HF Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb6hlm

Wow its nice I'm not the only one still listening to the low band stuff. Your absolutely right there are some very nice sounding broadcasters out there Nope it's not dead

Just wanted to add one more thing for anyone that has the means to receive it as the old radios are not capable Try listening to 40 or 75 meters at night sometimes you can catch Hams running SSB at 15Khz I forget what's that's called but if you can open up your BW you will be amazed at how SSB can sound in High Fidelity

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The 8600 is my dream receiver. Wish Icom would make another HF like the 75. Just HF with a big screen. My R30 picks up some HF with my D220R inside close to the ceiling. Don’t think a loop is in my future so looking at other options. The super antenna has my eye but still looking. Thanks folks for your suggestions so far. Giving me food for thought.

ridgescan

Wow its nice I'm not the only one still listening to the low band stuff. Your absolutely right there are some very nice sounding broadcasters out there Nope it's not dead

Just wanted to add one more thing for anyone that has the means to receive it as the old radios are not capable Try listening to 40 or 75 meters at night sometimes you can catch Hams running SSB at 15Khz I forget what's that's called but if you can open up your BW you will be amazed at how SSB can sound in High Fidelity

15kHz? Hams are working LW now, but I did not know they went that low! I'd sure like to learn what they use for antennas at that frequency.

kb6hlm

Sorry about that I was typing on a phone lol I left out (AUDIO) I remember the name now its called ESSB stands for Extended Single SideBand in order to support the fidelity required and desired for relative high fidelity

The max BW on ESSB (Wide-2) 6 kHz not 15 khz I would think that would be a bit much !

Google ESSB for more info

NC1

it just seems to me that using a PC instead of a real Radio really sucks !!! Give me a good old radio anytime

I could not agree more. I have a SDR that I bought last year that now sits in a drawer after fiddling with it for 2 months. What a waste of time, it was a complete fail when the moderate to weaker signals come into play, of which there are many - and very interesting too.

For SW listening you are better off by far with a real receiver that was designed for HF. Now I only use my spare Kenwood TS-940SAT for shortwave listening when I'm in the mood. It is hooked up to a Cushcraft AV-5 Vertical which has a very small footprint, and the radials are buried under the grass. My noise level is almost non-existent so the weak signals are an easy catch.

Get yourself a decent receiver and you will not be disappointed.

ridgescan

Sorry about that I was typing on a phone lol I left out (AUDIO) I remember the name now its called ESSB stands for Extended Single SideBand in order to support the fidelity required and desired for relative high fidelity

The max BW on ESSB (Wide-2) 6 kHz not 15 khz I would think that would be a bit much !

Google ESSB for more info
No actually, I should've picked up on that as you were speaking in the context of audio and fidelity. I get what you meant now:)

Erik71

Just caught my first #Station in long time while spinning the dial over lunch. Ever since stumbling on them as a kid, they've always fascinated. Why? Who the hell knows lol. (11435 am, @1601utc in Baltimore, MD)

JASII

Memory Capacity
I haven't played around with HF in years. With all of the digital modes available these days, is there much digital modulation on HF yet? For example, has Death Star (D-Star) caught on on the HF bands much?

w2xq

Mentor
I haven't played around with HF in years. With all of the digital modes available these days, is there much digital modulation on HF yet? For example, has Death Star (D-Star) caught on on the HF bands much?
C'mon JASII, you know the answer to that simply by reading the forums or QST. Did you ever buy a hotspot?

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Just caught my first #Station in long time while spinning the dial over lunch. Ever since stumbling on them as a kid, they've always fascinated. Why? Who the hell knows lol. (11435 am, @1601utc in Baltimore, MD)

I haven't noticed much in the way of digital voice. Non voice digital modes are getting stronger. In the realm of shortwave broadcasting i hear a lot about DRM popping up, but I haven't been able to decode it myself yet. I suspect my inability is my noise floor at home. i'll be interested to see if I can do better when camping this summer, if we ever get summer.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
if we ever get summer.
Am waiting for the next snow storm since our weather is so screwed up. Picked up a super antenna for now for my HF needs. Working real good from inside my house. Compared the antenna that came with my R30, a D220R and the super antenna. Picked up a weak signal with the handheld antenna which was 2 bars. Then tried the D220R, same 2 bars. Hooked up the super antenna, max bars and very clear.

WB9YBM

Am waiting for the next snow storm since our weather is so screwed up. Picked up a super antenna for now for my HF needs. Working real good from inside my house. Compared the antenna that came with my R30, a D220R and the super antenna. Picked up a weak signal with the handheld antenna which was 2 bars. Then tried the D220R, same 2 bars. Hooked up the super antenna, max bars and very clear.

Have you considered putting the antenna in the attic, near the peak of the roof? I've done that with a few antennas--gets them above the "ground clutter" (vehicles & etc.) and still protects them from weather...

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
The telescopic antenna extends to long so attic is out. Looking for a good old surveyor tripod to use outside. They are heavy. Plus with the right 15 foot pole, should be good to use for portability. Am cheap so searching Craigslist for both.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I haven't noticed much in the way of digital voice...In the realm of shortwave broadcasting i hear a lot about DRM popping up, but I haven't been able to decode it myself yet...

Matt,

Thank you for the reply. I have gotten so I really like digital modes and almost cannot stand analog, if it is noisy at all. I really can't think of the last time I listened to anything AM modulation very long. When there was HD radio on AM, I did tune around in that band, but only recall hearing a small amount of HD radio on the AM Band.

Jim

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Got lucky and found 2 survey tripods and a telescopic fiberglass 16 ft pole fairly cheap on Craigslist . 30 bucks for the tripods and 40 bucks for the pole. Pole new is 80 bucks. Hope to have it set up this week to test out.

WB9YBM

The telescopic antenna extends to long so attic is out. Looking for a good old surveyor tripod to use outside. They are heavy. Plus with the right 15 foot pole, should be good to use for portability. Am cheap so searching Craigslist for both.

Speaking of tripods, I've been told those used for movie cameras are a bit heavier, too (so the camera doesn't jiggle as it pans). Might be another area to expand the search...

Hit_Factor

Not sure if this would fit in with your needs.

Instead of a tripod, dig a hole with a post hole digger. Place a steel pipe, tamp in the dirt. Drop the antenna on the pipe, with 3 guys I haven't had any problems.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this would fit in with your needs.

Instead of a tripod, dig a hole with a post hole digger. Place a steel pipe, tamp in the dirt. Drop the antenna on the pipe, with 3 guys I haven't had any problems.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo
I did that awhile back, put pvc pipe in the ground and put pole in it. Worked fairly well. Where I live now won't work due to sandy ground. Could if I dig about 6 ft. Looking at moving in near future so the tripod will have to do for now. Thanks for the idea though.

The movie tripod is a good idea. Will have to check that out. Thanks.

WB9YBM

I did that awhile back, put pvc pipe in the ground and put pole in it. Worked fairly well. Where I live now won't work due to sandy ground. Could if I dig about 6 ft. Looking at moving in near future so the tripod will have to do for now. Thanks for the idea though.

The movie tripod is a good idea. Will have to check that out. Thanks.

As far as stabilizing a tripod goes I've heard mention that people will take something like a bag of kitty litter or sand and put that over the spreaders (the things that hold the tripod legs apart). Don't know how many bags you'll need for your length of mast, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.