SDS200 Remote Head currently being tested by Uniden Beta Testers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I'd be shocked if Uniden came out with any sort of remote head. Not just because of the past attempts, but as I see it, because Whistler offers a model with a detachable head (don't want to be a "copy-cat") and the propensity for end users to just come up with their own solutions.

I was afraid to say it, but this is my thought process as well. If you want to talk scanners, Uniden was the first with a remote head option, but Whistler (with a GRE design) was the first with the out-of-the box detachable head, but they were only following the majority of the ham radio manufacturers. I remember my Kenwood TM-D7A and how novel it was to have the option way back in 1999. The fact that the ham manufacturers are still doing it shows that it is a viable concept and the stigma of "copycatting" shouldn't be a deterrent, but some people don't see it that way.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not sure how we went from discussing a remote head to battery packs to Uniden's business continuity plan but they're all off-topic and have been deleted.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Uniden released the RH-96, which was a godsend to those who used them, but apparently did not garner enough interest to keep the production line running with subsequent scanner models. If Uniden is looking to make a remote head, I highly doubt it will be "a "Remote head" that is identical to what is on the SDS200" since they've been bitten by that bug before.

Except the RH-96 came out when a large majority of vehicles still had two DIN spaces in their dashboards, and/or plenty of virgin dashboard space to mount an entire radio underneath. I've ripped out a number of factory radios to install an aftermarket stereo and squeeze in a BCT-15X or similar in previous vehicles. So the demand probably wasn't high then.

Now?! Every surface is a curve, sleek, and a large touchscreen replaces the stereo and adds Sirius and backup cameras and stuff. And airbags are everywhere, behind your knees, in front of your knees, etc. So I think the RH-96 demand today would be much higher, and just keep growing. I ditched Uniden and got my first Whistler scanner SOLELY for the remote head in my new vehicle.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Except the RH-96 came out when a large majority of vehicles still had two DIN spaces in their dashboards, and/or plenty of virgin dashboard space to mount an entire radio underneath. I've ripped out a number of factory radios to install an aftermarket stereo and squeeze in a BCT-15X or similar in previous vehicles. So the demand probably wasn't high then.

Now?! Every surface is a curve, sleek, and a large touchscreen replaces the stereo and adds Sirius and backup cameras and stuff. And airbags are everywhere, behind your knees, in front of your knees, etc. So I think the RH-96 demand today would be much higher, and just keep growing. I ditched Uniden and got my first Whistler scanner SOLELY for the remote head in my new vehicle.

Under dash space I'll give you, but there weren't that many people ripping out double DIN OEM stereos to put in scanners. I have two, they are both mounted above my rear view mirrors and work great. The problem is that the beancounters only see the flop that the RH-96 was (in their opinion) and I think they would be very hesitant to greenlight a similar project based on the past performance. I'm sure there's an actuarial formula they use, and it probably doesn't take available space into consideration.

Mike445

I would love to have a remote head!! I managed to do a pretty decent install in my Charger with my 536HP. However if a remote head were available I'd put back the factory part that belongs there and mount the head somewhere else in proximity. This will do in a pinch. Unfortunately there is NOT enough room for the SDS200 in the same slot.
CHARGER.jpg

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Every one of my mobile transceiving amateur radios is remote head capable.
For me and many others, it’s an expected & standard feature in the market that we seek when making purchases for mobile set-ups (many >$1k at a time).

We are free to envision and share feedback in hopes this particular niche of the scanner market, largely dominated by Uniden, makes better steps toward improvement with designs that align with consumer-desired features. I’m at a loss why this topic brings out the inner Luddite in some to protest and squelch any dialogue promoting innovation and adaptability.

After all, It’s not like the concept is a unicorn LOL

Dream bigger, dream better!!
... wait... not literally “bigger” in this case =:cool:

-cognetic

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I’m at a loss why this topic brings out the inner Luddite in some to protest and squelch any dialogue promoting innovation and adaptability.

-cognetic

Amen!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
When and if Uniden offers a remote head for the SDS200, they need to make it daylight readable. The current color display is not, so I use the black text on white background as my default display setting in my F-150, and switch it to color at night.

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
Awful that we can't see the beautiful color display during the daytime, because it isn't properly backlit.

I didn't plop down nearly a thousand bucks to run it in black and white mode.
So if you are that unhappy sell it and buy want you want. Quit banging on about it keep it or sell it. Pretty simple if you ask me.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I can on the dash oh my Navigator in bright sunshine
My SDS200 is not daylight readable in the sense that it has equal brightness to a true daylight readable display. This is painfully evident in my F-150 that has front, back and rear windows tinted to 15%. The radio is mounted on top of the dash, with the 8' nav screen directly below. The nav screen is perfectly readable, while the SDS is not. Don't bother arguing: I fly aircraft that actually have daylight readable (and NVG compatible) screens - I know the difference.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
So if you are that unhappy sell it and buy want you want. Quit banging on about it keep it or sell it. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Or we can continue to address these issues on an open forum. Personally, I love my SDS200, but there are a few things that we feel are sub-par, so we are here to discuss these things.

Your input was considered with my posting.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The 200 should have been designed with a detachable face from the beginning, utilizing a cat5 cable for remote mounting, as many other radios and even Whistler scanners do. The fact that they didn't was either lacking foresight or simply a poor decision. There was no reason for leaving it out in this level of radio. An add-on remote head option would be nice and very helpful to many folks but a detachable face is something that should have been a feature of the radio from day 1, period. Then users would have the option of remote mounting it or can leave it attached if their application is such that it works well that way for them. Sad we have to have this thread to discuss the possibility when it should already be a reality.

Ubbe

I think we should wait for the SDS500 and see what that would bring. We got SDS100 that is a portable and SDS200 that are a mobile/base so what could the SDS500 be to top that? The unused USB ports on the scanners must be ment to be attached to some device.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.