Birmingham FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
Guys i really hate to report this.
Birmingham fire is now using encryption on the main dispatch channel.
I have heard it multiple times today.
I am afraid its coming to a end.
after close to 40 years its time to unplug the coax and ease on down the road.
The magic city has lost its magic .
i just cannot figure it out why a fire department wants to encrypt a dispatch channel.
To me it just seems like there is nothing to listen to any more.
Its either encryption or First Net that is killing scanners.

Hahaha, wow. And just like dominoes they all start to fall. I'd be willing to be that within the next year most departments on the AFRN in Jefferson County will be encrypted.

It's a real shame, but not a surprise.

Now that two of the main users in the county are doing it I see no reason that the rest of the users won't soon follow suit as well. I'm just thankful I got to enjoy this hobby for about 10 years before it died out. Maybe down the road I'll live in an area without E and I'll be able to fire up the scanners again.

Last edited:

BHAMalan

As of 19:42 I was picking up BFD on the Wenonah tower, the Huffman tower, and the Simulcast, all clear. Without the E...for now

Jtolar

Chief Dog Petter - Radio Junkie
I am listening to this manhunt on JCSO channel 1 for the guy that shot at the BPD officer during a traffic stop. I was looking at the number of people listening to the feed and was wondering how many are the ones in the area where the suspect is? Are they hunkered down in the house listening to JCSO in the clear thanking God they can hear what is happening around them. Does it give them more comfort knowing what is going on?

Here’s hoping that JCSO stays clear.

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing BFRS on Huffman/St. Vincent's site in the clear for now from Clay. I work for BFRS and the only thing we've done so far was reprogram all our radios for the P25 upgrade over the last week. I know BPD encrypted all their stuff. As I understood, we (BFRS) we're going to encrypt everything BUT dispatch.

BHAMalan

I am listening to this manhunt on JCSO channel 1 for the guy that shot at the BPD officer during a traffic stop. I was looking at the number of people listening to the feed and was wondering how many are the ones in the area where the suspect is? Are they hunkered down in the house listening to JCSO in the clear thanking God they can hear what is happening around them. Does it give them more comfort knowing what is going on?

Here’s hoping that JCSO stays clear.

I’ve been torn with this for some time, when it comes to encryption.

As a scanner enthusiast: I’ve carried a scanner with me almost everywhere, on and off for most of my life....I’m not for encryption.
As the husband of a deputy: knowing that someone could be on a feed or have a scanner, listening and tipping off “the bad guy” or using info given out on the radio to potentially cause harm to my wife or her coworkers....I’m all for encryption.
Encrypt the specialty channels but leave the main dispatch channels open.

Jtolar

Chief Dog Petter - Radio Junkie
As I understood, we (BFRS) we're going to encrypt everything BUT dispatch.

I don't listen to BFRS a lot but with selection dwindling, I hope that is the case. I can still pick up Centerpoint FD on my analog scanner and on AFRN which is one I monitor.

medic9351301

Banned
well i cant hear jack crap on the new system so next time i go to the grocery store.
all my radios are going in the dumpster.
my only hope was birmingham fire would not encypt the tac channels but oh well .
to all the guys on here its been a wild wild over the past 40 years but.
i cant get no enjoyment out of this bs any more. it nothing but a really big pain in the ***
yall take care .

dave911

Premium Subscriber
They’re reworking the towers. Even my police portable has trouble in areas. Give it some time. Telvue will be a simulcast tower and you’ll be able to hear that.

medic9351301

Banned
I’ve been torn with this for some time, when it comes to encryption.

As a scanner enthusiast: I’ve carried a scanner with me almost everywhere, on and off for most of my life....I’m not for encryption.
As the husband of a deputy: knowing that someone could be on a feed or have a scanner, listening and tipping off “the bad guy” or using info given out on the radio to potentially cause harm to my wife or her coworkers....I’m all for encryption.
Encrypt the specialty channels but leave the main dispatch channels open.

Before the election i personally asked Mike Hale point blank if he was going to encrypted. He said no expect the vice and swat channels.
But with the new sheriff who knows. I have seen on here that nopd is fully encrypted . And there is talk of nypd going fully encrypted.
But

I'm glad I'm going to be out of town off and on for the next few months. Hopefully when I'm back everything will be sorted out.

I can hear JCSO from my home in Clay using the Palmerdale site. BFRS works if I use the Huffman site but not as clear. In my car I can use the new simulcast site if I'm south of Red Mountain. North of it, like around downtown, it doesn't work at all really. Very garbled.

Para078

well i cant hear jack crap on the new system so next time i go to the grocery store.
all my radios are going in the dumpster.
my only hope was birmingham fire would not encypt the tac channels but oh well .
to all the guys on here its been a wild wild over the past 40 years but.
i cant get no enjoyment out of this bs any more. it nothing but a really big pain in the ***
yall take care .

I'll give you my address and you can send them to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.