How Long Do Handheld Scanner Last??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoCubs

I guess I have 2 questions. My first is that I have a old Radioshack Pro-64 that must be at least 15 years old. The ac adapter broke so I just use 6 re-chargable batteries. I listen to it quite a bit. Am I just lucky to have mine last this long? Granted, I never take it outside my home. Also, would getting a telescopic antenna help to replace my "rubber ducky" one give clearer reception? I live in Chicago and mainly just listen to their 15 zones. It is very, very busy. Thank you for any responses.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Interesting question. I have ALL of the scanners I've ever had, and only a few are shown below in my tag line. I agree with
doctordialtone that the physical scanner is likely to outlive the technology (trunking, digital, new modulation methods, etc). A brand new scanner is as likely to break as one 20 years old (that's what I've experienced).

When it comes to an antenna, it depends on what you want to hear and your physical location. Can your antenna "see" the tower where the signals come from you want to hear? An outdoor antenna (system) is much better, but not as easy. Keep in mind that the length of the antenna matters as it relates to the frequency you want to hear. Generally speaking a longer antenna is designed to pick up lower frequencies.

In the past I've found AC adapters for cheap at garage sales, flea markets, etc (online too).

majoco

Stirrer
I have a Yaesu VX-2 that I bought in 2001 - I use it every day and it's still going strong - I'm on the second battery but that's all I've had to do. The supplied charger was rubbish - took ages to charge, days not hours - so I replaced it with another 6v charger and fitted the original tiny plug.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
As with all things the harder you are on it the shorter it will last.
Heck i could buy a scanner today and leave it in the box for 50 years and im sure it will work when i open the box.
I think the real question is not about how long it will last, is how long till technology makes it obsolete.

wbswetnam

I'll bet that I've owned over 50 scanners over the past 35 years. Only two scanners have developed problems such that I got rid of them. I used to have a Uniden Bearcat 800XLT desktop scanner which was bad to overheat, and when I sold it (1999 or 2000) the display was going very dim. The other was a Radio Shack Pro-96 what started going deaf on 800 MHz about twelve years after I'd bought it.

Currently my oldest scanner is a Uniden 142XLT ten channel base scanner manufactured in 1990. It still works great; I've modded it with a discriminator tap and and it's what I was using for monitoring DMR and NXDN frequencies (connected with a computer running DSD+) until those modes became available on the most recent scanners.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
As with all things the harder you are on it the shorter it will last.
Heck i could buy a scanner today and leave it in the box for 50 years and im sure it will work when i open the box.
Not if the (electrolytic) capacitors are made in China.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Until the $5 R836 tuner chip that the $700 scanner is built around fails? :whistle:

ChicagoCubs

Thanks everyone. I was considering getting a new model but think I will stick with this one and try a new antenna maybe to pick up East Chicago, Gary IN, Hammond IN area.

WB9YBM

I guess I have 2 questions. My first is that I have a old Radioshack Pro-64 that must be at least 15 years old. The ac adapter broke so I just use 6 re-chargable batteries. I listen to it quite a bit. Am I just lucky to have mine last this long? Granted, I never take it outside my home. Also, would getting a telescopic antenna help to replace my "rubber ducky" one give clearer reception? I live in Chicago and mainly just listen to their 15 zones. It is very, very busy. Thank you for any responses.
My Bearcat's about 30 years old--had to send it in only once to fix a low audio issue (was surprised they still supported it!). I've got a telescopic whip that definitely helps with fringe area signals.
73 DE WB9YBM

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I've had some over 35 years old, still work fine. The original rechargeable batteries needed replacing though. They did lack options that newer units had like more channels and CTCSS. Some units that I bought used had problems due to battery leakage but a careful clean up of the contacts remedied that.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I still have nearly every scanner I've ever owned. First one was a Regency 8-channel Hi/Lo xtal controlled, then BC 101. BC 210, BC 250. BC 300, numerous BC 760 XLTx, BC 250d and other assorted handhelds up to a 325P2. I still use one of the 760 XLTs and my 250d along with the 325P2. My 250d scanners (with the P25 card) are slowly loosing sensitivity--I wish the factory service literature was available so I could tune them back up.

I've found that scanner longevity really depends on:
  • Luck
  • Build Quality
  • Installation and Environmental Factors
  • Proper Care and Treatment when in use
I remember there were some build quality issues with the BC 250 scanners. I had to do some component replacement and resoldering of cold joints. Had additional cold solder or fractured solder joints with some handhelds because of flexing while in use.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have a Realistic Pro 4 from the 70's that still works. I also have a collection of around 50 older HTs and most of them also work. They date back to the 1980's.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Be careful with a longer antenna. It can put stress on the connector and cause failure of the solder joint inside the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.