HP-1 Programing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9AJM

Feed Provider
Trying to help out a friend who has a Home Patrol 1 and needs different programming. My problem seems to be this: I get the software loaded, then connect radio via USB to computer ( Win 10 ). Radio screen changes to Mass USB Storage and I press screen. Nothing seems to happen on radio or the software side. Software will not read the radio. You can get some pop up boxes for like firmware or database updates, but the "OK" button is greyed out and nothing happens. The radio does work as is has a custom Fav installed and operating. Any thoughts on a path forward here? Sentinel Software V 2.03 Rev 2. Radio Firmware 2.06.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Trying to help out a friend who has a Home Patrol 1 and needs different programming. My problem seems to be this: I get the software loaded, then connect radio via USB to computer ( Win 10 ). Radio screen changes to Mass USB Storage and I press screen. Nothing seems to happen on radio or the software side. Software will not read the radio. You can get some pop up boxes for like firmware or database updates, but the "OK" button is greyed out and nothing happens. The radio does work as is has a custom Fav installed and operating. Any thoughts on a path forward here? Sentinel Software V 2.03 Rev 2. Radio Firmware 2.06.
Sounds like Windows is not recognizing the HP-1. Normally, when you connect the cable between the PC & The HP, then tell the scanner to use Mass Storage mode, you'll get that 'thunk' sound as Windows connects to a USB device, Do you hear anything remotely like that?

Try installing the serial driver, found on this page.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You are doing this with the latest version of Sentinel, correct? I never touch the scanner...power up both computer and HP1 and the scanner goes to mass storage and then Sentinel takes over. Did it just the other nite so the boot up procedure is somewhat fresh in my brain. Try a upadate of Sentinel first, maybe

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You are doing this with the latest version of Sentinel, correct? I never touch the scanner...power up both computer and HP1 and the scanner goes to mass storage and then Sentinel takes over. Did it just the other nite so the boot up procedure is somewhat fresh in my brain. Try a upadate of Sentinel first, maybe
Version 2.03 (02), which is what the OP stated, is the current version of Sentinel for the HP-1 & HP-2. Firmware 2.06 is also correct for the HP-1.

W9AJM

Feed Provider
You're right, no USB kerchunk. This machine doesn't have serial ports anymore. Do I need some sort of USB driver for this?

A

Sounds like Windows is not recognizing the HP-1. Normally, when you connect the cable between the PC & The HP, then tell the scanner to use Mass Storage mode, you'll get that 'thunk' sound as Windows connects to a USB device, Do you hear anything remotely like that?

Try installing the serial driver, found on this page.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You do NOT need the Serial Driver (it's only for use with the extreme update). It should run as an ordinary mass storage device.

This machine doesn't have serial ports anymore - no need for serial ports, in fact, HP1 has no way to use a serial port.

What shows in device manager ? Does it try to use ANY driver ? (I have seen a few times where they attempt to use an incorrect driver/device)

You could always remove the card - PITA - and use a card reader.

W9AJM

Feed Provider
Oh, OK. I do have a card reader from my Yaesu FTM radio for the micro/mini-card. I'll see where that takes me. Not a problem removing the card from the HP. I'll check the device mgr too. ( I'm a better RF guy than a computer guy, LOL ).

W9AJM

Feed Provider
The plot thickens ...Fwd 1, Bkwd 2. First, the radio is not showing up in device mgr. Took out SD card and put it in my reader. Was able to see card and its files. Next, went to fire up Sentinel, but it is now crashing. Won't start. Desktop icom stays but popup says its sending a problem report to Microsoft .. ya right. OK, uninstalled Sentinel, reboot and reinstall again. No problems detected during install. However, it still won't start. Won't start even if I go to its .exe file to activate. Any ideas on this situation? Windows 10 on a Leveno machine.

RBMTS

Make sure you are running the program as an administrator. Also maybe try temporarily disabling any firewall protection you might have running. It sounds as if the program is becoming blocked due to the system communication that is trying to take place.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The plot thickens ...Fwd 1, Bkwd 2. First, the radio is not showing up in device mgr. Took out SD card and put it in my reader. Was able to see card and its files. Next, went to fire up Sentinel, but it is now crashing. Won't start. Desktop icom stays but popup says its sending a problem report to Microsoft .. ya right. OK, uninstalled Sentinel, reboot and reinstall again. No problems detected during install. However, it still won't start. Won't start even if I go to its .exe file to activate. Any ideas on this situation? Windows 10 on a Leveno machine.

Follow the instructions in this post except substitute "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url" with "HomePatrol_Sentinel.exe_Url"

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/at-wits-end-sentinel-has-stopped-working.322484/page-5#post-2479493

W9AJM

Feed Provider
Yayyyy. That did it. Able to read the SIMM card and get around on it. Next up is programming. Scratches head. Have alot of experience with doing the 996XT stuff ( Freescan) and adding/making up the systems, conventional, etc. Lotta busy work, but I have control over what I am needing. Can someone point me to where some programming instruction for this thing is? I need 2 Motorola P25 systems with very limited TGs and a few conventional VHF channels. This is Wisconsin, Waukesha and Milwaukee Counties. Some pointers appreciated.

W9AJM

Feed Provider
Forgot all about the mark's scanner thing. Getting printer warmed up. :) Thanks alot. Andy

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
For the Home Patrol (either model, HP-1 or HP-2), you need to use the Sentinel version for those scanners. (There is a different version for the BCDx36HP and SDS series scanners.)
You can find that here.

W9AJM

Feed Provider
Yes, I know that. Just saying that FreeScan worked great for the XT radios that I have. Have the Sentinel program that I just got working. Using a card reader because my computer will not read the radio via USB. Want to program the SIMM card, reinstall and wallah, it should be working...that's my hope anyways. This is my first go-around with an HP1 so I'm on the learning curve on how to program it. Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.