RIP Genesee Law Enforcement Scanners and Hobbyists

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyingPilot

MPSCS Newbie
*Note to admins, this is not a rant!*

--Plays sad music--

Today, May 30th of the year 2019, we grieve the loss of a system loved by all - Genesee County Law Enforcement -
switching to an encrypted system on this day at fifteen-hundred hours Eastern Daylight Time.

----
So I don't actually live in or near Genesee County (Benzie), however, I still feel for the radio and police enthusiasts who do. Sorry that this has to happen to you guys. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
----
Big change coming to your ability to listen to police radio traffic in Genesee County

Last edited:

RayAir

Oh don't worry about us. We will still have all of the MTA bus talk groups to listen to with all the useless long winded waste of system resources that they provide.
Thanks for your concern though.

GeneseeCoMI

Oh don't worry about us. We will still have all of the MTA bus talk groups to listen to with all the useless long winded waste of system resources that they provide.
Thanks for your concern though.

It's only police, not fire and EMS, so still plenty to listen to.

Besides them going to the E side, the other thing that makes me mad is the millage that paid for the encryption was misleading to voters because they said it was for Phase II radios, which it obviously wasn't.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

It's only police, not fire and EMS, so still plenty to listen to.
As a retired LEO, I generally just monitor police. Not quite time to start selling off SDSs.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

GeneseeCoMI

As a retired LEO, I generally just monitor police. Not quite time to start selling off SDSs.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Police have always been my favorite service to listen to as well.

I'd like to see a list of all of people convicted of violating the Michigan scanner law to prove "The bad guys are listening" as the 911 commissioner in the NBC 25 article says. I actually believe most cops and prosecutors aren't even aware of its existence.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

We used to register mobile scanners with Michigan State Police. They got rid of the requirement about 20 years ago. I doubt they used 'bad guys listen to us' argument then.

I realize things change, but programming in a p25 system is hard to do.

In my experience bad guys are usually challenged in critical thought processes.

73, K8HIT

GeneseeCoMI

We used to register mobile scanners with Michigan State Police. They got rid of the requirement about 20 years ago. I doubt they used 'bad guys listen to us' argument then.

I realize things change, but programming in a p25 system is hard to do.

In my experience bad guys are usually challenged in critical thought processes.

It wasn't a register, you had to have apply for and buy a license. After passing a criminal background check, they'd mail it to you. I actually had one, it's still laying around somewhere here I think. They changed the law requiring a license because someone from Ohio got pulled over with a scanner and ticketed for it while enroute to a race at the MIS. They appealed to the Michigan Supreme Court and won because the license was only available to Michigan residents, so they got rid of that part of the law. It was actually in 2006, so not quite 20 years.

Last edited:

GeneseeCoMI

It's just past 3 PM and I'm still hearing some Genesee Co police dispatchers and cop cars in the clear. They must have forgotten to hit the E switch. :)

Edit, nevermind, it seems to be both sides now.

Last edited:

w8fsm

Feed Provider
Just announced to change over....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 15.13.08.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 15.13.08.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 140

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
In my county, some radio traffic is encrypted, but dispatch and normal incidences are left open.

w8fsm

Feed Provider
I'm picking up E on some of the private fire TG's too. NBC 25 didn't mention them.
Because they have that on the proprietary fire tg's as well.. NBC25 didn't bother to really ask the right questions ether.. Took the line from the director... It's not about keeping the bad guys from listening.. it's about stopping the social media jack asses from showing up and facebook live streaming from incidents.. it's what started it in the 911 advisory committee meeting over 2 years ago.. then lead to the we need more monies for "upgrades" to replace our "pagers" when it was to pay for the new radios to get ENC..

GeneseeCoMI

Because they have that on the proprietary fire tg's as well.. NBC25 didn't bother to really ask the right questions ether.. Took the line from the director... It's not about keeping the bad guys from listening.. it's about stopping the social media jack asses from showing up and facebook live streaming from incidents.. it's what started it in the 911 advisory committee meeting over 2 years ago.. then lead to the we need more monies for "upgrades" to replace our "pagers" when it was to pay for the new radios to get ENC..

Well how'd they pay for the pagers then?

MLive says the 2017 millage was for both radios and pagers, and other stuff:

Campaign to raise surcharge for Genesee County 911 underway - mlive.com

Last edited:

w8fsm

Feed Provider
Well how'd they pay for the pagers then?

MLive says the 2017 millage was for both radios and pagers, and other stuff:

Campaign to raise surcharge for Genesee County 911 underway - mlive.com

The pagers were fine.. no need to upgrade.. Just because the state didn't want to maintain the VHF simulcast anymore wasn't a reason to junk it. The state wanted to push 800 paging so that's what started that mess too. A number of vendors would have been happy to "maintain" the VHF simulcast.. Motorola did for Livingston.. heck it built it a brand new simulcast here a few years ago..

GeneseeCoMI

The pagers were fine.. no need to upgrade.. Just because the state didn't want to maintain the VHF simulcast anymore wasn't a reason to junk it. The state wanted to push 800 paging so that's what started that mess too. A number of vendors would have been happy to "maintain" the VHF simulcast.. Motorola did for Livingston.. heck it built it a brand new simulcast here a few years ago..

Yeah I don't even listen to the pagegroups. I don't even have them programmed in either of my scanners. They're all simulcast on 2402 so no point IMO.

a29zuk

I listened on the way home from work as it was nearing 3pm. At 2:59pm the dispatcher, on the U-M Flint PD channel announced: "This is a reminder, in fifteen seconds we will be switching over, everyone don't forget to switch your radios over".
I still heard Genesee Co. Police South Dispatch and Flint City Police Dispatch until I got home. I turned the scanner on about an hour later and it was pretty quiet.
Sad day indeed.

I delayed purchasing an SDS scanner because I was hearing rumors that this day was going to happen. Unless I move the 325P2 will be all I need for local monitoring and vacations.

Jim

kc8vlv

Hey Freddie, will is still be able to stream it on Moses.biz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.