SDS100/SDS200: Low volume in AM mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

My only complaint about this scanner so far is that the volume on AM frequencies (mainly VHF aviation) is much lower that that for other modes, and lower than any of my other multimode scanners on AM. I can't make it loud enough for mobile monitoring without extreme distortion.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My only complaint about this scanner so far is that the volume on AM frequencies (mainly VHF aviation) is much lower that that for other modes, and lower than any of my other multimode scanners on AM. I can't make it loud enough for mobile monitoring without extreme distortion.

Filters don't make any difference?

mule1075

Feed Provider
Did you set the Volume offset to +3 to get around the distortion from cranking the volume way up?

WR9A

Feed Provider
If you're using memory channels for AM aviation monitoring, you can adjust volume levels for just those channels. Look in your owner's manual for "Individual channel volume offset".

Ubbe

I beleive it would not help using volume offset as he gets extreme distorsion, using normal volume settings per channel, when cranking up the volume. If it's possible to have louder audio in FM mode without distorsion then it's really strange. If there was a subtone in the audio it would overload the amplifier and speaker and result in that problem but airband doesn't use subtones.

But just as a test to get rid of any unaudible tones set CTCSS to Search for that search range or channels as that will engage a 250Hz high pass filter. I assume firmware upgrades have been done and the problem persists so no point in doing a reload. And when monitoring at home and compare FM with AM and what highest volume could be used, AM doesn't sound as loud without going into distorsion?

/Ubbe

D

DaveNF2G

Thanks for the tips. Usually, a receive volume problem can be traced to an excessively wide passband. I will do some experimenting with the filters over the holiday weekend.

Thanks to all who commented. Everyone made useful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.