Iowa Statewide Interoperability Communication System (ISICS)

qcomnet

I came across some interesting ISICS info today.
Looking at the statewide ISICS license WPTZ782 I found a few attachments to the license that might help locate some of the unknown sites.
These were received by the FCC on 04/17/2019 so they are fairly recent.

This is the link to a map of Iowa that has the ISICS towers. This map can be zoomed in to better locate sites.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20586502&attachmentInd=applAttach

The next link is to a list of sites that are part of ISICS and gives precise location details of each antenna/tower.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=20586484&attachmentInd=applAttach

Interesting. Nothing shown for Dallas County. And Polk County largely uncovered with the exception of Mitchellville. Simulcast sites?

mspazz

That is because Dallas paid for their own sites, so they are not owned by the State of Iowa.

Edit: My comment now makes no sense, as Union Counties are not even up yet, not owned by the State of Iowa and they show up...hmm.

wn0r

Hamilton county lists 2 sites and Humboldt shows 1 site (Plus the state tower at Bradgate)
Both counties are not on the air yet. I assume the counties are planning a move to ISICS in the future.
I swing my beam around every few days looking for any new CC's but nothing as of yet.

newsman04

TG 11505. Heard on Cville tower. Might be DNR water patrol judging by brief traffic heard but am not certain.

MCWKen

I for one hope that ISICS is finished testing on the Mason City tower. For two days, talk group 4049, using radio ID's 12186 and 60078 have dominated the tower. Even black listing the TG, still binds up the system.

And I will be honest, if the goal was to improve radio quality, there was no change in that respect.

MCWKen

I for one hope that ISICS is finished testing on the Mason City tower. For two days, talk group 4049, using radio ID's 12186 and 60078 have dominated the tower. Even black listing the TG, still binds up the system.

And I will be honest, if the goal was to improve radio quality, there was no change in that respect.

Again today, that same TG; 4049 was testing endlessly on the local tower. Just before that, TG 4002 tested for about 25 minutes encrypted. Then TG's 31301 and 31302 started testing with three radio ID's Then 4049 started up til 1600 hours.

Screen8-13-19.jpg

Last edited:

Dockjockey53

I have been hearing tests on the Sidney tower and I presume that Fremont county is preparing to join ISICS. I am getting Page county off of the same tower. Right now I'm hearing silly sentences all day long which is just like what techs were doing when Page county was gearing up it's system. They are doing the tests on TG 4042.

qcomnet

silly sentences all day long (y)

Problematic for me is that the test audio sequences that are being sourced for testing is void of any tonal qualities that even the real users are providing as a part of normal daily operations. YES, they could stand to equalize the canned audio a bit!
Besides the obvious assignment/release of the trunking resources, dynamic regrouping or other trunking functions in the course of testing, clearly trying to refine the audio quality is NOT the purpose of these tests.

Maybe we are the targets in a successful campaign to annoy us!:LOL:

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
I have been hearing tests on the Sidney tower and I presume that Fremont county is preparing to join ISICS. I am getting Page county off of the same tower. Right now I'm hearing silly sentences all day long which is just like what techs were doing when Page county was gearing up it's system. They are doing the tests on TG 4042.
Hearing the same on TG 4048 today. Muscatine/Scott Simulcast Site,

MCWKen

Can someone please be a bit more explicit on exactly what kind of testing they are doing with the towers other than qualifying audio?

It has been a week now, and once they start up on the tower, they tie it up for almost the entire day. Even though their talk group; 4049 is blacklisted, the system stills shows the transmissions every 10 seconds. This is on site 065 - Mason City.

