Coca Cola 600 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

All right folks, howsa bouts a catch-all thread for related activities this weekend?

Goodyear Blimp sightings?

Info on Mil flyover/demo team type stuff? I don't even know exactly who/what will be the jet flyover and only a vague time frame of "before the race starts".

As for the flyover in addition to the normal CLT VHF freqs I have noted:

and for the A2A stuff

KJQF tower on 134.65 might have some stuff too.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Haven't seen the Goodyear blimp this year around town or over the speedway. Don't even see any banner planes over the track right now. Looks like things should pick up around 4:20 with the Blackhawks Demonstration & Repelling team start.

spacellamaman

oh well thanks for the update. with any luck i can get there in time to see the post race traffic snarl. accidentally just came across this from last year :

https://racingnews.co/2018/05/30/un...e-radio-frequencies-during-nascar-race-audio/

"Kyle Busch went 5 laps without radio communication. There was a backup radio in the car. It just took him that long to figure out how to get it turned on."

not a multi-tasker i see.... apparently needs to practice driving with his knees more. i can give lessons if you're listening Kyle. It'll cost ya tho...

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Heard Concord KJQF tell a chopper that was headed to the track to "contact speedway control" before they landed at the speedway. Unfortunately they didn't mention a freq.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
So far all traffic has been on 134.65, Concord A/P KJQF.
N423LL 182 Skyhawk, jumpers with flag
Army 20287 flight, 2 choppers for the Repelling demo.
287 flight was talking/coordinating with 423LL on the Concord 134.65 freq.
Condord was working"Race 4" & "Race 5", helos shuttling people from the raceway to the Charlotte airport. Concord mentioned "Speedway Control" was on "3.025".
I'm assuming it's 123.025 since 133.025 appears to be Boston ATC.

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
123.025 is a helicopter air-to air frequency. You will probably hear coordination of helicopter traffic including tv camera crews,and ferrying of vip passengers in and out of the racetrack and some will be race drivers personal helicopters. The ending of the helicopter tail number will usually be drivers initials or race team owners.

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Just heard Army 20188 going from the speedway to the Concord Airport with "a gentleman dangling from a rope below us." Through my binoculars from 12 mi away, I could see something below him. Interesting.

N4ANJ, thanks, freq sounded familiar. Unfortunately I can't hear the ground side of the conversation. I've not seen or heard any TV aircrews yet. I assume that they will have some tonight.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Haven't seen the Goodyear blimp this year around town or over the speedway. ....

Seeing live aerial shots and credit is being given to Goodyear, with a blimp graphic on screen, but looking at two radars and only seeing a Cessna T206H tail N505HV from Helivision flying circles over the speedway.

Screenshot 2019-05-26 18.16.03.png

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Legacy flight 11, 2 V-22's did the national anthem fly over in helo configuration. Concord mentioned the TV plane at 3000ft above the speedway & a helo, Race 4, hovering at 1000ft east of the track to them. I've not seen nor heard boo from the TV plane. I can see the helo though.

After Legacy 11 did the fly over they turned east & rendezvoused with 2 other V-22's & went back for a 2nd flyby in airplane configuration. They landed at the Concord A/P.

Only traffic I heard from Legacy Flight 11 was with Concord A/P on 134.65. Could not find their coordinating freq.

spacellamaman

the army choppers were on 69.425FM, and finally caught 228.000AM being used by the ospreys right as they were about to land at concord having finished up the whole thing. don't feel bad about missing the co-ord freqs as it was luck that i had 69.425 in a "known prev active" list i always leave running in the background and 30mins with signal stalker on caught 228.000 only one time. everything else i had running thru 299.0-305.0 anticipating jets.

i sure wish i woulda known it was going to be all be rotorwing and no fixed wing jet cause i left a great spot for one much, much further away because i had very little sighting distance for any fast-movers, that of course never came....typical.

and that video may have been provided by goodyear, but by the goodyear cessna. cute. its things like this that re-enforce my belief in sticking with cheap off-brand tires.

i am a bit miffed over the whole thing frankly. i got my moneys worth. $0.00. i am begining to re-think my position on military budget cuts too.

chris8video

the army choppers were on 69.425FM, and finally caught 228.000AM being used by the ospreys right as they were about to land at concord having finished up the whole thing. don't feel bad about missing the co-ord freqs as it was luck that i had 69.425 in a "known prev active" list i always leave running in the background and 30mins with signal stalker on caught 228.000 only one time. everything else i had running thru 299.0-305.0 anticipating jets.

i sure wish i woulda known it was going to be all be rotorwing and no fixed wing jet cause i left a great spot for one much, much further away because i had very little sighting distance for any fast-movers, that of course never came....typical.

and that video may have been provided by goodyear, but by the goodyear cessna. cute. its things like this that re-enforce my belief in sticking with cheap off-brand tires.

i am a bit miffed over the whole thing frankly. i got my moneys worth. $0.00. i am begining to re-think my position on military budget cuts too.
TV has been using the little Cessnas at most of the races in the past few year for aerial coverage....a lot cheaper than the chopper of the blimp.

