Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

BigDaddy419

It has been active in Frederick County for several years now. They will be adding more sites over time, but these are the ones within the county:

Bridgeport
Gambrills Mtn
Marlu Ridge

Sites in neighboring counties fill in coverage near their borders.

Ok, thanks!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here's a crowd sourced performance report of various radios on various systems. The TRX-1 does poorly on Maryland FIRST Cecil Simulcast site - bottom of the list:

performance.JPG

maus92

Premium Subscriber
As one would expect on a holiday weekend, the DNR TGs have been busy today. From what I observed today, it appears that Park Rangers with law enforcement powers operate in the 75xx TGs, while the more operations oriented traffic is in the 142xx range. A lot of traffic on the "14204 State Park Ops" TG was mentioning the "Avalon" area, which is part of the Patapsco Valley State Park.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This morning, there was a lot of Anne Arundel County traffic on the SHA District 2 TG, which is supposed to be the Upper Eastern Shore area. Perhaps there was a patch between several SHA Districts?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I've seen many Superpatches enabled since Friday.
There was one that brought Area 2, 5, 6 & 8 together last night.. :geek:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Drove through the shore today...

Worcester/Wicomico Site
7531 - Keyup
7592 - Parks activity. Unknown which one.
7594 - Pocomoke River State Park - Shad's Landing (Both Park Rangers & Maintenance Active)

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
As one would expect on a holiday weekend, the DNR TGs have been busy today. From what I observed today, it appears that Park Rangers with law enforcement powers operate in the 75xx TGs, while the more operations oriented traffic is in the 142xx range. A lot of traffic on the "14204 State Park Ops" TG was mentioning the "Avalon" area, which is part of the Patapsco Valley State Park.

It does seem pretty active today. Hopefully they will continue to use FiRST throughout the Summer. I tried to figure out some of these talkgroups last year but they were so infrequent used and users switched around talkgroups on a daily basis. Last year at least Patapsco, Gunpowder, North Point, Sandy Point were primarily using their conventional frequencies and at times FiRST.

Last year it also appeared for someone reasons some of the talkgroups were contentiously patched to other talkgroups. But maybe some talkgroups were some kind of All Call type of talkgroups that were then patched into other talkgroups.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Would a indoor tv antenna work for improving the range of the system ?
Most likely not, but you can give it a shot. Just don’t buy one you cannot return. A Remtronix gets about 5dB gain, which is pretty good.

Remember that FIRST is designed for portable on street coverage, and not building interior locations. Not sure if Cecil will be using DVRS to supplement coverage within the county.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Would a indoor tv antenna work for improving the range of the system ?

It's possible, cheaper than a new radio for sure; but who knows? Worth a shot if you already have it. :unsure: I wouldn't go out and buy one just to try it out though, but that's just me... (I guess it could be returned if it failed) I'd be looking at/pricing an SDS100 or, If that's just too steep a price; Then a BCD436HP would probably work (Possibly used). Take a look at the chart posted above by maus92..

neilhuss

Fire6man
I already have an indoor tv amplified antenna i forgot about having .. The sds 100 is steep in price , But talking to the seller that i recieved the trx 1 from .. They maybe willing to let me trade it in for the uniden ? Time will tell i guess ? Now i need to get a bnc to f type r adapter to try the antenna .. Sitting here looking at 5 bars on the signal , But no voice just a slight burst of noise .

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If you are getting 5 bars and no voice decode, then I would suspect there might be a noise / interference source nearby that the radio is incapable of filtering out. Lack of signal doesn’t seem to be your problem . A super directional antenna aka Yagi would be worth a shot, but its really designed for outdoor mounting. A Yagi would conceivably reject signals it’s not pointed at; an indoor TV antenna is more or less omni, and unlikely to help. But who knows until you try. I still think an SDS scanner or a G4/5 is your best bet, a 436/536 might work better than a TRX-1/2 as well.

neilhuss

Fire6man
Yes , Looks like the NAC 4A4 is displaying .. Along with a S , Which i guess means which way the signal is coming from ? Dg keeps popping on and off as well .. The ( S ) is in the bottom right corner .. Not the signal strength .. Had to clarify that .

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber