• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS5000 - Emergency Button Assignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShoeRider

Feed Provider
Good Morning, All:

I'm moving up from the small (but mighty) EX600XLS to a much-larger (and mightier) XTS5000.

I have the EX's emergency button programmed as home-channel revert (personality 1, channel 1), and I'd like to program the XTS the same way. Problem is that I can't figure out a way to do that. The EX was easy: there's an option for doing just that right in CPS. If the XTS can do that, I don't see it in Astro25 (v20, if that matters), or it's not as obvious. I realize that with the mechanical hard-stop that the XTS has for channel 1 on the selection knob, rather than the un-stopped EX, having the button programmed to revert isn't as necessary, but I like having the option. This is all under Conventional personality; we're not trunked/encrypted/talkgrouped/anything advanced.

In case anyone asks:, this is my personal radio for the volunteer fire department, my department does not use/have use of the emergency button, and the Chief is ok with my programming it this way if I can.

Thanks very much!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
No because the XTS has a dedicated Home button that if you hold that it will go to whatever personality you want as your home

RedShoeRider

Feed Provider
Good Evening, All:

Oh, cool! I'll try the MS1 thing in the morning when I have my radio. Thank you for the suggestion/thought. What does MS1 stand for, anyway? I saw those in there (MS1, 2, 3), but didn't see a good explanation of what they were in the literature.

Cheers!
-Red

RedShoeRider

Feed Provider
Good Morning, All!

Not so much success :(
I reprogrammed the top button to MS1, went to Personality 1, Channel 1, pressed and held the top button, and got that dull "beep" that you get when you tell the radio something invalid. I tried going to a different channel and pressing the button to see if it took the program anyway....no such luck.

Thoughts or ideas on the matter?

Thanks a lot!
-Red

jthorpe

Just program the home button on the XTS-5000 to go to the home channel. Whatever one you define in CPS as the home channel under radio wide.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I use my emergency button to turn scan on/off. Never had an issue.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Yep, you can make it whatever you want to. I use it for scan as a short press & Nuisance Delete for long press on my Chinese radios and for scan enable on my Moto radios. It comes in handy being right on top when the radio is on your belt! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.