tepping1

I would love an explanation from an expert who understands this TG/control channel related to towers. I'm in Dav, I pick up Area D, Cedar Rapids #11, Stockton #12 and Mt. Pleasant #13 clear as a bell, everyday, all day. Over that last several days and very consistently I've been hearing Storm Lake in Area B, #6 as clear Disp to unit and back like I do with the local Area D troopers. I get that P25 has the ability via control channel and TG to patch into anyone, anywhere in the system if need be....but this is normal Dist 6 operations

newsman04

I would love an explanation from an expert who understands this TG/control channel related to towers. I'm in Dav, I pick up Area D, Cedar Rapids #11, Stockton #12 and Mt. Pleasant #13 clear as a bell, everyday, all day. Over that last several days and very consistently I've been hearing Storm Lake in Area B, #6 as clear Disp to unit and back like I do with the local Area D troopers. I get that P25 has the ability via control channel and TG to patch into anyone, anywhere in the system if need be....but this is normal Dist 6 operations
At this months ISICS meeting Lampe said they were working on issues related to users occasionally driving across the state with their radios on a certain talkgroup as they travel, which leads the TG to activate on towers it should not be, which presents concerns with tying up the towers. How frequently that happens I don’t know. Could also be totally unrelated to what you are experiencing. If it was a patching deal though you would not have the other TGs on your tower, if they are patched you would still just hear the normal area TG.

Convo starts around 34:00 minutes.

I can pretty much hear 5A and 4D all day every day with some exceptions. But some times 2A will show up, even had a ”C” TG appear once.

Last edited:

tepping1

At this months ISICS meeting Lampe said they were working on issues related to users occasionally driving across the state with their radios on a certain talkgroup as they travel, which leads the TG to activate on towers it should not be, which presents concerns with tying up the towers. How frequently that happens I don’t know. Could also be totally unrelated to what you are experiencing. If it was a patching deal though you would not have the other TGs on your tower, if they are patched you would still just hear the normal area TG.

Convo starts around 34:00 minutes.

I can pretty much hear 5A and 4D all day every day with some exceptions. But some times 2A will show up, even had a ”C” TG appear once.
hmmm...wonder why that happens?.....I get the testing part with an individual trooper driving across the state....but still not sure how or why I can get Dist 4 on the other side of the state, 300 miles from me with everyday normal operations for almost 3 straight days

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Someone who normally works in District 4 is in the area. They like hearing the home district. ISICS should do like RACOM did. Two hours after the last time you access the site, the system drops the affiliation on that site.
Can I ask where you are in the Quad-Cities? I am near East Kimberly & Eastern and can't hear the Scott & Muscatine site. Until I get in the car and get from the apartment about a block. No outside antenna here so I out of luck.

tepping1

Someone who normally works in District 4 is in the area. They like hearing the home district. ISICS should do like RACOM did. Two hours after the last time you access the site, the system drops the affiliation on that site.
Can I ask where you are in the Quad-Cities? I am near East Kimberly & Eastern and can't hear the Scott & Muscatine site. Until I get in the car and get from the apartment about a block. No outside antenna here so I out of luck.
sure...I'm right by Vander Veer....we had an exchange about a year ago when I was struggling with my 536....I since also got a 200...what I learned...and Ubbe turned us on to it was that we turned OFF all the other RACOM sites but the one closest to me at 13th st and my signals have been flawless ever since....I have a Discone at about 30'.....I grew up on Garfield st as a kid.....was in Florida for 40 yrs before moving back here 5 yrs ago

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I lived in the 400 block of W Garfield for 31 years. Have a feeling if I was still there I would be able to hear ISICS. but I didn't have a choice in the move. I updated my TRX-1 to listen in and try it on ISICS. Turns out I had hits overnight and got recordings but no audio. BTW listen to 146.88 sunday at 8pm for Davenport ARC net. K0QCS here

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
In the list of DPS talkgroups, there are two kinds of tac channels that I haven't run across before. I can assume what the abbreviation means, but some confirmation (or contradiction) would be appreciated. They are GTAC and ETAC. If I had guess, GTAC would be a General Tactical talkgroup (or maybe "government?" For talking with feds?) and ETAC, which I assume is "Emergency Tactical." Anyone know for sure?

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
Getting some strange noise on TG 5153 today. Sounds like a combination of mike-handling noise and static or something. Never any voice. Wonder if it could be encrypted voice? But wouldn't that just be silence? It's in the 5100 series, so I assume it has something to do with DPS Area B, since all those TGs are in the 5100 series . . . Anyone know for sure?