Bapern North District

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl13

QRT
Hey RR,

I am monitoring BAPERN North District(analog) and for what seems to be an open mic has been going on for around 20 minutes. But this open mic does not seem to be user error as all I am hearing is carrier. Does anyone know what this is and what the cause could be?

Also, what is the callsign for the transmit frequency of BAPERN North District(analog)? I noticed that the license for the receive frequency(WIF880, 470.48750) only has that one frequency at three locations.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Also, what is the callsign for the transmit frequency of BAPERN North District(analog)? I noticed that the license for the receive frequency(WIF880, 470.48750) only has that one frequency at three locations.
Search for the input and you'll find various licenses for control stations and mobiles.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I did, but they are licensed to towns and not to the Greater Boston Police Council.
Exactly. The Greater Boston Police Council licenses and maintains the infrastructure (repeaters), and leaves it up to the towns/agencies to get their own licenses for the inputs (control stations FX1 or mobiles MO).

kjl13

QRT
Exactly. The Greater Boston Police Council licenses and maintains the infrastructure (repeaters), and leaves it up to the towns/agencies to get their own licenses for the inputs (control stations FX1 or mobiles MO).
That would make sense, thanks for the insight.

nsradio

Premium Subscriber
It isn't an open mic like someone sitting there keying a radio, it is most likely an issue with one of the leased lines they have. It happens a lot, especially with a system that big. Working with the telco providers to get them fixed can be a PITA now. They're slowly moving away from them, but again it is a big system and takes time.

Sometimes if you pay attention it will happen on multiple channels at the same time when there's a phone line issue to one of the bigger sites with multiple transmitters.

kjl13

QRT
It isn't an open mic like someone sitting there keying a radio, it is most likely an issue with one of the leased lines they have. It happens a lot, especially with a system that big. Working with the telco providers to get them fixed can be a PITA now. They're slowly moving away from them, but again it is a big system and takes time.

Sometimes if you pay attention it will happen on multiple channels at the same time when there's a phone line issue to one of the bigger sites with multiple transmitters.

I knew it was not a person. Lol

But that would make sense. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecps92

Those analog leased lines are so old, that they need to hire some of the retired Verizon technicians :)

It occurs quite frequently. During Wind, Snow and Rain and impacts both BAPERN and Metro Fire [30+ yrs]

kjl13

QRT
Those analog leased lines are so old, that they need to hire some of the retired Verizon technicians :)

It occurs quite frequently. During Wind, Snow and Rain and impacts both BAPERN and Metro Fire [30+ yrs]

Good to know, it is three repeater sites, right?

systech456

This open carrier was caused by a leased line outage from our provider.
As was mentioned above, the facilities provided by our carrier are aged and in some cases copper based.

The GBPC is in the process of moving to newer and much improved transport which will in time reduce the amount of times this occurs and increase system reliability.

As to specific sites, that is sensitive information, we ask that for obvious reasons this not be discussed in a public forum.

If there is a problem with the system contact the BPD Radio Shop 617-343-4620.

thomasm901

Good to know, it is three repeater sites, right?

The BAPERN system uses 15 analog and P25 channels in the system Each frequency has an infrastructure to support that frequency, hence there are many sites across eastern Massachusetts to support the system. Many more than three.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
As to specific sites, that is sensitive information, we ask that for obvious reasons this not be discussed in a public forum.

Since when is information that is readily available in a public database “sensitive” when the FCC requires you to be licensed at every location and then makes that license information available for public view?

garys

Premium Subscriber
It seems to happen on Area Wide 3 & 4 simultaneously fairly frequently.

I haven't had to deal with the phone company on that sort of issue since before it became Verizon, but they were really difficult issues to trace. That was once you got them to have someone look at the issue.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It was bad back 30+ years ago at the old "Turret." I think Alexander Graham Bell installed some of those lines himself. ;)

kjl13

QRT
As was mentioned above, the facilities provided by our carrier are aged and in some cases copper based.

The GBPC is in the process of moving to newer and much improved transport which will in time reduce the amount of times this occurs and increase system reliability.

Thank you for the information. When this happens, does it completely cause the north district system to be unusable?
The BAPERN system uses 15 analog and P25 channels in the system Each frequency has an infrastructure to support that frequency, hence there are many sites across eastern Massachusetts to support the system. Many more than three.

I am aware that there are more sites then three, but I was talking about the north district analog system only.
It seems to happen on Area Wide 3 & 4 simultaneously fairly frequently.

I haven't had to deal with the phone company on that sort of issue since before it became Verizon, but they were really difficult issues to trace. That was once you got them to have someone look at the issue.
Yea, I have noticed this on multiple occasions, can be quite annoying when I am listening to a scan group with BAPERN.

kjl13

QRT

Since when is information that is readily available in a public database “sensitive” when the FCC requires you to be licensed at every location and then makes that license information available for public view?

Agencies can't make the information private, right?

RKG

John: Shouldn't the voice detect function shut down the receiver on the failed wireline after loss of the idle tone? [18]

Status
Not open for further replies.