DMR mobile (not handheld) suggestions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the CS800D. I have three of their radios and all work as they are expected. Support on a couple of questions I had were answered by Jerry himself, and I have met him at the Hamvention. I have been using the CS800D for about three months and have no problems other than ones caused by not reading the manual when I should.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Post #1 says MOBILE TRADITIONAL RADIO
Actually, the entire quote is:
"I'm looking for a unit that does uhf/vhf along with DMR and traditional analog capabilities."

The suggested CS800D is a DMR as well as a "traditional analog" mobile radio. What's the problem with that? It directly addresses the needs expressed in Post #1... :cool:

DxAs2.png

A hotspot is an external device that simply functions as a half-duplex repeater, and allows one to program any Talk Groups they wish into a separate Zone in the CS800D radio's memory. It was suggested as a handy option to expand on the CS800D's native abilities.

I keep my hotspot in a small plastic "dry ammo box" along with a 2000Ah battery and a 4GLTe WiFi router.

wrath

Actually, the entire quote is:
"I'm looking for a unit that does uhf/vhf along with DMR and traditional analog capabilities."

The suggested CS800D is a DMR as well as a "traditional analog" mobile radio. What's the problem with that? It directly addresses the needs expressed in Post #1... :cool:

DxAs2.png

A hotspot is an external device that simply functions as a half-duplex repeater, and allows one to program any Talk Groups they wish into a separate Zone in the CS800D radio's memory. It was suggested as a handy option to expand on the CS800D's native abilities.

I keep my hotspot in a small plastic "dry ammo box" along with a 2000Ah battery and a 4GLTe WiFi router.
Nicely put, it amazes me the number of people who have no idea what a hotspot can be usefull for ,and some quite honestly have probably never programmed let alone used a radio ,who start with DMR ,it has a very unfriendly learning & proficiency curve ,then again I see many new hams that are not operators ,more towards using an appliance . On a side but related note these days the cellular and WiFi grid is in more places than ham access to repeaters ,and those who don't avail themselves of the technology and local RF groups as well as the greater access afforded by hotspots are the same people calling ham radio "dead" and selling there gear before they even learn what it can do .in the Fire service us older guys have to be resposable for our selves and our probie's going home at the end of tour ,we need to institute that in radio ,a new guy has to have both a license and a co signed Elmer before they ever get near a radio to ensure they know what they are doing ,weed & feed weed out the appliance crowd and feed the hobby fresh innovative next generation blood .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I did not understand your point I posted the link to the CS800D and stated he was looking for a traditional mobile radio and you ask what my problem was. Take a deep breath the OP wants a Traditional Mobile not a Hot Spot.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Nicely put, it amazes me the number of people who have no idea what a hotspot can be usefull for ,and some quite honestly have probably never programmed let alone used a radio ,who start with DMR ,it has a very unfriendly learning & proficiency curve...

I bought the new BFD (Big Freaking Display) for my mobile CS800 to replace the tiny 2"x0.5" amber display on the front panel. It is much BIGGER than I expected, but that ain't all bad! It has a 7" diagonal full color touchscreen display. :cool:

I had to spend a few pleasant hours updating the CPS, firmware and software in the CS800 before the display could be installed. Man, talk about a complicated procedure! One nearly needs to be a software engineer to accomplish the complete task. It's a good thing I are one... software engineer that is. :LOL:

To illustrate the size of this display, here it is in front of my IC-7300:
DxI99.png

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I did not understand your point I posted the link to the CS800D and stated he was looking for a traditional mobile radio and you ask what my problem was. Take a deep breath the OP wants a Traditional Mobile not a Hot Spot.
I suggested the same CS800D as well, which was an endorsement and second-opinion of your recommendation.

