DMR mobile (not handheld) suggestions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke0hfc

I'm looking for a unit that does uhf/vhf along with DMR and traditional analog capabilities.

I see a lot of hand held options, but information on current mobile units seems pretty scarce.

AK_SAR

You might check out Connect Systems. I believe their CS-800D mobile does both analog and DMR. I haven't used that radio personally, but some folks seem to like it. I do have a handheld I got from Connect Systems, and they have been a good outfit to deal with. Their website is at:
Connect Systems

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Look in to the Motorola XPR 4550 and 5550 vhf and uhf...I use to have the 5550 uhf radio and loved it before I sold it and purchased the XPR 7550E with WIFI enabled. Keep in mind if you do purchase a XPR 4550 or the 5550 you'll need the 25hz entitlement key for amateur radio use.

wrath

I'm looking for a unit that does uhf/vhf along with DMR and traditional analog capabilities.

I see a lot of hand held options, but information on current mobile units seems pretty scarce.
For a good radio ,get a cheap hotspot and a Yaesu FTM 400XDR it will do analog, APRS,Fusion,DMR 3 digital radio versions along with analog ,Fusion / DMR use the same codec ,a hotspot will trans code the two . Yaesus are bullet proof radios (i have ones i purchesed 30 years ago that still work as well as ones i bought a year ago) . The radios are on special at very attractive priceing !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Your choices are limited if you want a dual band mobile. I personally use the XPR5550e's and love them. They are bulletproof and fantastic little radios, but of course, not dual band. I own a TYT dual band mobile, but it isn't that great. Fine for analog, not so much for DMR. It constantly screws up, actually.

ke0hfc

Look in to the Motorola XPR 4550 and 5550 vhf and uhf...I use to have the 5550 uhf radio and loved it before I sold it and purchased the XPR 7550E with WIFI enabled. Keep in mind if you do purchase a XPR 4550 or the 5550 you'll need the 25hz entitlement key for amateur radio use.

I only need the entitlement key for analog though...right? I can skip it if I use the radio strictly for digital.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I only need the entitlement key for analog though...right? I can skip it if I use the radio strictly for digital.

That is correct. The entitlement key for 25kHz is free, you just have to take a class through the Motorola website, and getting that set up can be time consuming.

The other great thing about Moto is the audio leveling entitlement key. In a commercial environment where all the radios and settings are the same you don't need to worry, but with ham DMR there are so many radio types all with different settings. The audio leveling is a dream. You set your volume where you want it, and the incoming signals are leveled to that volume. Everyone else complains about constantly having to adjust the volume. Me, not so much. ;)

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
That is correct. The entitlement key for 25kHz is free, you just have to take a class through the Motorola website, and getting that set up can be time consuming.

The other great thing about Moto is the audio leveling entitlement key. In a commercial environment where all the radios and settings are the same you don't need to worry, but with ham DMR there are so many radio types all with different settings. The audio leveling is a dream. You set your volume where you want it, and the incoming signals are leveled to that volume. Everyone else complains about constantly having to adjust the volume. Me, not so much. ;)

Yes like what alachuete already mentioned before I could reply back the entitlement key is only for analog use only. :)

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I have a Connect Systems CS-800D, as someone mentioned above. Dual-Band VHF/UHF & DMR, and its CPS has TONS of features to program, including 2-tone decode, MDC-1200, DTMF, and a bunch of other signalling options; it even lets you program your OWN talk permit tone when you key up, both for a Digital & Analog channel. I absolutely LOVE my CS-800D radio and for $299 and 45 watts you can't go wrong! Just download the free CPS and check out the options yourself with a dummy codeplug.

David
N1DDC

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
For a good radio ,get a cheap hotspot and a Yaesu FTM 400XDR it will do analog, APRS,Fusion,DMR 3 digital radio versions along with analog ,Fusion / DMR use the same codec ,a hotspot will trans code the two . Yaesus are bullet proof radios (i have ones i purchesed 30 years ago that still work as well as ones i bought a year ago) . The radios are on special at very attractive priceing !

While there is some cross linked talkgroups, C4FM FDMA (Fusion) and DMR are not the same and are not compatable. The FTM-400DX does not do DMR . https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfmcmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=227201D29C822AEFF8482F3367495319&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0]

As stated above, at the moment, I think the only dual band DMR radio worth getting is the Connect Systems CS800D. If you need to transmit outside the ham bands, you may want to look at other options. The CS800D isn't Part 90 certified, though I heard they were at least considering getting it type accepted. Initially, they were unlocked, but a firmware update last year restricts tx to the ham bands only. It's got a really simple designe and won't win any beauty contests but I understand it's pretty simple to use. There's also the TYT MD-9600. There are at least 3 hardware revisions. Avoid a v1 unit at all costs. I don't know what's different between the v2 and v3 units, but the v3 seems to be the current version sold. Reviews are lackluster. Anytone announced a dual band DMR mobile, the AT-D587UV, and while there's been some pictures of the unit, I can't find it for sale anywhere. On the commercial side, I don't think anyone is doing a dual band DMR radio right now, but the Kenwood NX-5700/5800/5900 radios have an option for two rf decks and a single remote head. I've seen the dash mount units go for ~$700, you will also need a DMR license (around ~$40), and the Kenwood CPS. I've never used one but a friend had one and said the CPS was the worst thing he ever worked with and sold the radio. I can't imagine you'd get a dual deck setup with the CPS and DMR licences for under $2k. I don't think Moto's current XPR mobiles will do multiple RF decks with a single control head, you'd need dual heads and mics.

wrath

While there is some cross linked talkgroups, C4FM FDMA (Fusion) and DMR are not the same and are not compatable. The FTM-400DX does not do DMR . https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfmcmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=227201D29C822AEFF8482F3367495319&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0]

