As a scanner listener, how old are you:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
So, I am curious as to how many people here (or at least who see this thread) are younger than, say, 40?

Sometimes I feel like I am the final holdout of scanner listeners that is around my age. I'm considered a "millennial" , born in the 80s.

n1das

I'm 57, started at 15. I agree, a poll would be very useful.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
There is a lot of scanner listeners that are younger than 25. I have ran into many but I have noticed 13 to 18 only 3 out of the 10 use a scanner for legit purposes the rest use it to avoid LE. This is from personal run ins on job.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
darkness975 - I am 46 and have been a Active scanner user since 1978.
Frankly Scanner monitoring was Better and Easier in the 1980's than Today.
However, I think when the FIRST Scanners with a USB Interface and PC software made things easier for those in the 1990's,
Today the Digital Divide is growing, and we have FEWER options for Scanners, gone are Scanners from Panasonic, SONY, Kenwood, Standard, Yeasu, Yupiteru and Trident.

SVFC462

Feed Provider
I am 32. started listening when i was 5 or 6 with my father being. I work as a 911 dispatcher and we use a scanner to monitor the towns around us, even though some of them have our frequency/radio in their console. Between my desk at home, vehicle, and various radios i enjoy listening and hearing what is going on around me

eaf1956

Feed Provider
So, I am curious as to how many people here (or at least who see this thread) are younger than, say, 40?

Sometimes I feel like I am the final holdout of scanner listeners that is around my age. I'm considered a "millennial" , born in the 80s.
My kids were born in the 80s. 1980 and 1982. But one is deceased

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

n1das

I'm 57, started at 15. I agree, a poll would be very useful.

I was getting bit by the radio bug back when I was around 15 and even a little before that as an electronics hobbyist. The electronics hobby definitely guided my career path. I majored in Electrical Engineering in college and today I am a Senior EMI/EMC Design Engineer. My everyday "scanner" used on the job is an RF spectrum analyzer. :)

I've been a scanner listener starting at a young age and will be a scanner listener for the rest of my life. :)

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I'm 58 and have been listening since I was 15. A Radio Shack 4 channel crystal handheld scanner. Those were the days!

A

Analog-Surf-1963

Why not do a poll asking for our ages? Break it down by age group. Say 20 - 40, 41 - 60, etc.

Im 56 - My first real scanner was the pro 2001 in the late 1970s say 77-78

Blinky lights and Numbers - The future no crystals !

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
58, started listening to public service bands about 8 years old. Probably about 13 and I got my first scanner, VHF Bearcat III.

A

Analog-Surf-1963

Im 56 - My first real scanner was the pro 2001 in the late 1970s say 77-78

Blinky lights and Numbers - The future no crystals !

The bug bit me around 1969-70 when I was given A radio Shack Astronaut 5.

Was totally fixated on the Marine operator on 26 and 28 marine band.

just pointless phone patches from Boaters and Fishing runs but I though I had

global communications at my fingertips.

Pete N1EXA

freqgeek2

My first scanner was a Pro-21a that I had purchased from the local RadioShack. I am currently 52 and still love the hobby.

A

Analog-Surf-1963

I too had the pro 2001, that was a great radio. And the lights made it look futuristic. It definitely had pizzazz!

I still have mine in the basement - Still alive - Boy its pretty noisy scanning

Click-Click Click- .... Its a personal time capsule... Just a dust collector to eveyone

else! Still One of the more Sexy Machines - Very Japanese in its styling as with

All GRE radio's of the time.

Pete N1EXA

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I'm 48. I got an early start in listening, as early as I can remember. My dad owned and operated a towing service in the mid to late 70's. I bought my first scanner when I was 15 about 6 months before joining our local VFD as a junior. My first scanner was a 4 channel (crystal) Radio Shack. I don't remember the model number.

Status
Not open for further replies.