SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Stopped picking up any signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I think the True I/Q in the scanner is so advanced that it's trying to pick up cellular band communications. And since it's illegal to pick up cellular band on a scanner the SDS just goes mute not picking up anything. The FCC probably mandated it to shut down if was capable of getting interference or interfering with the cellular band. And eventually wears on parts on the motherboard. It's too advanced because its scans everything. And pin points to your location by True I/Q for you to be connected to the nearest site tower just like a cell phone

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's it.

WeBeCinYa

If it has to be sent back for 2nd time for issues so quickly after initial repair they should immediately replace. That’s good customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
If it has to be sent back for 2nd time for issues so quickly after initial repair they should immediately replace. That’s good customer service.

They would but they ain't Apple or Samsung with a ton on hand. They a smaller company that a lot less in production than bigger corporations. Yes it cost $649.00 vs an new I Phone which would cost $999.00 but it's the on hand inventory and demand

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

starsty96

Update as of tonight 4/8/19 -
Contacted uniden about my issue.. once again. They sounded shocked but sent me a label to send it back in for repair again. However I’m going to push for a new radio because this is ridiculous. I don’t want to sit here and keep dealing with these repairs. I still can’t believe that it happened again, and have new issues on top of the old issue. How does that even happen?

WeBeCinYa

Update as of tonight 4/8/19 -
Contacted uniden about my issue.. once again. They sounded shocked but sent me a label to send it back in for repair again. However I’m going to push for a new radio because this is ridiculous. I don’t want to sit here and keep dealing with these repairs. I still can’t believe that it happened again, and have new issues on top of the old issue. How does that even happen?

Clearly a defective unit. How many repairs in their eyes is acceptable? Wonder how many times this has happened and we don’t know about it because issue wasn’t on public forum.

starsty96

Clearly a defective unit. How many repairs in their eyes is acceptable? Wonder how many times this has happened and we don’t know about it because issue wasn’t on public forum.

Don’t know. Apparently it’s gonna take some convincing for them to realize it’s defective. There’s no way I’m gonna sit here another month or more without a unit because they insist on repairing a constantly broken unit. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

starsty96

I agree with this. Especially with new issues on top of the original issue coming back. It’s just a brick in my hands. I’m still waiting for a reply from them.

tampatracker

Well my SDS100 is in the middle of it's second trip to Texas, I got their email of receiving it 3/29/19. I had the total loss of reception, RSSI stuck at -40, clicking on conventional channel thing. After getting it back from U. it worked great for a couple of days then the reception began decaying again. The original repair was the cold solder joint. Im just hoping that if they fix “J401” in mine it works, like long term.

WeBeCinYa

Well my SDS100 is in the middle of it's second trip to Texas, I got their email of receiving it 3/29/19. I had the total loss of reception, RSSI stuck at -40, clicking on conventional channel thing. After getting it back from U. it worked great for a couple of days then the reception began decaying again. The original repair was the cold solder joint. Im just hoping that if they fix “J401” in mine it works, like long term.

Sorry, if a unit is repaired and fails again there are two reasons.

1-tech did not fix underlining issue
or
2-it’s defective

Best of luck. I would not want to be in that situation as there is always doubt about it having the same issue down the road when warranty is out.

Cross fingers my 100 never has the issue until at least everything is encrypted.

Last edited:

Ubbe

The J401 connector between logic and RF boards sits directly on the circuit board. Maybe it's a legacy from the VHF Marine radio design. In other scanners you usually find a flexible foil cable between boards. The SDS100 have excessive heat inside when used as no other scanner and cools down when not in use. Material expand with heat and contracts when cooled so this connector are under extreme stress and any bad quality connector or bad solder joint will over time make the connector malfunction.

Maybe the flow solder machine where set too cold, Uniden would then know what serial numbers are affected, or if the connectors are manually soldered it probably are 4-5 people sitting next to each other doing it and one person might not have the skill or tools to make a proper job, maybe they are paid per board they produce, and 20-25% of the boards are faulty during that persons shift but are impossible to find out which serial# that are affected and only time will tell which scanners that will need repairs. The more it's cycled in use and turned off, constant 24/7 use will have minumum impact, the faster the problematic scanners will be found.

/Ubbe

WeBeCinYa

The J401 connector between logic and RF boards sits directly on the circuit board. Maybe it's a legacy from the VHF Marine radio design. In other scanners you usually find a flexible foil cable between boards. The SDS100 have excessive heat inside when used as no other scanner and cools down when not in use. Material expand with heat and contracts when cooled so this connector are under extreme stress and any bad quality connector or bad solder joint will over time make the connector malfunction.

Maybe the flow solder machine where set too cold, Uniden would then know what serial numbers are affected, or if the connectors are manually soldered it probably are 4-5 people sitting next to each other doing it and one person might not have the skill or tools to make a proper job, maybe they are paid per board they produce, and 20-25% of the boards are faulty during that persons shift but are impossible to find out which serial# that are affected and only time will tell which scanners that will need repairs. The more it's cycled in use and turned off, constant 24/7 use will have minumum impact, the faster the problematic scanners will be found.

/Ubbe

This is a reasonable assumption. Only after a wide number of returns with this specific issue would they hopefully be able to narrow down and isolate serial numbers. Let’s hope it’s that and not random for all owners sake.

Would be good to hear from Uniden on this issue should one be approaching end of warranty. What would the solder joint cost to repair outside of warranty?

starsty96

Update: according to fedex they have received my radio last Friday. No update yet from uniden but expecting something by later today or tomorrow. Was told by a representative that they are looking and waiting for my radio.

tampatracker

Well here is the latest from my end. I got the email from Uniden saying they have shipped my radio out 4/17/19, which is 10 days before their projected return date. I have been in touch with https://forums.radioreference.com/members/unidensupport.1187087/ and had apprised him/her of my SRO # as per their suggestion. Looking at the repair notes to see what they did it says "REPLACEMENT - UNIT HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH A MAC PAC ORDER". I have no idea what a MAC PACK is even after searching on the web. So I don't know what to expect, perhaps a refurbished unit. Is anyone familiar with what this means? Thanks in advance.

starsty96

Well here is the latest from my end. I got the email from Uniden saying they have shipped my radio out 4/17/19, which is 10 days before their projected return date. I have been in touch with https://forums.radioreference.com/members/unidensupport.1187087/ and had apprised him/her of my SRO # as per their suggestion. Looking at the repair notes to see what they did it says "REPLACEMENT - UNIT HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH A MAC PAC ORDER". I have no idea what a MAC PACK is even after searching on the web. So I don't know what to expect, perhaps a refurbished unit. Is anyone familiar with what this means? Thanks in advance.
If they’re replacing units that were broken with previously fixed broken units AKA “Refurbed” that is ridiculous. I specifically paid for a new unit I would expect a new replacement.
Mine is sitting on unidens desk somewhere. I was told they were expecting my package and would look at it as soon as it came in but it appears that isn’t going to happen. So I guess another 2 months without a radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.