Orange County CCCS P25 Update

hbscanner1

On topic of different cells(i.e. countywide, south, etc), would I assume then that the data contained in Sentinel site(for Uniden scanners), is correct? Not sure RE what TG's go with what cell, altho I am going by the old info for the now defunct older CCCS system. I believe then that Costa Mesa would be on South, and all other fire TG's on Countywide? RE hospitals, I know Huntington Beach is on Southwest cell, as is HB lifeguards and Seal Beach. Any additional fire/hospital/LG TG's assigned to whatever county cell would be appreciated, unless I can get to a website which has this info. Looking forward to monitoring our fire first responders comms again!!!

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
I would be very surprised if they bring back the EMS in the clear.

The OCFA also uses the south cell for the Santa Tac"s

Metro net Anahiem / Orange Fire also uses the North cell for some Tac Channels

I'm assuming the same on The new P25 System

Last edited:

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Every department has trunked alternate talkgroups in the event that their primary cell fails.
Check out the Wiki for Orange County (not the trunked system). The alternate TG cell assignments for fire are at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
I would be very surprised if they bring back the EMS in the clear.

The OCFA also uses the south cell for the Santa Tac"s

Metro net Anahiem / Orange Fire also uses the North cell for some Tac Channels

I'm assuming the same on The new P25 System

I am pretty much going to bet the farm that EMS Hospital Talkgroups are not coming back due to the "SO CALL HIPPA Stuff" which is a bunch of nothing. If they did bring back those talkgroups I sure would be shocked as to everyone else too.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Every department has trunked alternate talkgroups in the event that their primary cell fails.
Check out the Wiki for Orange County (not the trunked system). The alternate TG cell assignments for fire are at the bottom.

I updated the wikis so everything forwards to the new system. But yup, every cell assignment is the same.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
Something I'm still confused about. The original plan included the Motorola PoP25 software package which provides for OTAP and OTAR. It is certainly possible that this was not included with the upload for every user group. (Motorola could charge a license per unit?) So if the County bought the PoP25 software package, it is possible that OCFA and Metro Net did not elect to use it. (The fire channels have had very few changes over several years.) If PoP25 exists in the system, then it would make sense to install it on all the fire departments radios and then use that feature do a mass overnight upload to each and every radio. The time to install PoP25 on all the radio could take a few weeks, but uploading the radios could be done in a few minutes. This might explain the delay deinstalling the encryption. My guess is that the fire chiefs would like the encryption turned-off for the entire system at one time and not little by little.

If anyone knows the status of PoP25 for the fire department radios, I would be interested.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If The County was smart "POP25" would of already been enabled on all of the radios. The only thing is that the back end of the radio network was up to speed to have POP25 working as of now. I believe this was going to be a process to have completed within the next two years. I am pretty sure they were not expecting to have the encryption turned off so there was no worry for the back end to do OTAP And OTAR at this present moment. Now its scramble time because within the next 30 days if this does not happen then the pressure from the outside world is going to be knocking on the FD's door asking what's taking so long because all of the chiefs said 30-60 days max. So we shall see.

Eng74

I would think a radio tech could do two or three stations everyday. Sometimes it might be less when they are at the really busy stations I would think. Not really sure what all they are having to do but reprogram each radio.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If they are going to re-program the radios by hand and hit each station daily then its time to build the codeplug right and get er done right for the last time. Get those airwaves in the clear again.

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
If The County was smart "POP25" would of already been enabled on all of the radios. The only thing is that the back end of the radio network was up to speed to have POP25 working as of now. I believe this was going to be a process to have completed within the next two years. I am pretty sure they were not expecting to have the encryption turned off so there was no worry for the back end to do OTAP And OTAR at this present moment. Now its scramble time because within the next 30 days if this does not happen then the pressure from the outside world is going to be knocking on the FD's door asking what's taking so long because all of the chiefs said 30-60 days max. So we shall see.
IF they are not done in 30-60 days, maybe the Fire Chiefs will asking. Not sure who in the outside world has any pressure to give.

Eng74

If they are going to re-program the radios by hand and hit each station daily then its time to build the codeplug right and get er done right for the last time. Get those airwaves in the clear again.
It might be faster for them to touch each radio by hand. I know nothing about their system other than I got it programmed into my radios and waiting to hear OC again when I am down there. Figure each station on average has one base radio, 3-4 HT’s, and maybe 3 apparatus some stations might have more some might have less also any units that are in the shop. I know it took our radio techs awhile to get all the radios done when the did the narrow banding for VHF and we had been on the system for a little over a year. I know it not the same thing but they had to reprogram all the radios then do the work on certain channels at the repeaters.

rsgorman

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this is a silly question, I had all the site programmed into my sd200 on the old system. Is this still true on the P25 system?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
If I understand your question, yes, the sites have the same locations and frequencies, but they system type needs to be changed in your scanner.

I know the Countywide cell added a frequency, though.
Also, the Loma Ridge and Laguna Canyon ASR sites are new.
It's all in the database.....

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Some non-encrypted TG's found in the last week. Info submitted to the DB.

Countywide Cell:
2302 - WEROC (Water Emergency Response Organization of Orange County)
2518 - HCA (Health Emergency Management)
3800 - In-building Radio Coverage Testing
North Cell:
3802 - In-building Radio Coverage Testing

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Newport FD is still on the Countywide cell, but is still encrypted. Lifeguards and Public Works are on the south cell, as KRTH fan stated.
With the exception of 1 or 2 talkgroups, nothing has changed as far as cell assignments go.