How many frequencies/feeds can 1 pc broadcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcmahonx

Hi,
I would like to know how many feeds can 1 pc provide?
Does it go by how many sound cards I have?
Does it go by how many scanners I have?

I'm interested in providing about 3 or 4 feeds but I guess I need to know how
much equipment I need to do that.

Thanks,

John

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
You need a scanner and a sound card input per feed. I have 2 scanners and 2 inputs providing 2 feeds on 1 desktop right now.

I'm waiting for software defined radios to get better software support for providing multiple audio feeds out of one chunk of SDR bandwidth.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
You need a scanner and a sound card input per feed. I have 2 scanners and 2 inputs providing 2 feeds on 1 desktop right now.

I'm waiting for software defined radios to get better software support for providing multiple audio feeds out of one chunk of SDR bandwidth.

Well now that needing a sound card input per scanner does NOT apply to 536HP of SDS 200 series scanners.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I have two SDS 200's feeding into 1 computer. Neither uses a sound card input as they are either wired LAN or Wireless LAN for audio. One scanner provides Broadcastify Feed, Web Server, and RSOIP. The other does webserver and RSOIP all using ProScan software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have a setup with 10 USB sound cards making recordings. I have streamed them in the past. The issues you'll run into are: Internet connection that can handle the number of streams you want to provide (4 doesn't take much); in my case I needed a powered USB hub to power the USB sound cards; the PC you're using has the speed/bandwidth/etc. Considering that many of us stream video with PCs now, several channels of audio is nothing by comparison.

johann8384

What are you waiting for exactly? I've been providing some 800mhz p25 Trunked and VHF analog streams with a PC and 2 Airspy SDR receivers for a few years now. I have 3 streaming servers in 3 counties to stream the entire trunked systems.

Last edited:

CaptMike2

Not trying to hijack this thread here but I have the same question as jmcmahonx does.
Recently purchased an SDS200 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago I started my own private feed using Proscan. Everything comes across my scanner I can listen to remotely on my smartphone.
Connection established from the SDS200 network cable to my router. Proscan is running on my desktop computer. My sound and connection with my SDS200 are all done through my network.

My question is can I isolate talk groups to be re-broadcast say to broadcastify? as there is only 1 broadcastify server for my area it is normally down more than it is up.

What I am trying to do is:
-I want to keep my private broadcast for my own listening pleasure and not have to worry about broadcasting information the Radio Reference does not approve of.
- Open a 2nd broadcast channel to uplink to broadcastify for 3 Police Dispatch talk groups.
- Open a 3rd broadcast channel to uplink to broadcastify for 2 Fire/EMS Dispatch talk groups + Fireground Channels.

This is all on the MARCS IP System. Trunked Digital Broadcast.

Is there a way to select a group or transmission to upload to broadcastify and ignore the rest?
If you tell me I need to buy 2 more scanners just to uplink a couple of talk groups that is not cost effective and feasible on my end.

Or just tell me I am trying to do the impossible. I been scouring the forums and see all kinds of scenarios but have not anything specific to my scenario.

Thank you for your time.
Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The simple answer is Yes

Use the Broadcast Lockout text file on the Broadcastify server. It will lock them off Broadcastify but still put them over web server or RSOIP.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CaptMike2

The simple answer is Yes

Use the Broadcast Lockout text file on the Broadcastify server. It will lock them off Broadcastify but still put them over web server or RSOIP.

Great, Thank you for the information. It gives me some Idea now how to do this.

CaptMike2

The simple answer is Yes

eaf1956, Thank you SOOOO much you are a life saver. This is exactly what I was looking for and pretty simple to do.

boatbod

I run 3 full op25/liquidsoap instances on a single NUC7 (Core i5) brick and it has cpu headroom for more. For plain analog feed provision it could handle man more feeds than it has USB ports :)

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I have an old HP thin client running two feeds. Based on current CPU utilization and memory load, it could run at least two more without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.