Band opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike445

Right now I’m standing in the Leaside area of Toronto Ontario Canada and I am clearly monitoring the Niagara New York County simulcast system on my SDS 100 with the Diamond RH789 antenna.

I’m going to guess or some sort of band opening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You wouldn't be atop the CN Tower, would you? :D You're roughly 45 miles from the transmitting site in Niagara County. Considering that 35 of the 45 is open water, it may not be that much of a stretch to capture this UHF signal. On the other hand, tropospheric ducting may be the cause. Many years back, I monitored the NYPD on UHF from my home in Westerly, RI, some 118 miles distant! That was mostly over the open water of Long Island Sound.

Mike445

You wouldn't be atop the CN Tower, would you? :D You're roughly 45 miles from the transmitting site in Niagara County. Considering that 35 of the 45 is open water, it may not be that much of a stretch to capture this UHF signal. On the other hand, tropospheric ducting may be the cause. Many years back, I monitored the NYPD on UHF from my home in Westerly, RI, some 118 miles distant! That was mostly over the open water of Long Island Sound.

Surprisingly I was in the middle of the city. Lots of buildings surrounding me. It was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.