What do I need to know before buying an SDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Early models of all products have bugs and issues most of the time. Guns, cars, phones, etc.. I have been completely happy with the SDS100 and all Uniden radios I've owned over the years. No returns, no major issues, no problems. Of course I always wait a few months before hopping on the new scanner train. Just like I do with pretty much everything else.

SDS100 specific: I don't hear anything weird with the audio. It sounds just like my other radios so I don't think it's unique to the SDS series. For digital trunk/conventional it is a 300% increase in range and capability over the 436HP with non-simulcast sites as I have not used it on a simulcast site yet. However I never had any simulcast issues with the HP2/436HP. As far as analog; it does just fine on airband, vhf, and even FM radio (I found out when i was Close Call deafened last week. Watch that when you're around the block from the 100,000w transmitting tower trying to find new freqs. Oops)

and of course THE COLORS ;)

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Just to be clear on the original intent of this post...looks like we will 90% be purchasing SDS200's, and I just needed to ensure that the hardware kinks have been worked out, basically not going to need to send in units for warranty display, or self install any metal grounding bits etc.

Paul

Hit_Factor

You probably need to wait a couple years until the SDS200 has some run time if being sure the kinks are worked out is your purchase criteria.

No one here has a crystal ball.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
With the HP series, there was a display, and RTC issue, that Uniden did recalls on...with the SDS we have at least the display and that grounding hum "self service" repair part as issues...those are the only issues I am aware of at this time that newer units I would assume have preresolved.

Paul

brettbolt

With the HP series, there was a display, and RTC issue, that Uniden did recalls on...with the SDS we have at least the display and that grounding hum "self service" repair part as issues...those are the only issues I am aware of at this time that newer units I would assume have preresolved.

Paul
I don't think it's safe to assume that those issues are fixed with every SDS unit that comes off the line. There's always a risk....

budevans

Paul
With regards to the display. There was a very small number of reports of display issues. While they could have been manufacturing issues, they also could have easily been the result of damage in transit.

budevans

I don't think it's safe to assume that those issues are fixed with every SDS unit that comes off the line. There's always a risk....

Really!!!
Yes, there's always risk. But... When you go outside you could get hit by bus. Are you never going outside again?
Think about all of those never ending car recalls. Will you never buy, lease or ride in another car?

In my opinion your statement falls into the category of overkill.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I agree Bud, talking about design defects, not random quality control defects.

On a side note, I just got a letter from Honda that the Takata airbag that was replaced two years ago under recall, must be replaced again, because the recalled replacement has now been recalled! :-D

Paul

brettbolt

Really!!!
Yes, there's always risk. But... When you go outside you could get hit by bus. Are you never going outside again?
Think about all of those never ending car recalls. Will you never buy, lease or ride in another car?

In my opinion your statement falls into the category of overkill.
Don't get me wrong, I have an SDSD100 and really like it. In post 1 the OP stated that he has returned 2 Uniden units because of bugs.

Some people can never be pleased, which is the reason I posted.

mule1075

Feed Provider
In all honesty us on the forums can only provide so much information about any scanner on the market. And I think we are at that point in this thread and now it is time for the OP to make the decision to test drive one for himself and decide to go forward with additional purchases or go with something else. Remember if it does not meet the requirements of what you need return it or sell it it is just that simple.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My SDS200 just arrived...I plugged it in, and instant electrical humming buzzing sound coming from the speaker an external speaker. I haven't even programmed it yet, I just turned it on and it's in clock set mode.

Thanks Uniden...

Paul

JoeyC

My SDS200 just arrived...I plugged it in, and instant electrical humming buzzing sound coming from the speaker an external speaker. I haven't even programmed it yet, I just turned it on and it's in clock set mode.

Thanks Uniden...

Paul
Thats discouraging. Which vendor did you go with?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Thats discouraging. Which vendor did you go with?

It was Zip scanners...I am sure they probably just don't sell enough of them to be clearing stock quickly. I will return the unit and wait for a definitive post on the forum stating the serial number range where the issue has been resolved at the factory. If I was going to keep it, I would expect a discount, as you pay less for houses and cars considered "fix-er-ups".

Serial number on my unit was in the 0900's. People were getting 1600 serial numbers shipped out to them in late February.

Paul

JoeyC

When I get back from vacay in 2 weeks, I plan on biting the bullet and going with Amazon. I've been drooling ever since the thing hit the shelves.

mule1075

Feed Provider
It was Zip scanners...I am sure they probably just don't sell enough of them to be clearing stock quickly. I will return the unit and wait for a definitive post on the forum stating the serial number range where the issue has been resolved at the factory. If I was going to keep it, I would expect a discount, as you pay less for houses and cars considered "fix-er-ups".

Serial number on my unit was in the 0900's. People were getting 1600 serial numbers shipped out to them in late February.

Paul
I am guessing Zip is having trouble getting rid of the stock they have. Quite well known on here that buying from them could be a problem.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I got burned on my brand new 436HP purchase when I walked out the door to test it after purchasing, had an issue (wasn't receiving properly), walked back in the door, and was told 15% "you went past the front door" restocking fee.

I don't think Zip moves enough stock to always have the newest units. It's a small operation with just a handful of people.

Paul

brettbolt

HRO charges a restocking fee on defective returns?

I don't think I want to buy from them again.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I held it side by side with my 396XT, and the 436HP was barely able to lock onto the control channel for the local analog full signal strength 800 trunking system, while the 396 was receiving loud and clear, so obviously I was concerned it was defective.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.