• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Alternate Control Channel Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyscan

Is there any need to program the alternate control channels in Unication devices if you see that your control channel basically never changes from the primary? I've seen it recommended to add at least one alternate but I don't understand why. Unless you add them all why add one since the one you pick would only have a random chance to be the one that the system gets switched to. By only adding the one primary control channel you would eliminate unnecessary scanning before the pager locks on to the control channel not to mention the extra programming. Thoughts?

N6ML

I think you're on the right track. If you're a casual listener, and you're fairly confident that the primary control channel is used most of the time, including the others will only slow things down for you, but if you're a responder, and it's critical that your pager work all of the time, you probably should have all of the possible control channels listed. Just my non-professional opinion....

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Unless you have an extremely large system, like Ohio MARCs or NC VIPER, that max the number of allowable channels, it probably does not hurt. Some systems do occasionally change their active control channel, though I agree that seems to be a past fad.

Given the inability to modify programming on the radio itself, you may be glad to have them if for some reason the normal CC transmitter dies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Seeing as you can only program, and therefore scan, one site per knob position anyway, it doesn't take that much more to include the alternates. In reality, you're pretty much free to do as you wish. However, should one of your knob positions go dead, you'll know why.

nyscan

But adding only 1 out of 3 or 4 listed alternates doesn't make a lot of sense. It would just be betting on that one to be used, correct?

scannernerd55

But adding only 1 out of 3 or 4 listed alternates doesn't make a lot of sense. It would just be betting on that one to be used, correct?

Adding all of the primary and alternates wouldn't be a bad idea. It doesn't negatively affect the radio performance at all by doing so and it's not really that big of a deal to have them in there. What would be a big deal is to NOT have them when you need them.

NebraskaCoder

To answer your question straight, no it doesn't make sense to only put one of the total alternate CCs instead of all or nothing unless you have some guarantee that it will go to that alternate CC instead of another one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Exactly how many alternates do you have for each site your programming? Unless there's some big change in your local system, you only need to do this once.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
A lot of what needs to be programmed depends on how the Unication's actually function with the P25 standard. If no one has ever noticed, the actual information that a P25 control channel broadcasts is quite informative...alternate control channels, band plan, adjacent sites (along with their active control channels). The reason for this, the subscribers have the ability to pull information off the air and learn the systems by writing information to their flash memory. This allows them to adapt to changes (new sites, updated band plans) and allows for a nifty little feature called spectrum wide scanning where as long as the subscriber knows the system ID, WACN, and partial band plan it can go find an active site without having any other programming (such as control channels or site aliases). Implicit systems (which are becoming rare these days) however do not advertise any of this information simply the call routing directions (i.e. TG 3DE, channel 02-256) and is why many subscribers are fully programmed.

How likely are control channels to rotate? With today's standards which include climate controlled shelters and active cooling on equipment, most repeaters can run for a decade or more as a control channel. As a result, the only time many will roll is for maintenance (Motorola for example recommends annual alignments which will require the control channel rolled) or if interference is detected on the uplink (there are some systems along the I35 corridor in Texas where this happens two to three times a week).

Play with it. If it were me, having had some not so great experiences with the G5's in multi-site systems, I'd program all of the relevant control channels for a site. Just my personal experience with the G5 though.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Im with Project25_MASTR
When i program my G4 units (and my APX and my KNG2) i look to see if its a Motorola or Harris System. IF its Motorola i program in the primary and 3 or 4 alternate. If its Harris i program in all. Harris will rotate through all the frequencies. As of now there is only one Harris system near me and anytime bad weather comes thru it switches control channels.
Play it safe, how much extra work is it really to program in the alternate channels? Sure its unlikely you will need them but given the fact that there is a possibility a control channel can switch it makes sense to put them in the device.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The alternates are important to have. Otherwise you lose your site/system when the primary goes away.

MPSCS is now suggesting to set up two or three copies of the CCs, before initiating the spectrum search. (It is much faster to check listed freqs, than to sweep.)

Example:
Pri
Alt1
Alt2
Alt3
Pri
Alt1
Alt2
Alt3
Pri
Alt1
Alt2
Alt3
Sweep

Sent using Tapatalk

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
The alternates are important to have. Otherwise you lose your site/system when the primary goes away.

MPSCS is now suggesting to set up two or three copies of the CCs, before initiating the spectrum search. (It is much faster to check listed freqs, than to sweep.)

Example:
Pri
Alt1
Alt2
Alt3
Pri
Alt1
Alt2
Alt3
Pri
Alt1
Alt2
Alt3
Sweep

Sent using Tapatalk

Can confirm. But major pain to implement without copy/paste options in PPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.