Thinking about purchasing an SDS100 - Already have a BCD436

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD8KND

Those are older videos. There's a more recent video from a RR member showing the SDS100 and G4 going neck and neck with each other.

I live in a county with a 15 tower LSM system and I can tell you my SDS100 won't shut up. It's like being back in the old analog only days. I only have a 325P2 and a Pro-106 to compare it to, and the SDS smokes them both. The best thing being I don't have to worry about where I listen, the SDS100 has great reception no matter what room I'm in. No moving it an inch to the left or right to have to find that "perfect" listening spot.

To the OP - I get 6 to 8 hours of listen time with mine (depending on what I have turned on), but I always carry a USB power bank for back up power, which can be used for a smartphone as well.
The video I watched is from July of 2018. 10 months ago.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your comments. I get similar reception quality with my 436 on P25....95% clear, and 5% garbled. Based on your comments and others, it seems the SDS 100 is better, but I have to ask myself is it worth the 649.00 ?
As far as build quality...I have many handhelds, scanners and receivers. I find the plastic build quality on the 436 to be poor. For over 400.00 it should be better. If you drop it it will most likely break or there will be some damage. Icom R20, Icom A14, Yaesu VR-6, Whistler WS1080, all have better build quality. This is just my opinion. The 436 is fine, but lacking in superior build quality. My cheap BC125AT has the same build quality.
Thanks again for your comments. hth999

SDS100 consumer "build quality" IMO is slightly better than the 436. It is not on par with commercial or industrial Mil Spec radios. My SDS regularly takes falls from 1.5 feet to a wood floor when something snags its charging cable, with no ill effect (so far.) For me, the SDS was necessary to overcome simulcast issues that the 436 could not. And its display is far superior.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Hello Everyone,
I have read many a review, post, and seen videos. I have a BCD436 that I use here in Pinellas County in Florida. I monitor a system called Pinellas County Services and it's P25 Phase 1. I also can receive Clearwater P2. Pinellas County System is a Simulcast. The 436 does a good job, and almost all transmissions are received very well. Occasionally, I get some garbled transmissions, but overall reception is very good. This is what I use it for 99 % of the time. I see the SDS100 has been out a while now. I read some comments saying the scanner is awesome for P25, others say not so good. I don't know who to believe these days. I am wondering if it is worth the 649.00 to buy a new one. The 436 is becoming older now. I know when I first made the purchase for the 436 I was not too happy with it's build quality, but it's a good scanner that is still going strong. I just have to be careful with it and NOT drop it.
Can someone tell me the build quality of the SDS100 ? I understand they are now shipping with the bigger battery, which I think is needed. How many hours do you get on a full charge ? Do you get a battery cradle ?
Now how about performance....as I mentioned, I am happy with my 436. Is the SDS100 worth 649 ? Right now I'm not interested in DMR, but may be in the future. I like the color screen, but would like to hear from some who have both the 436, and now the SDS100. Was it worth the purchase ? How about Build quality ? Audio quality ? Battery length ? Any information about your experience would help. Thanks for your time in reading this. hth999
If you need to receive simulcast systems get the 100 or 200. If you don't have simulcast issues no need to upgrade.

hth999

Thanks for everyone who responded. I did indeed order the SDS100, and should have it Thursday. I have no issues with my 436, but the system I monitor has 5 sites, and it is a simulcast system. I began to wonder how many transmissions I may be missing because the 436 can't keep up or it is not ideal for a simulcast system ? When I get the SDS100, I will use the same favorites list in the Sentinal software. Once updated, I'll do a side by side test using the same antenna ( RS 800 MHZ ) and we will see how it does. If performance is the same, or worse I'll send it back. The other reason is I like the color screen.....everyone knows the 436's screen is not the best. Thanks again to all. hth999

hth999

Thanks to all who responded. I decided to order the SDS100. It should have it by the end of the week. Plan on using the exact same scan lists through Sentinel. Both will be programmed the same. Then I'll do a side by side evaluation. Both scanners will have the same antenna ( RS 800 MHZ ) My P25 system is a simulcast system that I monitor.....we will see how well the SDS100 does. I'm ordering the SDS100 because I may be missing lots of transmissions with the 436 and I am not aware of it. Hopefully by this weekend I will know.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks to all who responded. I decided to order the SDS100. It should have it by the end of the week. Plan on using the exact same scan lists through Sentinel. Both will be programmed the same. Then I'll do a side by side evaluation. Both scanners will have the same antenna ( RS 800 MHZ ) My P25 system is a simulcast system that I monitor.....we will see how well the SDS100 does. I'm ordering the SDS100 because I may be missing lots of transmissions with the 436 and I am not aware of it. Hopefully by this weekend I will know.
If you are not aware of it then how do you know?

hth999

From previous people who responded, and what I have read. the 436 has a reputation for poor simulcast system operation. This is documented by many people. The SDS series advertises better reception with regard to simulcast systems.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
You will not be disappointed.
The SDS series scanner was developed for simulcast systems.
It will out perform the 36 series Hands Down.
No comparison.

Tom

K5mow

I agree I don’t believe you will be disappointed in the SDS scanners.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hth999

Received my SDS100 on Thursday. Using the same favorites or scan lists as the 436. Updated the firmware, very similar to the 436. I had no problems updating thru Sentinel. The SDS100 as many have mentioned is an excellent scanner, and does a better job with Simulcast. I can tell you now after a few days the SDS100 is the better scanner....at least in my area. The 436 is still excellent, but I have 2 Favorites ( Fire and EMS ) that would have problems with reception. Not bad on the 436, but a HUGH improvement with the SDS100. The Fire Dept is now very active ! Running side by side and using the Fire Dept or EMS scan list, the clear winner was the SDS100. Much more activity. My thanks to all who contributed to my comments. Most were positive about the SDS100, and now I'm very glad I made the purchase. As one person who replied to the post " Mine won't shut up " I understand now.....mine is just as active. Great scanner.

blackbelter

I am also in the same thought process of buying an SDS100 while owning a fully upgraded 436. I have the opportunity to sell my perfect 436 however you will never be able to recover the vested $$ .

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I am also in the same thought process of buying an SDS100 while owning a fully upgraded 436. I have the opportunity to sell my perfect 436 however you will never be able to recover the vested $$ .
Buy the SDS 100 and keep the 436

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eng74

You can never have too many radios. They are becoming like golf clubs, different ones for different shots or in the case of scanners different systems. I have some systems where Uniden’s work better or GRE/Whistler work better or they are both the same. I think we can all agree the P25 standard doesn’t make all radio systems the same.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
I'll be purchasing the SDS 100 this Thursday. I was using my old Cadillac (bcd396xt). I drop it too many times. It finally went out last week. The 396xt was picking up signals 50+ miles. I'll be sending it to Uniden for repair soon. If they still fix on the XT models

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.