During the All Star Race even Mike Joy joked (off camera I was in the FOX NASCAR booth shooting a feature on DW) that he wasn't sure if it was really the blimp or not.

They only bring in the blimps for the biggest races of the year. So, yes, I'm surprised it wasn't here. I can't remember if it was in previous years.

chris8video

I which I would've pre-planned to have my scanners set up for the aerial part of the day. Would've really made this even more spectacular....

spacellamaman

I which I would've pre-planned to have my scanners set up for the aerial part of the day. Would've really made this even more spectacular....

yeah it would have been cooler, but considering the lengths i have had to go to to figure out whats being used, if i had a front row seat like you/everyone at the actual race, i would prob skip it cause will definately miss something that is actually happening. whereas i am a couple of miles away on a hill, i ain't missing much regardless.

besides the KCLT/KJQF freqs there is little hope of finding anything easily. Signal Stalker is my best friend on these occasions and with regards to 69.425 this year, that was just really good luck since, as far as I know, any scanner with Spectrum Sweeper/Stalker ability doesn't cover 55-88mhz. i certainly wasn't going to waste my time setting up a separate scanner to run thru low-band at 25khz considering the window of time. but i have a scan list of all previous encountered localish low band freqs, and thats how that happened.

TV has been using the little Cessnas at most of the races in the past few year for aerial coverage....a lot cheaper than the chopper of the blimp.

During the All Star Race even Mike Joy joked (off camera I was in the FOX NASCAR booth shooting a feature on DW) that he wasn't sure if it was really the blimp or not.

They only bring in the blimps for the biggest races of the year. So, yes, I'm surprised it wasn't here. I can't remember if it was in previous years.

wasn't sure if it was the blimp? how big does something have to be before people happen to notice it? i mean, it blocks out the sun. :)

2016 and 2018 are the only two previous i have been in the area for and i don't remember the blimp in '16 but def last year

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/anyone-catch-the-goodyear-blimp-n1a.370804/

i don't follow racing at all but i always thought the 600 was one of the real big deal races, like at least top 10, so i was bummed about no blimp. Then seeeriously put-out with the hot-doggin jet fighter snub. i mean i like ospreys like the next guy, but generally speaking, i only see jets when there is a race, once a year....plus i had my whole photographic gameplan optimized, with no time to change on the fly.

*insert rant about military spending priorities and overall negative opinion about taxes here*

-so a cameraguy for DW eh? got some good stories ya feel like sharing? huh huh? i bet you doooo... this year, any year, etc cause i bet, even tho its work, with a capital w to you, it still has to be interesting.

i'm waiting...

chris8video

wasn't sure if it was the blimp? how big does something have to be before people happen to notice it? i mean, it blocks out the sun. :)
To be fair, Mike Joy can't see UP from in the booth. See below.
Then seeeriously put-out with the hot-doggin jet fighter snub. i mean i like ospreys like the next guy, but generally speaking, i only see jets when there is a race, once a year....
Yeah, I was dissapointed they didn't flyover the jets too. And the Osprey's could've at least picked up the pace.
*insert rant about military spending priorities and overall negative opinion about taxes here*
I don't think they're spending any extra money to do any of this, just shifting a training day to this location is how I understand it. They're gonna fly somewhere anyway.
-so a cameraguy for DW eh? got some good stories ya feel like sharing? huh huh? i bet you doooo... this year, any year, etc cause i bet, even tho its work, with a capital w to you, it still has to be interesting.
Not for DW but about DW....
i'm waiting...
Here ya go...

Baddad

Premium Subscriber

Chris8video,

VERY cool video of the helos. I must have misunderstood the pilot when he was talking to Concord tower & said that he had a gentlemAn dangling from the rope below him. He had gentlemEn! I was wondering why I could see 1 guy hanging from the Chopper from 12 miles away! There were 8!

Status
Not open for further replies.