works if you envoke it manually. If you install cps 1.10 on top of 1.01 and then delete 1.01 it deletes stuff you need for 1.10 so you need to reinstall 1.10. Not exactly smooth but works and seems to add APRS functions.
I just had this happen. And now I have a radio without settings options and the 1.10 update software will let me add a talkgroup to contacts but not to any zones as a zone channel member. Overall I liked the radio alright before the software and firmware flash but now I'm thinking about selling or trying to return it. This seems like a bit much to go through to get something working. This is probably just my case but I just wanted to document my experience here. I wonder if there is a program radio button or something I'm missing.

chilenet

After reuploading the codeplug I have my settings button back. So now I can confirm that the flash worked. I'm not sure about the software issue yet.

chilenet

Firmware 1.10 up on remtronix. New CPS has a broken link to the firmware update tool so the instructions don't work but the update tool is in the applications directory and works if you envoke it manually. If you install cps 1.10 on top of 1.01 and then delete 1.01 it deletes stuff you need for 1.10 so you need to reinstall 1.10. Not exactly smooth but works and seems to add APRS functions.
Update... I have it all worked out. Now it's only the form factor I have to decide if I like. But the phone is functioning as it should. I just had a bit of a hiccup with the software install and fw 1.10 update.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I didn't find an answer...
Can anybody tell me what the v1.10 firmwasre changes are? What features added? What bugs fixed?

Many thanks in advance.

chilenet

Where exactly are any of the APRS functions that were added? I have completed the 1.10 flash but I don't see anything. Thanks!

graywoulf

Hi all,
I am just getting into ham radio and looking for a reasonably priced dual band HT. I found this one which I really like for it's price and features as well as the large color display which I feel would be easier for me to read. I see that there are two models. One with GPS and one without. I will be using mainly the 2 meter band at first as I have heard that there is not a lot of 70cm activity in my area. I have joined a local radio club and have found out that a few of the members are into the DMR scene so I want to check that out eventually.

I have a question and that is about whether or not to spend the extra for the GPS version. Honestly, at this point, I have no clue what it is needed for so I would like to hear from some of you as to whether or not to spend the extra bucks. Thanks.

graywoulf

So, I will ask again. I am interested in the Alinco DJ-MD5T radio and I would like to know what the advantage is to the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP with GPS? I am just getting into amateur radio and I know I have a lot to learn. I would be grateful for some advice on this.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I would like to know what the advantage is to the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP with GPS? I am just getting into amateur radio and I know I have a lot to learn. I would be grateful for some advice on this.

The difference in price between GPS and non-GPS models is about $20.00. The GPS functionality allows transmission and reception of GPS location information and allows for Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS) operation for position reporting. Here is a blurb from the manufacturer...

Alinco DJ-MD5TGP VHF/UHF Dual-Band DMR Transceivers are compact 5 watt Handi-Talkies (HTs) that are packed with features and advanced capabilities; Tier I and Tier II DMR two-slot TDMA technology, automatic digital and analog mode detection and operation plus a built-in GPS receiver. This model transmits and receives GPS coordinates automatically and displays distances between you and other users.

graywoulf

Thank you very much for that information. I guess I had overlooked that information on the Alinco website. So, at least now I know that it is just an added feature that does not affect the performance of the HT but it sounds like an interesting feature nonetheless. I will look to see if there are any YouTube videos on this subject. Thanks again.

N4KVE

So, I will ask again. I am interested in the Alinco DJ-MD5T radio and I would like to know what the advantage is to the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP with GPS? I am just getting into amateur radio and I know I have a lot to learn. I would be grateful for some advice on this.
First thing, ask the DMR repeater owners if they will allow GPS use on their repeaters. Around here, they do not. If it’s only $20 more, I would pay it. Except nobody around here can use GPS on the DMR repeaters. Maybe there’s a useful GPS function in simplex mode, I don’t know.

graywoulf

First thing, ask the DMR repeater owners if they will allow GPS use on their repeaters. Around here, they do not. If it’s only $20 more, I would pay it. Except nobody around here can use GPS on the DMR repeaters. Maybe there’s a useful GPS function in simplex mode, I don’t know.
Thank you for your input on this radio and the subject of DMR. I have done some research on this radio and I also looked up DMR repeaters on the map and I found that there are no repeaters anywhere near me. This makes me wonder if this radio is a worthwhile investment for me as I have also found that the 2 meter band is about the only active band in my area other than the HF scene. I have been told that there is very little 70cm traffic in this area as well. My main interest in the Alinco DJ-MD5T to begin with was the large color display and it's reported easy to program capability. I wonder if I should just keep shopping or if this radio is something I'll grow into eventually.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If you're new to the hobby, it might be best for you to start out with a simple/inexpensive 2-meter analog rig since DMR programming can be confusing/frustrating for inexperienced operators. If you have 2m repeaters close to you, an HT might be sufficient. If not, you might be better off with a mobile-type rig, set up as a base (with an outside antenna). Lots of newbies buy a pretty HT only to learn the real-life limitations of low power and small antennas.

