BCD996P2 takes forever to program

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
If I do, I can't locate it.

Also, what is the keypress to enable to the display to show more information? I had it at one time, since I got my SDS100/200's, I have been neglecting my old faithful 996P2's

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The baud rate on the 996P2 can only be set for the rear serial port. Older models that had a serial port in the front could have that baud rate changed separately; the 996P2 has a serial port up front now (albeit with an internal serial-to-USB converter).

Hate to sound like a broken record, but have you tried using ProScan to compare the times with ARC-XT Pro? If you've never installed ProScan on that laptop, you're eligible for the 30 day free trial, it costs you nothing, and at least you'll get some sense of whether you're dealing with a software or hardware issue.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
"Send all systems" because sometimes it see's what has changed, and sometimes it doesn't. And I -had- been "Deleting all systems first", but I am considering doing a factory reset next time I dump in a codeplug, and just loading it fresh.

And then, I send "send sys QK"

But the deleting is not factored into the time it takes to DL. Still roughly 40-45 mins.

Can I set it somehow to transfer the data faster from my SW into the scanner?

And I am very happy with Arc-xt pro. I can't re-do everything, or upload it, and then try to reset all the parameters I have saved. I really don't have the patients for that! ;-)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And I am very happy with Arc-xt pro. I can't re-do everything, or upload it, and then try to reset all the parameters I have saved. I really don't have the patients for that! ;-)
I understand that you are happy with ARC-XT Pro...well, except for the fact that it apparently takes nearly an hour to change the programming. :rolleyes: My suggestion was to try ProScan just to get a sense of how long it might take other software to download the exact same programming from your scanner. Then you have something to compare ARC-XT Pro to, instead of wondering "What's wrong?!?" without actually doing anything to diagnose the issue.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to speed up the programming time between my computer, and my BCD996P2's? I use a standard USB adapter from my computer, to the front port of the scanner to program it. I have about 160 "systems" (several with only one channel) and it takes around 45 mins. to download the entire thing to the scanners. Consistent with all of my BCD996P2's.

Is there a faster way to program these? (Rear serial? Faster cable?)

What version is your USB port on your PC?

You shouldn't be using any kind of USB adapter, just use a USB cable from a USB port on your PC to the USB port on the scanner.

Are 160 systems really necessary? How many talk-groups per system?

Are you running anything in the background, anti-virus/malware etc?

Have you cleaned up your drive, temp files, etc. Do you defrag your drive?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
"USB adapter" wasn't accurate, a USB wire from laptop, straight to my computer.

Yes, 160 "systems" are necessary, most counties are covered, with GPS, with some SYS on QK's.

Nothing in the background, and I do a bi-weekly defrag.

Didn't know if I could speed it up with a better cable, if I could up the port speed or something.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I presume the SDS series is a 1.0, since it is white. But it sure programs fast

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that the problem is necessarily the software. I had a number of XT scanners and never had one take that long at all to program. I don't know if my programming was as complex as the OPs, but even with 160 systems, it shouldn't take that long.

I understand that you are happy with ARC-XT Pro...well, except for the fact that it apparently takes nearly an hour to change the programming. :rolleyes: My suggestion was to try ProScan just to get a sense of how long it might take other software to download the exact same programming from your scanner. Then you have something to compare ARC-XT Pro to, instead of wondering "What's wrong?!?" without actually doing anything to diagnose the issue.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So then the rear serial bus would be faster than the front port?
The rear and front ports baud rate when set to 115.2 K are both the same speed.

I presume the SDS series is a 1.0, since it is white. But it sure programs fast
The SDS series programs faster because they use the Mass Storage Mode and therefore doesn't use the serial port.

{edit} Also the USB version or type will not make a difference in terms of speed. 115.2K transfer is not a problem. The earlier USB versions are
unidirectional but so is the scanner protocol so that's not a factor.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't think that the problem is necessarily the software. I had a number of XT scanners and never had one take that long at all to program. I don't know if my programming was as complex as the OPs, but even with 160 systems, it shouldn't take that long.
I don't believe that's the issue either, however there is certainly no harm in trying alternate software to perform a test download from the scanner. It costs nothing except maybe 5 minutes of the OP's time, and since he would only be downloading programming and not modifying anything, there would be no residual negative effect on the scanner afterwards. I guess I'm just too much of an old school IT guy who believes in the diagnosis process and ruling things out, especially when doing so is extremely easy. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
RRR,
Trying alternatives such as my ProScan can be a steep learning curve, mainly because of all the various features and options. It goes with the territory. It's not really difficult. It's a 5 minute process. The basic steps are:

1. Download and install
2. Run ProScan
3. Set the scanner type to BCD996P2. Menu -> Scanner Type
4. Set the port and baud rate. Menu ->Comm. Port
5. Open a New Database file. Menu -> Database -> New
6. Download from the scanner
7. Upload to the scanner

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
RRR,
The data transfer may of been slow because you were programming at 4800 baud. Change the rear port to 115.2 K baud then back to 4800 for the GPS as buddrousa advised or use the front port which is fixed at 115.2 K baud.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The only Baudrate I can locate is the GPS baudrate.

I have never attempted to program it from the back.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
I also have a large load for work on 996's.
ARC XT Pro takes forever, in my case about 40 minutes. (Not only on the 996, but also 396.) Just the way it is.
ProScan takes 7 minutes.
You've been advised in this forum several times to try it out. Do it. Nothing will change/nothing will be lost except your procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.