436HP P25 Reception Basic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Are there any adjustments I can make to improve the P25 reception on my 436HP for the following situation?

When my local police transmits, it seems like the beginning of the transmission is sometimes clipped off. This is for a P25 non-trunking digital channel. Even if I hold it on a channel, it sometimes seems to miss the beginning. All of my settings are default. Any ideas?

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
Look at these things. Your Squelch level. Your hold time for that system. And your priority. All these can effect your channel

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Go in to your System using Sentinel. Look at the tight pane. At the bottom you will see Digital Threshold Mode and Digital Threshold Level. Trying changing to Manual and try various level settings to see if there is an improvement. If nothing helps, return to the original values (Auto, 8).

Unfortunately there are too many variables so this ends up being a trial and error situation to come up with the combination that sounds the best.

Ubbe

Ask the question in your local state forum specifying the system and site to see if anyone else has the same problem. It could be a system problem that cannot be solved by a setting in your scanner. Or you will get good advice on how to solve it, but now you have not specified the location and system and site that you are monitoring, which is very much needed to be able to help you.

/Ubbe

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
As stated, there are quite a few variables that may cause this. One thing to keep in mind is there may not be anything you can do because it may be on the system side.

One thing I would try is to hold on the most active talkgroup or frequency that has this problem and see if you still have the issue. One thing that can cause this is having to long of a scan time due to having a lot of frequencies you are scanning. If that fixes it, then you can limit your scan selection and that will help.

matters

Feed Provider
You can also check if you have Battery Save on. I was missing the start of some transmissions and noticed it was turned on by default.

"Set Battery Save: Turns off RF power for 1 second and turns it on 300 ms to extend the battery life in Channel Hold Mode for a Conventional System (without Priority Scan), and in any Search Hold mode when there is no transmission over 1 minute." - Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I think people missed that this isn't trunked.

I would suspect the digital wait time may be the culprit.

ab5r

I would suggest that this a problem with the scanning. With the radio scanning, it would be like picking up the phone with an ongoing conversation. You only hear from THAT point on. You might try locking your scanner on that one channel and leaving it there awhile, and see if you still experience the cut offs. If you do, the previous suggestions may apply.
Regards

Ubbe

This is for a P25 non-trunking digital channel.
Even if I hold it on a channel, it sometimes seems to miss the beginning.
I had the same problem and I found that my " hold time" was at -2. Changed it to +3 for better results.
I would suspect the digital wait time may be the culprit.
There's no negative values for hold, only for the delay of TG's on digital systems or on analog frequencies and doesn't apply when manually holding on to a frequency.
Wait time should only apply to analog frequencies, if there's no bug involved.
It could be battery save like matters suggests if it is enabled and there's no carrier on the frequency for one minute.

/Ubbe

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try adjusting the digital wait time first.

Status
Not open for further replies.