Scanning speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wernham

I have a BC436 I have a question when its scanning . . .

When it scanning it will show all the different systems / sites and talk groups and lets say I have 50 different systems with 10 sites and 5 talk groups. If cycles not he screen all the different stuff. Is it only scanning that channel when that talk group is on the display or is it "listening" to every channel at every moment?

I hope this makes sense

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> If cycles not he screen all the different stuff. <snip>

??
Some of your question doesn't make sense to me, but I'll say if you're scanning 50 different systems, with 10 sites each, you are likely scanning WAY too much stuff. I live in a pretty big metro area and I'm only scanning 7 or 8 trunked systems and maybe 50 conventional channels. That covers most public safety within 40 miles of me. What happens when you have so much stuff to scan is your scan cycle takes forever and you will miss a lot of things you needn't miss. So I would spend some serious time trying to determine which systems carry the traffic you are most interested in and lock out the rest. Also, scanning 10 sites per system is a waste of time. Most trunked systems will have one, or two, or perhaps three sites that are within range of your location, and the rest are beyond your reception range. And even if there are several sites within range it's often the case that just ONE of them will not only have a good signal but also carry all your Talkgroups that are of interest. So you need to figure out which sites are viable for you for a given system and lock out (avoid) the rest. Otherwise your scanner is wasting valuable time checking the frequencies for each and every site, some of which may be on the other side of your state. This is a common problem with big statewide systems. Go to the webpage for one of your systems in the RR database and click on the 'RR Locations' link just above the System Frequencies section. You should be taken to a map page similar to this one where you can get valuable information about where all the system transmitter sites are located:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteMap&sid=8010&type=rr

Hope that helps.

RogerH11

The scanner scans stuff like the old, conv scanner until it finds something. It uses the CC (control channel) to look for traffic so only the CC and conv channels are scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.