If your real interest is DMR but there are no DMR repeaters in range, you could always get a hotspot. Just be aware that DMR in general can present a steep learning curve. Hotspots provide access to all DMR talk groups, not just a select few, via your internet connection. Some hotspots also allow for cross-mode operation from DMR to other digital modes (P25, Fusion, etc).

As they progress in the hobby, many hams frequently buy more recent, more capable radios and sell or trade the previous rig, so don't feel like your first radio (making an assumption here) needs to be the latest whiz-bang, do-all, end-all model.

graywoulf

Words of wisdom I am sure. I get my Technician ticket in less than two weeks. I admit that I fell into the HT trap when I first Googled "How to get started in Ham Radio" back last October. And yes, I bought a Baofeng. I did not know any better and those things were showing up everywhere so I thought they must be popular. I only have it programmed (using CHIRP) for the local 2 meter repeaters and a few police and fire frequencies. I do have the transmit function turned off.

I started my license class in January. My instructor sold me his Kenwood TM-281A so I will be cutting my teeth on it so to speak. I could use the Baofeng (BF-F9V2+) for now but I realize now that it has it's limitations and shortcomings.

There are a lot of 2 meter repeaters in my area. One is just across the road from me on a cell tower. All the rest are withing 20 miles or less from my location. I have already joined the only local radio club as well. I am looking at the Yaesu FT-60R and VX-270 as well. Yes, they are simpler more suited for my needs radios so I guess I will keep my eyes on them as a future investment and instead invest first in a good dual band antenna for the 281A which I am setting up as a base station.

I guess I let the Alinco HT razzle dazzle me to begin with and now that you have brought me back to my senses (which I appreciate), I will proceed with a bit more discretion in my pursuit of a good HT for future use. Thanks again for your time and advice.

N4KVE

If your real interest is DMR but there are no DMR repeaters in range, you could always get a hotspot. Just be aware that DMR in general can present a steep learning curve. Hotspots provide access to all DMR talk groups, not just a select few, via your internet connection. Some hotspots also allow for cross-mode operation from DMR to other digital modes (P25, Fusion, etc).
Good suggestion. Just remember not all repeaters can be accessed with a hot spot. The same repeaters that do not allow GPS on their repeaters
can not be accessed with a hot spot. These repeaters are not connected to D-Marc, Brandmeister, or any other similar systems. They do offer statewide coverage in Florida, but you must be in radio range of the physical repeater. So know the details before you buy.

KD8DVR

Good suggestion. Just remember not all repeaters can be accessed with a hot spot. The same repeaters that do not allow GPS on their repeaters
can not be accessed with a hot spot. These repeaters are not connected to D-Marc, Brandmeister, or any other similar systems. They do offer statewide coverage in Florida, but you must be in radio range of the physical repeater. So know the details before you buy.

Well, you cannot actually *connect to a repeater* with a hotspot. But yeah, you cannot access DMR-MARC talkgroups with a hotspot.

KD8DVR

The latest firmware update to the Alinco allowed Digital APRS positioning via the GPS unit. If you are into APRS, you may think the GPS is worth it.

graywoulf

I really do appreciate all of the information and suggestions that all of you took the time to post here in this thread.

I have decided that the DJ-MD5T is more radio than I need in starting into HAM radio therefore I have purchased a Yaesu FT-60R instead. Bought is new from HRO along with the RT Systems software and cable. I read many, many good reviews on it and I feel that I can't go wrong with my purchase. I will be taking my Technician exam next week so it won't be long before I can get on the air with it. I am looking forward to that day.

Thanks again for your help. ;) :D(y)(y)

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I have decided that the DJ-MD5T is more radio than I need in starting into HAM radio therefore I have purchased a Yaesu FT-60R instead. Bought is new from HRO along with the RT Systems software and cable. I read many, many good reviews on it and I feel that I can't go wrong with my purchase.

Good choice for a first analog radio. Be sure to learn how to program it manually. Enjoy the hobby.
The Alinco and its sister DMR radios are pretty neat, but more complex to program than the FT-60 AND RT Systems isn't making (at this time) software for these radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.