SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 charge light blinks red w/ new larger battery (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The safety timer is expiring, likely because during "charge while on" the battery is not able to charge at a full rate, thus it does not get fully charged within the expected time frame. The safety timer is important to prevent overcharging in cases where something is wrong with the battery, preventing proper voltage/current cutoff (it is the safety backup of last resort).

Does it charge at the full rate if the charger is at least 3A?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The safety timer is expiring, likely because during "charge while on" the battery is not able to charge at a full rate, thus it does not get fully charged within the expected time frame. The safety timer is important to prevent overcharging in cases where something is wrong with the battery, preventing proper voltage/current cutoff (it is the safety backup of last resort).

How many hours is the timer currently set at and will it be extended in the future firmware updates?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Even a 3A charger might not allow full charge current when power is on. This is because the USB voltage can also drop because operating current is big. Really difficult to definitively answer, as it would depend too much on the actual characteristics of the adapter being used. So, maybe.

I believe the time-out-timer is 10 hours right now. We are studying to determine whether it would be appropriate and safe to extend this. If we do, it would likely be around 13 hours (with the provided adapter, the battery should fully charge in about 12 hours with the scanner turned on).

teknishun

You and i understand that but im on the fb page and here and every since the big battery there have been more and more post of my battery is blinking, its not due to the big battery it is the power supply problem ie Cable/Plug. And anyone with a blinking senario should before posting plug in the included power supply and charge then if its flashing definetly post.

I used the supplied Uniden USB cable AND the supplied wall charger that came with the radio and I still have the red blinking light from time to time. You can unplug the cable from the radio and then plug it back in OR just turn the radio on with the USB cable still attached to the radio. Either method will make the light go green very shortly. SO....DOES THIS MEAN that since the original battery was inadequate for the radio that the supplied power supply that now charges the big battery is not adequate for the big battery? You know what they say, "every solution brings new problems."

scannerhead

Upman, I noted in a follow-up reply to Jason that I had charged overnight with the scanner powered OFF both times. (With included Uniden cable and USB power plug.) So apparently 10 hrs isn't quite enough time to fully recharge a fairly deep discharged large capacity battery. 11 hrs would probably do it, 12 max. Thanks for checking on this.

scannerhead

Charged overnight with the scanner powered OFF last night with included Uniden cable and USB power plug. This morning the red light was flashing before the 10hr mark. It had only been about 9hrs on charge. Again, unplugged and plugged back in and solid red continued before turning green. Missed how long that took. Maybe the safety timer is 9hrs or possibly less.

SquierStrat

This issue is happening to me, while doing the entire charge cycle with the scanner turned off, for what its worth...

edit: Nevermind, im an idiot lol. This is happening to me while using a lower powered power supply

twanger

Premium Subscriber
Has the time-out issue ever been addressed in firmware updates so you can adjust for large battery ?

teknishun

Has the time-out issue ever been addressed in firmware updates so you can adjust for large battery ?

Why not try it yourself and find out? Then let the rest of us know, too.
Because if I say "Yes" there will be people moaning and groaning with exceptions.
If I say "No" there will be people moaning and groaning with exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.