Orange County CCCS P25 Update

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I am using DSDPlus FastLane. Not sure if you are, but that might be part of it. I am using a pair of RTLSDR's with it. All my radios are connected to a dual-band Ventenba on the roof with a 20db broadband Holland satellite TV amp in-line. It's not pretty, but it works well with excellent decode. The South Cell is a little rough, but I am near the 91 and the 5, so no surprise there.

I haven't tried Unitrunker in a while, but yeah, it seems to struggle a bit....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Fire has just as sensitive comms as LE. With proper key management, OTAR, key retention, KEK and UKEK retetion seamless encryption is not just possible it's here and works flawlessly.
Let me guess.....HIPAA?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
When comes to Orange County I would say the media after the helicopter issue between OCFA and the OCSO.

Yes, that might have been a factor but OCSD wanted all of the fire departments to go encrypted back when LE went encrypted. It's was all about money back then and now they are getting what they wanted.

Its like when SBDCO LE went encrypted. It wasn't all about the Dorner case up in Big Bear nor the Terroists attack in the county a few years ago. The County of San Bernardino was going to lock things down anyways no matter if the attacks on cops or on people with terroists. LE does not want their comms out over the airwaves accross the world no do they want wackers and media following them. These are the biggest factors as well as the Broadcastify logo on FOX and CNN news getting plastered around the world with audio.......

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
Question: Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I’ve noticed that only the hospital base frequencies seem to be going encrypted. Most north county hospitals (St. Jude, OC Global, UCI) are now on zone 26 and are not scannable. But could that be it? Is there any chance that the dispatch / tac channels might be left in the clear? Or is it 100 percent that they will all go p25?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
I am pretty sure the The County of Orange is a lost cause at this point. The day the Countywide system gets cutover will decide fate.

The fire tacticals that are attached to the North Cell are encrypted so I think we can read between the lines at this point.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The Dorner incident...when media said they heard “ light it” on the scanner app and embarrassed the Sheriff on live tv.

While I have no doubt that's a factor, that is by no means the only thing that would motivate an agency to implement encryption. After 40+ years in public safety communications, I have seen many, many newsworthy events from behind the scenes.

In more recent years, there are more cases of malicious interference during critical events. It's far more egregious than most people are aware of.

You're free to think what you want, but there's a solid rationale driving these decisions. Encryption is now available, affordable, and it no longer reduces intelligibility, so it's going to be used to solve some real life problems.

You're gonna have to learn to live with it.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well Costa Mesa and Laguna Fire went live today on the new Next Gen system and both fire departments are now using full encryption. So we can positively say at this point that The whole County of Orange will be fully encrypted on the fire side now moving forward.

Its no mystery now.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
This is really going to impact scanning in the Southeast Los Angeles and Orange County area. Compared to 3 years ago, much has now gone the way of the "big E." With Riverside, SBDO, Orange, and much of LA County (Downey PD now E on ICIS) going bye-bye, scanning becoming lot less interesting around here.

allend

Premium Subscriber
This is really going to impact scanning in the Southeast Los Angeles and Orange County area. Compared to 3 years ago, much has now gone the way of the "big E." With Riverside, SBDO, Orange, and much of LA County (Downey PD now E on ICIS) going bye-bye, scanning becoming lot less interesting around here.

Wait until LA-RICS goes live and the skies will really go dark in the SoCal Basin

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hopefully, LACoFD will remain in the clear when they switch to LA-RICS, but who knows?

Fortunately, LAPD and LAFD seem to have no immediate plans to go encrypted, but again, that could change.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
The only hope is leaving dispacth open , like they did on the Red Channel..... what about OCFA Santa Ana Tac , it's on The South Cell ....there still on 4M ......Allend Thanks for all the updates

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
I think the lifeguards are still open but who cares about public works and lifeguards. Its like listening to the dead at the cemetary

allend

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully, LACoFD will remain in the clear when they switch to LA-RICS, but who knows?

Fortunately, LAPD and LAFD seem to have no immediate plans to go encrypted, but again, that could change.

Well look at OC and Law Enforcement. They were the first to go encrypted pretty much nationwide. Now look at mostly all of LE in the SoCal Basin. GONE>

Now OC is encrypting all of Fire talkgroups. Everybody else will follow in time. This is our new world. Look at what Denver PD and Fire just did. Don't think anybody else is not next on the list.