Icom IC-R75 What can i pair with it to improve overall use

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnr0007

Hello hope this is in the right form. Was wondering what would pair good with radio as far as filters and preslector? Have a PAR EF-SWL coming. Just really got back into swl I have a GRUNDIG 750 that I use a lot love it. still trying to figure out all the filters on the R75 but I love it so far.

w2xq

Mentor
You don't provide enough information. What is going on to make you think you need more filters and a preselector? Are you close to AM broadcast towers? What is your RF environment like? Are you listening to SWBC, utilities, amateurs?

majoco

Stirrer
I don't have one now, but I'm sure you'll find the R75 doesn't need much improvement. It has enough front end filters to render a preselector not worthwhile, the PAR EF-SWL is a good broadband antenna so there's no need for a tuner not that they do much for a coax fed antenna anyway. What do you want to listen to or decode that you need more filters or do you want to use CW? IMHO I'd wait and see if there's anything you really want to suit your needs......you can't always get what you want but sometimes you'll find you get what you need..... :rolleyes:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hello hope this is in the right form. Was wondering what would pair good with radio as far as filters and preslector? Have a PAR EF-SWL coming. Just really got back into swl I have a GRUNDIG 750 that I use a lot love it. still trying to figure out all the filters on the R75 but I love it so far.

I'd recomend a good larger external speaker!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A passive preselector will undoubtedly be a help to your 750, whose front end is not as robust as the R75. Unless you are living in or near an urban area, you may not need any additional filters to cut out AM, FM or TV overload, although getting out and listening on it will be the true test. We have an article that discusses this and other topics, along with some links to actual models, here...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Improving_HF_Reception

With HF propagation not really going to improve over the long haul - we may get occasional blips from the sun that will improve things for a few days, but almost certainly nothing long-lasting - being flexible with your antenna choices will be real important. The PAR is a good start but there are tons of other designs out there that have different responses. Some types of antennas work best with a transmatch, others (like the PAR) don't need them. If you have the space, and know some simple soldering techniques, you can learn a lot from building them. We have a small selection linked in our wiki here...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/HF_Antennas

and of course, loops are another choice if your space is limited (as so many folks situation are, especially if you have to hide it from a condo association or apartment manager)

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Loops

Mike

shawnr0007

I am leaning the ssb part of swl but I do love just exploring around thanks for all the suggestions I didn't know if a ssb wide band filter would be relevant to install or not

w2xq

Mentor
I am leaning the ssb part of swl but I do love just exploring around thanks for all the suggestions I didn't know if a ssb wide band filter would be relevant to install or not
I thought the radio had a 2.4 SSB (wide) filter as standard issue. A 1.8 SSB (narrow) was optional. As I recall, I added a 500 Hz filter for CW/digital stuff. Have you looked inside the radio to sèe what you have?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Way back years ago when I purchased the Yaesu FRG-100 I bought the Grove TUN4 preamp for it from Grove Enterprises and it worked quite well. When I got my R75 I hooked it up to that but found that I didn't need it and left it in passive (bypass) mode for the most part. I have since disconnected it altogether and don't even use it anymore. The R75 stands firm on its own and the R8600 goes without saying. No preselectors, preamps, or anything else needed for either radio. I think the OP will find that the only thing needed for the IC-R75 is a good HF receive antenna properly installed and grounded to get great reception.

JD
kf4anc

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Filters for that radio are going to be very expensive, if you find them. Better to sink your money into antennas. At least according to the Universal website it does come with a 2.1 khz SSB filter installed. You likely won't need anything more, at least for now.

SSB hams are quite plentiful, and there are a number of voice utilities out there. Even a pirate or two, if one were to know such things (right Tom? heh) At least for that, you ought to be good to go...Mike

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The Icom R75 lacks any mid range filters which might limit ones listening especially when using ECSS mode. I will concur with what others have said about the use of a preselector - it's just not needed as the Icom R75 has a strong front end.

The use of an external speaker is an absolute must as the internal front facing one is awful.

On the whole though it's a good HF+6M receiver but only for digging out weak SSB signals. The Twin PBT helps here.

I never really liked it on the whole and much prefer using a Lowe HF-225 instead for SW monitoring.

ridgescan

You may consider a Timewave ANC-4 noise cancellor. I have one but not for the R75 which is out in the living room. My ANC-4 runs with my R8600 and the Wellbrook loop on the roof. My "noise" antenna is the D130J scanner discone up there and when I need it for the ANC-4, I switch to it via the Alpha Delta-4 coax switch. This thing helps with a lot of nearby noise where nulling it with the loop won't. You can really see on the waterfall how much stuff the Timewave kills when you switch it on and tweek the noise phase/gain controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.