Music playing on the police frequencies?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

How in the world does this happen? I heard music playing on the Middlesex, Williston, Berlin, and Northfield State Police frequencies early today and again just a few minutes ago??
And the same music came across the Barre City Police dispatch frequency and the BarreTown PD Dispatch frequency along with Williston State Police frequency...
It didn't happen all at the same time either, it was like someone was switching from one frequency to another one right after the other!
And not once did I hear any dispatch break in and say "check for open mic".

What or who would cause this? A prankster?!?

a417

idiots, usually. From mom's basement.

If you didn't hear dispatch call out, then they could have been transmitting on the repeater output frequencies - coincident of the trunking system, and not going thru the repeater at all, which would make them inaudible to the rest of the system uses (situation dependent, of course) and the dispatcher.

ecps92

CCR Hackster [Cheap Chinese Radio] or someone got ahold of Daddies/Mommies Radio or the radio got lost/stolen
So many possibilities... so many .....

If Dispatch said nothing, they likely know who, as most analog radios sent an MDC Radio ID as do the P25 Radios

How in the world does this happen? I heard music playing on the Middlesex, Williston, Berlin, and Northfield State Police frequencies early today and again just a few minutes ago??
And the same music came across the Barre City Police dispatch frequency and the BarreTown PD Dispatch frequency along with Williston State Police frequency...
It didn't happen all at the same time either, it was like someone was switching from one frequency to another one right after the other!
And not once did I hear any dispatch break in and say "check for open mic".

What or who would cause this? A prankster?!?

SVFC462

Feed Provider
I actually finally got fed up and sent in a FCC complaint here in Connecticut regarding something very similar that has been occurring for approximately a year.

Seems to be a church wireless microphone system but not entirely sure .. only occurs on Sundays between 11:15am and 1:30om ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecps92

Not to hijack the thread, but what Freq in CT ??

I actually finally got fed up and sent in a FCC complaint here in Connecticut regarding something very similar that has been occurring for approximately a year.

Seems to be a church wireless microphone system but not entirely sure .. only occurs on Sundays between 11:15am and 1:30om ...

Blackink

If these pranksters get caught, what's the possible penalties? Loss of equipment and/or a fine?
As for the person, SVFC462, filing a complaint due to it happening for about a year, this problem just started. Yesterday was the first time I heard it.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Not good messing with the cops... This guy did more than play music. He sent false reports etc, but still.. It can get pretty expensive.

a417

I remember Rocky Hill PD getting a frequency of theirs completely NUKED by what turned out to be a remote control crane device being used to build the CT science center several years ago.

It entirely depends, if the guy gets caught red-handed doing it with equipment keyed... by a police officer, it's probably going to be much more severe than the "FCC Proposes levying Huge Fines...." or a very threatening NAL which merely "proposes" fines after "exhaustive field work", but then again we're not talking about some complete jackoff on 14.313...we're talking about active disruption of a police agencies infrastructure.

. Getting bracelets and being charged with whatever they decide to charge him with is going to hit home much faster, very much harder.

Last edited:

Station51

Same happened here, but worse. A woman talking in a gravel voice threatening to "kill the police" on PS freq and jamming county fire freqs.
FCC not very proactive in these cases, however radio personnel from City of Riverside tracked signal and arrested her.
story here: (She was a HAM I'm ashamed to say.)
Woman Arrested For Jamming Emergency Radio During Busy Saturday Night

Oh and more recently she was arrested for shining a green laser at a Sheriff's helicopter.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
That's happened a lot when listening to Chicago Police, as they still use analog 460 MHz freqs. Sometimes its music, other times it's p*rn sounds, or a Hitler speech...

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
And we all know where the resolution leads to on the administration and pd end of how to solve it. I would. Yeah you can cause interference but most wouldn't since they know the user can't hear them.

Joe_Blough

APX7500X2

Same thing happen on Stratford PD for 3 or 4 years until they went digital and Encrypted to get rid of it, Now it has switched over to FAPERN so he does it on the FAPERN UHF and it comes out on FAPERN UHF, VHF and the FAPERN TG on the state trunk system.
He has done it on Fairfield PD once also
Its very common in NYC on the PD channels

a417

And this unfortunately is one of several contributing reasons why agencies switch to the "big E"
At least for actually hearing the interference, some d-bag puts out enough watts on the frequency to desense the repeater and E won't matter...no one is getting thru.

bill4long

...in a 'Notice of APPARENT liability'. I always got a chuckle out of that wording.

It's there for very good reasons. The plaintiff can pay, or try to negotiate a lesser fine, or challenge the notice and take the matter to federal court. It's only an "apparent" liability because it's just the FCC's word at that point- a "preliminary finding." Sometimes they are wrong. Sometimes they lose in federal court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.