Surecom SC-400 coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You have to be really careful with the "LMR equivalent" stuff. Some of it is made in China. While it may have the same overall dimensions, it may have less shielding, thinner jacket, different materials, etc.
Sure Call makes cellular boosters, and I doubt they have their own coaxial cable factory. It's probably something made for them, but unless you know for sure, it would be a gamble.

My approach to this sort of stuff is that decent coaxial cable should last you 10 years or more. The -real- cost isn't in the price of the cable, it's in the installation. Installing antennas can be hazardous, so cutting corners on the cable to save a few bucks now may very well bite you in the posterior later on. Having to go up in a few years and replace failed cable will be a royal pain.
So, you have to ask yourself if saving a few bucks now is worth the extra labor down the road...

You also need to be careful about "pre-installed" connectors. I've found that some use cheap connectors and hide that under strain relief or heat shrink. Cheap connectors will cause headaches down the road.

WX5812

Ok I already ordered 75ft of it for $38. So it’s a cheap gamble. I have swr and power meters so I can atleast make sure swr’s are good on the radio. Other than that what’s another way to tell quality of the coax? I’m running rg8x right now on a 70cm radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it works for you, then that's what matters.

At work, I stick to the brand name stuff and never had an issue. Not worth my time or reputation to save a few bucks. There's a number of things to consider...
Materials
Braid/shield cover
jacket material (will it stand up to long term UV exposure)
probably a few others I could come up with if I put my mind to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.