• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zip Code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadWolf

I'm sure that legions will reply about how I'm not posting this in the correct place, or that I should read the never ending FAQ's and every post that conceivably might possibly hold the answer, and that this thread is somehow ruining somebody's day because they answered a similar question 3 years ago, and they believe they should have been awarded a golden sticky and was cheated out of it.... but if there is anybody here willing suppress these, or similar urges, and willing to simply answer my question I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've experienced the bug that prevents Chirp from downloading from here, if you have a Canadian postal code. Stand down, I've read the threads about how this issue has nothing to do with this place and that a bug report should be directed toward the developers of Chirp and all, but for 4 years apparently, those gentlemen have not responded in any way at all, so here it is.

Is the zip code in any way required by RR, or is it just a quaint affectation that Chirp inflicts on it's Canadian users as revenge for us burning down the White house back in the day? What exactly is the relevance of a zip code when a username and pass code are in place? I can't help myself from thinking that perhaps, from the behavior I observe,during the failed connection attempts, namely the RR server rejecting the connection from Chirp, that RR might indeed have a part to play in this whole zip code conflict. I am aware I could research the protocol for interacting with the RR database, but rather than spend hours going over the code, I thought I'd exercise a little optimism and rely on good old human kindness, and maybe get a sensible, succinct and civil response to my question. lol I know, I know..

I promise that I won't make a habit of this type of thing.

dmaria

I haven't used Chirp for several years. I didn't realize it had a connection to Radio Reference, but it may have to do with the fact that it uses the zip code to send the correct local info for repeaters.

N4KVE

Hey don’t feel bad. My Canadian parents spend their winters in Florida, & many credit card machines here will not accept his Canadian Visa card. When the machine asks for his ZIP code, & he punches in his code, H4W 2C8, it is refused because the machine is looking for an American 12345 type code.

DotNM

Feed Provider
N4KVE said:
Hey don’t feel bad. My Canadian parents spend their winters in Florida, & many credit card machines here will not accept his Canadian Visa card. When the machine asks for his ZIP code, & he punches in his code, H4W 2C8, it is refused because the machine is looking for an American 12345 type code.
N4KVE, just for your information as a fellow Canadian - if you're asked for a ZIP code for a Canadian credit or debit card, the way to make it go through is to enter the numbers only (ignoring the letters) of the postal code followed by 00. Using the postal code you mentioned, H4W 2C8, you would enter 42800 and it will go through.

OneBadWolf

N4KVE, just for your information as a fellow Canadian - if you're asked for a ZIP code for a Canadian credit or debit card, the way to make it go through is to enter the numbers only (ignoring the letters) of the postal code followed by 00. Using the postal code you mentioned, H4W 2C8, you would enter 42800 and it will go through.

Does not work on Chirp. It was worth trying though. I'll investigate whether that is a bank thing, or part of a larger formal standard.
Thanks to the rest of you all for the overwhelming response to my question. Particularly why with a name and pass code verification, a ZIP is mandatory.

I understand that "it may have to do with the fact that "it uses the zip code to send the correct local info for repeaters." I get that, however the possibility of incorrect information is by far preferable to the certainty of no information.

Status
Not open for further replies.