Virginia Beach Something in the Water Music Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4APR

I wanted to get a thread started because I'm sure when this happens, there is going to be PLENTY to listen to. I'm guessing it will be mostly on ORION, but I guess we could hear some other stuff on other systems/repeaters.

clbsquared

I'm not familiar with RIOS , some info please ?

Radio InterOperabilty System. It’s a computer based software/hardware system that uses gateways to bring together different technologies for fluid communications. A P25 Phase 2 system user can talk to an analog LTR system user on different bands. And from what I understand , it’s suppose to be capable of doing this nationwide. So, someone in VA could talk to someone in Texas using two completely different systems on two completely different bands. It’s pretty neat. Not sure how effective it’s going to be though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Oceanfront Dispatch “Beat “
Oceanfront Tac “Beat”
5th Precinct Dispatch
5th Precinct Tac and probably a slew of other channels
They’re probably have EMS on 2 separate channels, probably the EM channels

K4APR

Oceanfront Tac “Beat”
5th Precinct Dispatch

I was curious which precinct that was down there. Now I know. A lot has changed in the ten years I was gone. Thanks for the information.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I was curious which precinct that was down there. Now I know. A lot has changed in the ten years I was gone. Thanks for the information.
It’s a part of the 2nd but during the summertime they use the Oceanfront channels

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I was down there tonight, sounds like they may have a temporary DMR trunked system in place. Near 1st street , put my 436 on Search in the 450-469 MHz range, got a hit on 451.51250, Color Code 8, CAP was flashing during the transmissions.
“ Tell that driver to park on the street for now”
“ That driver said his window was busted out by another trucks mirror”
could also hear digital transmissions coming from a trailer. Lots of the trailers down there, and saw more being trucked in on I-64

kruser

Premium Subscriber

This is the same vendor that supplies comms for many of the PGA tournaments across the country.
They did the 100th PGA here last August and that was also a several channel UHF DMR system with over 1500 radios on it during event week.
They have a mobile communications rig that has a 100 foot telescopic mast for the repeaters. The rig is also outfitted with computers and such for reprogramming radios if the need comes up.
They were here in 2013 as well for the Senior PGA using a DMR system then as well.
Last years event used 7 repeaters for 14 channels with about 50 talkgroups active during event week.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
This is the same vendor that supplies comms for many of the PGA tournaments across the country.
They did the 100th PGA here last August and that was also a several channel UHF DMR system with over 1500 radios on it during event week.
They have a mobile communications rig that has a 100 foot telescopic mast for the repeaters. The rig is also outfitted with computers and such for reprogramming radios if the need comes up.
They were here in 2013 as well for the Senior PGA using a DMR system then as well.
Last years event used 7 repeaters for 14 channels with about 50 talkgroups active during event week.
I doubt this one is 50 channels

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Good catch! Quite a number of frequencies in that license. I'll have to load them in tonight. I'm not sure I am going to be down there this weekend to even listen, but I'll have them loaded if I do end up down that way.
I wouldn’t even try to go down there. There’s bound to be a bunch of bs happening, between the music and it being College Beach weekend, I don’t think VBPD is ready, hate to say it, but I don’t

kc4jgc

Oceanfront Tac “Beat”
5th Precinct Dispatch

Tonight, heard traffic on Beats, Mutual Aid, Emergency Management 2,3 & 4.
Due to weather, tonight's events was cancelled. School busses providing transportation for concert goers were recalled 8pm.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Tonight, heard traffic on Beats, Mutual Aid, Emergency Management 2,3 & 4.
Due to weather, tonight's events was cancelled. School busses providing transportation for concert goers were recalled 8pm.
Wondering if anyone has had any luck with the DMR system, I’m not one to go down there when all the **** starts up

kc4jgc

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with the DMR system, I’m not one to go down there when all the **** starts up
I'm way too far away to even attempt to monitor. According to the STA, the maximum ERP is only 2 watts! With 20 watts in, their feedline is very lossy. If kruser is correct about the control point setup AND if the control point is at the convention center as the STA indicates, that 100' telescopic mast should be just enough to cover the area. The STA also has 16 pairs.

Since I don't have a tier 3 DMR radio, I wouldn't be able to monitor anyway. There will be plenty to monitor on the P25 anyway!

I'm hoping SITW will be a huge success for Pharrell Williams, the attendees, and the city! Pharrell organizing and the City coming on board with this event to coincide with the very unofficial College Beach Weekend should make it a relatively safe weekend. CBW has never been an official city event. It was just someone saying "hey, let's all go to Virginia Beach and hang out even though there's really nothing for us to do while we're there". Now, there's something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.