Sleep timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

I suspect I am not the only one who listens to my SDS200 at bed time so I figured I'd ask if anyone has found a solution for turning the radio off after a set period of time. My Icom R75, also located bedside, has a built in sleep timer but the SDS200 does not. I'll appreciate hearing any creative solutions anyone has devised to solve the problem of turning off the radio once we're asleep.

An incoming power timer such as this may not be a wise idea as the SDS200 writes to the SD card when powered off with the volume on/off switch.
You may open yourself up to many of corrupted files if you use this method.

If anything, inserting a timed relay that switches from the speaker to a 4 or 8 ohm load would be a far better solution for now.

He may not have powered speakers.
In my setup I just ran a length of speaker cord to a speaker in my room and have an A B switch to change speakers. In this instance a relay on a timer with a switched to load resistor would work just fine.
Now it just hit me.. I can omit the A B switch and put the relay there with say a 555 timer circuit to control the relay so say a press of a button to make the swichover to the bedroom speaker and the timer starts at the same time..

I never cease to amaze me!

I suspect I am not the only one who listens to my SDS200 at bed time so I figured I'd ask if anyone has found a solution for turning the radio off after a set period of time. My Icom R75, also located bedside, has a built in sleep timer but the SDS200 does not. I'll appreciate hearing any creative solutions anyone has devised to solve the problem of turning off the radio once we're asleep.

Well as I said in my previous post that I could "build" a timer but alas, as I was searching for parts, I came across a timer board that does the job nicely!
Here is a PDF I created with all the info you will need to get it assembled.. (the configuration of it is all up to you!)
Enjoy!

Attachments

• Sleep Timer.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 21

wtp

what do you mean "turn it off". my wife would ask "why would you want to do that"?
her 396XT is on 24/7, think of it as musac for the house.
if it was meant to be turned off it would have an off switch......oh, right, nevermind.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
There's no auto off in the settings? My SDS100 can be shut off after up to three hours. Or are you looking to shut it off at a specific time?

There's no auto off in the settings? My SDS100 can be shut off after up to three hours. Or are you looking to shut it off at a specific time?

Why yes there is an auto shutoff in the SDS200 menu but here is the difference:

From the SDS200 menu, every night: press menu, turn knob, press enter, turn knob, press enter, turn knob, press enter.

From my point of view, every night: pressing one single button (after initial assembly and configuration) and it is off and running for the set time and then bingo! it switches over to the radio room speaker and I can no longer hear it in the bedroom! As a bonus, in the morning when I get up and grab a cup of coffee and wander into the radio room, the scanner is already on!

Much, much easier with the separate timer I presented earlier. Oh and I forgot to mention in my other post.. You can have the timer run for up to 999 minutes..

DataSquid

I'd really like a "default auto-off" value on our 436 and 200s. First thing we do every night when we turn them on is set that, to the current max or 3h. A 4h option would be really nice as well.

RogerH11

The sleep timer is like what, 20 years overdue? I had one on my Icom R2 and it was the best and wanted feature in a very long time. I loved that radio as nobody had only 2AA back then, and killed the BS theory about portables having poor audio quality and crappy volume due to their small size. Nope, mostly Uniden and sometimes GRE used crappy stuff. I really hated radios like the Pro 51 and Pro 94, 235, 245 XLT, and many others. If the R2 had good volume and sound, so should every flagship model by Uniden etc. Uniden has come a long way as I use to hate them witn a passion for all the junk they released with the telephone battery packs and/or expensive packs that don't last like the 2500XLT. I actually liked the 2500XLT other than that which was unusual at the time. Even the 9000XLT had crappy audio and less than par squelch tail. If Uniden picks up the audio and speaker quality, then they'd be great. After spending all that money on the SDS 100 and 200, I better get decent audio or I'm going to rant like I haven't since the 780XLT came out sounding like crap. We're back to the proprietary battery packs again, but that display is too awesome to run on 4AA.

RogerH11

They're use to be a company that would rebuild your old ones with better guts back in the day but I can't even guess who it may have been. I've always wanted to tinker with a 3000XLT but never got around one.

Status
Not open for further replies.