Let's go low

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQ2H

Long Wave Hunter
Premium Subscriber
.1374-.1376 would probably be 4-FSK (WSPR2) - hard to know what's outside of that. Could be arcing power lines or solar panels, but who knows. There may be a little JT9 slow modes activity just below that, but conditions haven't been all that good and most LF ops in New England are in Rx mode.

This is what a decent 2200m JT9-1 signal looks like here through a Motion Sensors TVTR2.

First_2200m_QSO.jpg

Right now - we're waiting for the leaves to fall and the air to dry out here. Happy hunting ! :)

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I understand that slow and low power modes like FT4, FT8 and WSPR are all popular down here...a loop is going to be a help here; even indoors, it's going to be less responsive to noise than an active whip....Mike

WQ2H

Long Wave Hunter
Premium Subscriber
It's a tough time of year to be digging out 137. :) FT4/FT8 is great for HF but tough on LF because the Tx time is simply too short. I think you need at least a minute or better yet two or five. I've only made 2200m QSOs with JT9 so far. I'm guessing N1BUG (Milo, ME) will do more experimenting with JT9 slow (JT9-5 and JT9-10) come fall. That's always a good resource for Rx testing.

Just an FYI on my experiences: I actually have a few antennas that I've used for LF One is a 160m full wave horizontal loop, and the other a short Marconi vertical with a hat. Both do well for Tx through a variometer, but are plagued with wandering noise on Rx from power company transmission apparatus.

I started using the CCW active vertical dipole, with the LF/HF pre_selector, and the perceived noise has been greatly reduced. It also does great with NDBs which I find intriguing. I also choke down the Rx bandwidth to 400Hz or less. I highly recommend this website for regularly updated information. Anyway, good luck - and we'll have our beacon on .137475 back up come fall.

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

Status
Not open for further replies.