I simply offered a suggestion to think about a hotspot as an additional to enhance the capabilities of the radio.

wrath

I bought the new BFD (Big Freaking Display) for my mobile CS800 to replace the tiny 2"x0.5" amber display on the front panel. It is much BIGGER than I expected, but that ain't all bad! It has a 7" diagonal full color touchscreen display. :cool:

I had to spend a few pleasant hours updating the CPS, firmware and software in the CS800 before the display could be installed. Man, talk about a complicated procedure! One nearly needs to be a software engineer to accomplish the complete task. It's a good thing I are one... software engineer that is. [emoji38]

To illustrate the size of this display, here it is in front of my IC-7300:
DxI99.png
Now that's a badass display !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Now that's a badass display !
It requires a four hole AMPS adapter, so I ordered a 22" gooseneck mount that I'll attach to the right pax seat bolt. I don't think I'll have any problems reading that screen. A neat feature they included is the ability to pre-select up to 16 favorite Zones and up to 16 favorite channels+zones for fast access via the touchscreen. o_O

PsychoMike

Well if your not looking for any specific brand but just a dual band that will do DMR I belive there are certain chinese brands with that feature set, like the TYT MD9600 and the Anytone AT-D578UV, I cant speak about the reliability or performance since I do not own either of the 2.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, it seems clear to me that the OP is looking for a mobile radio that does VHF/UHF DMR and analog. Let's try to answer the OP's question and leave the discussion of other types of devices and other modes for a different thread.

W2TFD

Premium Subscriber
I also have just received a Connect Systems CS-800D. They have 2 certified models, 1 for amateur and the other for business. There is a price difference between them. What the difference is I don’t know. They also have an optional screen style control head that has options for connection to other amateur manufactures radios. The screen graphics is not high quality but the price is not what MOTOROLA would charge.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I also have just received a Connect Systems CS-800D. They have 2 certified models, 1 for amateur and the other for business. There is a price difference between them. What the difference is I don’t know. They also have an optional screen style control head that has options for connection to other amateur manufactures radios. The screen graphics is not high quality but the price is not what MOTOROLA would charge.
I have two CS800 (UHF) as well as a CS800D (ham). I have one of the CS800's in my car along with the BFD (Big Freaking Display). There as some truly fantastic features on the BFD, among which is the ability to set up to 16 "Favorite Zones & Talk Groups for quick access with two touches on the screen, which is truly handy when driving! I've got all of the Indiana and Illinois DMR Repeaters programmed as well as all of the UHF analog repeaters for both states. Having my "favorites" available for instant recall is a true blessing for this old man with his tired eyes! :ROFLMAO:

One of these days I'll unbox the CS800D, program it and swap it into my car. I highly recommend these radios...

bill4long

While there is some cross linked talkgroups, C4FM FDMA (Fusion) and DMR are not the same and are not compatable. The FTM-400DX does not do DMR

No, it's not just about crosslinked talk groups. If one is using a hotspot, the hotspots do cross connect to the various networks, because the AMBE2 vocoder is used the in radios. All the digital modes are cross compatible except for DStar which uses the older AMBE vocoder which cannot be decoded by AMBE2 vocoder and vice versa. The cross connection occurs in the hotspots. Fusion radios have no problem talking to DMR networks going thru a hotspot. And vice versa.

But if one is going to just use repeaters, then you are correct.

bill4long

Anytone is coming out with a DMR mobile. It has been released in other countries, and should be released any day now in the USA. It is DMR and analog, three bands, 2m, 220 and 440. You might want to wait for that. But I think the CS800 has a removable control head. The Anytone does not. But it does have Bluetooth, GPS and 220 band.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Anytone is coming out with a DMR mobile. It has been released in other countries, and should be released any day now in the USA. It is DMR and analog, three bands, 2m, 220 and 440. You might want to wait for that.

Actually, the Anytone AT-578uv analog/DMR amateur tri-band mobile has been available here (USA) for the last month or two, primarily from two vendors... Connect Systems and Bridgecom. A Part 90 commercial model should be available later this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.