Kern County Fire Station Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I am in Ridgecrest now and it sounds like it's all on KERN-1. Not every call gets 2-toned, however.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Most stations are toned out on mircrowave system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How is the data getting to the fire stations? I can't imagine each station has a microwave hop to a site. Do they use Telco leased lines either 3002 circuits or 56K DDS type? I imagine channel banks are involved to break out the T1's into channels.

Colton25

I only hear tones on 1 when a battalion is assigned, for station they say the station number then pause as if a tone is being sent then the call is dispatched.

Eng74

The primary tone out system known as the Ztron. The 2-tone quick call is a back up for the stations. Battalion chiefs pagers, Mercy Air 14, Medivac 1, California City, Copters 407, 408, and hand crews all use the 2-tone as their primary notification. The 2-tone is tested at 9:00 am every morning, it is also used for county wide APB’s. The tones are listed here in the Wiki. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Kern_County_(CA)#Kern_County_Fire_Station_Alert_Tones

Eng74

How is the data getting to the fire stations? I can't imagine each station has a microwave hop to a site. Do they use Telco leased lines either 3002 circuits or 56K DDS type? I imagine channel banks are involved to break out the T1's into channels.
The County has its own microwave system.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The County has its own microwave system.

But do they have a hop to each station or most stations. Just curious on the last mile if that's microwave and is the mux DS3/DS1 or Ethernet and is it broken down to 3002 or 56/64K DDS circuits.

Eng74

Most station have a microwave drum at their station. I know the one at 74 is mounted on the radio tower at the KCSO station next door and then a line was run into the station. I remember when they were putting it in they wanted to put the rack with all the electronics in the dorm and the crews put a stop to that because of all the noise of everything. Other stations have their drum on the hose tower. If things calm down I will swing by and grab some photos. Things are still a little shaky in town still right now and I am still picking up around the house still. The cat has finally come out of hiding. We still have some strike teams and OES equipment in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.