"Finding Control Channel" Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what I am doing wrong or not doing right... I live in Newark, NJ and am trying to monitor the Fire Department and city EMS. They both operate on the statewide "NJICS" system which my scanner, the 996P2 is capable of. I live in the city and am using an external antenna which I run through the wall and to the exterior of my apartment so reception shouldn't be an issue. When I scan either the FD or EMS talk group, I constantly get the "finding control channel" message. I have tried tweaking the squelch to no end and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any insight? I am using ArcXT software if that helps. Oddly enough, I also use the Uniden 436HP handheld with the stock antenna and can hear both Newark FD and EMS from my apartment with no issue.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you may have an issue with your external antenna and/or coaxial cable. Does the 992P2 work with the stock back-of-radio antenna?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suspect you might be pressing Hold during a scan to jump to a given talkgroup. When that happens, the scanner also holds on a site and that site might be too far away to receive. Thus, the scanner isn't receiving control channel data and it attempts to "Find the Control Channel Data", which is abbreviated to "Finding Control Channel".

Two options. One is to hit the hold button during an active transmission. The other is to move the more desirable talkgroups to their own Group and then scan that group when you want to limit your scanning. This could be accomplished through Group Quick Keys.

skyteam11

Premium Subscriber
I have had this problem in the helicopter a lot. I would try to lock on to a specific talk group and then get that message. The only fix at first was to check my SQ setting making sure it was at 3, than unlock the hold and start scanning again. The fix I now have in the aircraft was to purchase the SDS200. So far no issues.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In ARC-XT, the System Type should be P25 Standard. You need to create a site for a trunking system. Check the Control Channel Only box. You need to load the control channel and alternate frequencies only. Make sure that the site Lockout box is not checked and that none of the frequencies are locked out. You can select 800/900 Standard in the Mot Bandplan.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Make sure your radio is only trying to utilize the one (or maybe two) transmitter sites that are nearest to you. A big statewide system like that typically has dozens of transmitter sites, most of which will be out of range. If you go into the menus and lockout all the unwanted sites the radio will not waste time looking for them.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
The only site I see in Essex County is West Orange Simulcast.

If this is true then he should try what Wb4sqi recommend, because in a simulcast system more antenna is usually bad. The competing control channel signals can cause the scanner to lose the lock on any one control channel.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your insight. I first tried using the stock antenna and it now works flawlessly. I am no longer seeing the "finding control channel" message. I had been using an external antenna as I have a basement apartment so I thought that would help but clearly I was wrong. I can now enjoy using my 996P2. Thank you all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.