live stream with op25

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

I was thinking about hosting a live stream using raspberry pi 3b+ and op25 for my local fire dept. the department is p25 phase 2 i believe. how can i find out how many dongles will be needed prior to attempting this project?

Shawnjnorton

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking about hosting a live stream using raspberry pi 3b+ and op25 for my local fire dept. the department is p25 phase 2 i believe. how can i find out how many dongles will be needed prior to attempting this project?
I assume your on a pet phase 2 system, do I would recommend using 2 of them and darkice to stream it. That is what I have in the station for our feed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

trauts14

I assume your on a pet phase 2 system, do I would recommend using 2 of them and darkice to stream it. That is what I have in the station for our feed.

thanks. how do i determine if 2 dongles are required? if one dongle can do the job, i hate to use 2.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The number of dongles needed is tied to how many streams you want. If you're doing a mono (single channel) feed, then you only need a single dongle.

Shawnjnorton

Premium Subscriber
Well maybe for you but it will not work on my county's system with just one. It always needs 2

Shawnjnorton

Premium Subscriber
I'm using only one dongle with OP25. Can you confirm you're using OP25 and not one of the other trunking software programs?
I just don't see how it would be possible in my case since the CC is far from the voice channel so that's why I need two. The system you are listening to may be able to be listened to with one but some larger ones can't. I've don't this for 3 years and know for a fact I am unable to is 1

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I just don't see how it would be possible in my case since the CC is far from the voice channel so that's why I need two. The system you are listening to may be able to be listened to with one but some larger ones can't. I've don't this for 3 years and know for a fact I am unable to is 1

Because OP25 works like a scanner, and retunes the receiver to the voice channel, thus only one SDR is needed. It doesn't rely on the bandwidth of the SDR to be able to "see" both channels at once.

I've looked around and I cannot even find any documentation on how to use two SDRs with OP25. Maybe 3 years ago that was how it was done, but the current OP25 release only needs one SDR.

fredva

Feed Provider

Have you updated the software in three years? It's possible that more recent versions reduced the requirement to one dongle.

boatbod

Have you updated the software in three years? It's possible that more recent versions reduced the requirement to one dongle.

OP25 has only ever required a single dongle to tune a P25 system. If you use op25 with DMR or other protocols you may require more than one dongle, but for what the OP was inquiring about it's easy to do with one dongle and one RPI3. Instructions are included in the file ~/op25/README-rpi3-liquidsoap

Shawnjnorton

Premium Subscriber
Well dam, I been using two. Now I'm wondering if it has been hindering the performance at all

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
Well dam, I been using two. Now I'm wondering if it has been hindering the performance at all

I am also in Bucks county and am monitoring the P25 Phase 2 system with only one dongle. So yes it is possible.

boatbod

You can have two plugged in but it'll only use one unless you're using multi_rx.py (and that doesn't work with P25 Trunking)

johann8384

The reason you might need a second dongle with op25 is if the trunked system you are using is wide bandwidth than the capacity of your dongle.

For example, I use SDRPlay and Airspy dongles so I can get the entire site at once. An alternative would be 4 RTLSDR dongles, because the simulcast in my county is about 8Mhz wide.

I use TrunkRecorder, which uses OP25. https://wiki.radioreference.com/ind...d_Liquidsoap#Multiple_Streams_from_one_System

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The reason you might need a second dongle with op25 is if the trunked system you are using is wide bandwidth than the capacity of your dongle.

For example, I use SDRPlay and Airspy dongles so I can get the entire site at once. An alternative would be 4 RTLSDR dongles, because the simulcast in my county is about 8Mhz wide.

I use TrunkRecorder, which uses OP25. https://wiki.radioreference.com/ind...d_Liquidsoap#Multiple_Streams_from_one_System

That would be for the special case of using Trunk Recorder to try to capture the entire system all at once. If the use case is to setup a traditional live feed that only parks on a single talkgroup at a time, then the single dongle would work as explained in the previous responses above.

Status
Not open for further replies.