As stated above, at the moment, I think the only dual band DMR radio worth getting is the Connect Systems CS800D. If you need to transmit outside the ham bands, you may want to look at other options. The CS800D isn't Part 90 certified, though I heard they were at least considering getting it type accepted. Initially, they were unlocked, but a firmware update last year restricts tx to the ham bands only. It's got a really simple designe and won't win any beauty contests but I understand it's pretty simple to use. There's also the TYT MD-9600. There are at least 3 hardware revisions. Avoid a v1 unit at all costs. I don't know what's different between the v2 and v3 units, but the v3 seems to be the current version sold. Reviews are lackluster. Anytone announced a dual band DMR mobile, the AT-D587UV, and while there's been some pictures of the unit, I can't find it for sale anywhere. On the commercial side, I don't think anyone is doing a dual band DMR radio right now, but the Kenwood NX-5700/5800/5900 radios have an option for two rf decks and a single remote head. I've seen the dash mount units go for ~$700, you will also need a DMR license (around ~$40), and the Kenwood CPS. I've never used one but a friend had one and said the CPS was the worst thing he ever worked with and sold the radio. I can't imagine you'd get a dual deck setup with the CPS and DMR licences for under $2k. I don't think Moto's current XPR mobiles will do multiple RF decks with a single control head, you'd need dual heads and mics.
You missed the point of the horspot !the Yaesu works flawlessly as DMR radio using a hotspot, if you go direct into a repeater no it doesnt do DMR howcer go through a hotspot and your Iphone, android, or laptop and it does indeed transcode between fusion and DMR and vice versa .I built a hotspot into my headrest and use 2 radio a Yaesu for DMR/fusion and a Kenwood 74 for dstar .

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
You missed the point of the horspot !the Yaesu works flawlessly as DMR radio using a hotspot, if you go direct into a repeater no it doesnt do DMR howcer go through a hotspot and your Iphone, android, or laptop and it does indeed transcode between fusion and DMR and vice versa .I built a hotspot into my headrest and use 2 radio a Yaesu for DMR/fusion and a Kenwood 74 for dstar .

Hotspots are great, but what if you are in an area with no cell coverage? What if you don't currently have a data plan that allows hotspotting from your phone for data? What if you want to talk on a non networked talkgroup? Also, sure, while Brandmeister is the king of ham DMR, what if you want to use a networked talkgroup on a C-Bridge system like DMR-MARC that doesn't allow hotspot access? There's a lot of reasons for getting a radio built for the modulation type you want to do.

wrath

Hotspots are great, but what if you are in an area with no cell coverage? What if you don't currently have a data plan that allows hotspotting from your phone for data? What if you want to talk on a non networked talkgroup? Also, sure, while Brandmeister is the king of ham DMR, what if you want to use a networked talkgroup on a C-Bridge system like DMR-MARC that doesn't allow hotspot access? There's a lot of reasons for getting a radio built for the modulation type you want to do.
No your right in certain circumstances going through a repeater directly is the way to go to access some things. However for a bullet proof dual band radio that at this point in time can be had for for extremely competitive price to a CCR( Anything you get other than a Motorola is rebadged CCR,and many new Motorola's are themselves CCR,Unless you get the crazy price ones).
Now I have the "luxury" of living in a digital desert(soon to change we have two DMR machines in processes ) so my opinions have been formed by hotspot being required to do any digital radio mode ( one machine will be in range when the band's are open the other will still require a hotspot or echolink to get in ) .
It all comes down to trade offs and what are you willing to sacrifice to be on the air in certain spot ,for me I don't need a machine that doesn't allow hotspots ,i can play elsewhere ,and if I am going to spend my hard earned money on a radio ,it's going to be a quality radio ,not a CCR,i still own and use all but one radio i have purchased in 31 years in the hobby ,i won't sacrifice reliability, quality, or repairability in any mode to work it ,but that's just me .Some of my collection I know from friends having blown the same radio up ,don't put your soldering iron in it to fix it ,you won't, but I know which friend can fix it ,i also know many of the CCRS have unreasonably expensive parts if they can be purchased at all there are some common parts used in CCRS that can't be had for any price and there is no substitution parts,once they die you are SOL. those are things I am not willing to accept to be on the air .not to mention with trumps losing trade war ,the prices on CCRS has risen dramaticly and will not be cheaper or competitive with quality made radios( I say this because of what I saw in Dayton, and I do other things in related fields where it has already happened that Chinese knockoffs are more expensive than the quality stuff built in America, there are even companies that stopped making there own products and out sourced to China for inferior quality products ,that because of tariffs now cost the company 12-15,000 dollars to honor there warranty . I highly recommend if your going CCR do it quickly before your priced out .

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
I know one ham using the CS800D. He likes it, and unlike so many hams, has the programming/codeplug set correctly so sounds good. The CS series radios have had a good bit of time to get the bugs out. The Anytone AT-D587UV is supposed to be out anytime now, but as was with the rest of their offerings, expect several software/firmware revisions and bug fixes for the first year or so.

To each their own. Personally, I'm on Motorola and Kenwood. Not dual band, but they do what they are supposed to without fail. The Kenwood CPS is a one time buy vs Moto.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
For me, the only real disadvantage of using my hotspot(s) is that it is not possible to access a local repeater's "Local" talkgroup via the hotspot, given that the "Local" TG is not connected to the internet at all. It is possible however for a repeater owner to set up a new TG via Brandmeister that is routed locally to their "Local TG9".

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
But the OP wanted DUAL BAND DMR and ANALOG and a HOTSPOT will not do what the OP wants.
Using a hotspot does not disable the ability to use the radio for normal repeater operations...

Use one Zone for the hotspot
Use other Zones for normal repeater/simplex use on analog or DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.