Unusual aircraft activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Googling the tail number it shows it as Phx PD Firebird 20.

Thanks, yeah, I did the Google thing. Plane has been around about ten years. One of the Google returns referred to it as the Phoenix PD's spy plane. Most of today's track was actually outside of Phoenix.

Phoenix805

I was watching it for while on my flight tracker. I've seen the plane used a few times in the past but never actually saw it overhead. Definitely a strange pattern, about 3 mile loops but very squared off, not at all like normal helicopter orbits. And yes, much of it outside the city limits.

KB7MIB

Much like the Firebird helicopters assist other agencies, it's likely that their fixed wings also assist other agencies. Which is probably what they were doing, if I were to take a guess.

John
Peoria

rellyrell

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a surveillance pattern. Since fixed wing aircraft cant hold station and orbit like helos, thats what their pattern looks like. But then again that altitude is kinda high for surveillance. Was there any kind of TFR in effect during that time??

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Looks like surveillance. It does seem that the orbit is squared off, which is unusual, but the overall pattern is consistent with following a moving vehicle.
We have a DHS PC-12 in So Cal that does surveillance at similar altitudes - usually between 10k and 12k. They must have a really good camera!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
This is one of the Phoenix PD Fixed Wing aircraft. This aircraft uses radio IDs 2904151, 2914151, and 2924151 on the RWC, and are frequently active on encrypted talkgroups. Tonight they are active on RWC talkgroup H2 with this activity.

N620FB.JPG

KB7MIB

That was in conjunction with the helo that was following the failure to yield that started in Mesa.
They kept referencing Bravo 4 (Phoenix PD B-4) on G-1 until they switched off, as well as 123.025.

John
Peoria

rwier

ADS-B Exchange showed two helos reasonably close together, along with the fixed wing aircraft working in the Maryvale area for a couple of hours. From near I-17 and Greenway a visual, and a binocular scan, detected one helo and the fixed wing. I have to believe that one helo was completely dark. No big deal, as one helo and the fixed wing were easily detected. The fixed wing was doing the big squares.

Status
Not open for further replies.