Ambulance to Hospital Comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I live in Durango (as of 3 months ago). I've done a good bit of searching the trunked (DTRS) and typical non-trunked freqs but cannot find any that carry Ambulance to Hospital comms, such as reporting patient conditions inbound to the hospital. Is that a thing in SW Colorado?

ecps92

HIPAA not HIPPA
187-What does the HIPAA Privacy Rule do
and it does not prohibit or prevent radio traffic

That said, Yes some Hospitals/Regions have gone to Cellular [dedicated # which is also recorded]

For the OP, not knowing much of your area, have you tried the UHF Med Channels, instead of the DTRS ?
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Emergency_Medical_Services_Radio#UHF
Due to HIPPA regulations you will most likely never hear patient reports. Most are done by cellphone I think.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Due to HIPPA regulations you will most likely never hear patient reports. Most are done by cellphone I think.

Many areas of upstate New York do ambulance to hospital patient reports in the clear on any one of several VHF frequencies. HIPAA does’t prevent it. There are many different but legit ways to do patient reports across the US and Canada. What is done where you are is not necessarily the norm anywhere else.

EMS agencies and hospitals are almost all acutely aware of HIPAA these days. None of of us would intentionally deviate from those rules.

DJ11DLN

Many areas of upstate New York do ambulance to hospital patient reports in the clear on any one of several VHF frequencies. HIPAA does’t prevent it. There are many different but legit ways to do patient reports across the US and Canada. What is done where you are is not necessarily the norm anywhere else.

EMS agencies and hospitals are almost all acutely aware of HIPAA these days. None of of us would intentionally deviate from those rules.
There's a lot to try and memorize about HIPAA but the big one is do not ever, under any circumstances, put the patient's name over an open channel. And there's usually no reason to do so.

Hospital comms are mixed here...some are in the clear, either VHF or on the TSYS, and some of the latter have privacy enabled. And some do use the shoe phone.

ecps92

If it is in the BEST interest/Patient Care and the receiving facility needs the name OTA, there is no prohibition

That said generally there is no need on routine calls, however there have been times for the patients care that there is the need to pass that information along via the radio.

There's a lot to try and memorize about HIPAA but the big one is do not ever, under any circumstances, put the patient's name over an open channel. And there's usually no reason to do so.

Hospital comms are mixed here...some are in the clear, either VHF or on the TSYS, and some of the latter have privacy enabled. And some do use the shoe phone.

DJ11DLN

If it is in the BEST interest/Patient Care and the receiving facility needs the name OTA, there is no prohibition

That said generally there is no need on routine calls, however there have been times for the patients care that there is the need to pass that information along via the radio.
Understood. If it's absolutely necessary tend they use the phone here, possibly just erring on the side of caution (a la de facto rather than de jure) but I don't see that as a bad thing at all. Nobody needs their personal information going out on a clear channel.

David628

Premium Subscriber
I live in Durango (as of 3 months ago). I've done a good bit of searching the trunked (DTRS) and typical non-trunked freqs but cannot find any that carry Ambulance to Hospital comms, such as reporting patient conditions inbound to the hospital. Is that a thing in SW Colorado?

Try the actual hospital comm freq on the DTRS for Mercy hospital. This is the only one i found: 8146 DMERCY MEDMercy Medical Center Hospital.

side note, here in the springs they do ambulance to hospital comms all day long. They never use the name or SSN. It goes something like "Were in route to your facility with a 40 "four"-"zero" age male who is complaining of neck pain after a fall off a 10 foot ladder. Pulse is XXXX over XXXX, stong and regular, blood sugar is XXXX, patient is responsive to commands, we have him on nasal canna and he is talking to us. Any questions or commands?"

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Try the actual hospital comm freq on the DTRS for Mercy hospital. This is the only one i found: 8146 DMERCY MEDMercy Medical Center Hospital.

side note, here in the springs they do ambulance to hospital comms all day long. They never use the name or SSN. It goes something like "Were in route to your facility with a 40 "four"-"zero" age male who is complaining of neck pain after a fall off a 10 foot ladder. Pulse is XXXX over XXXX, stong and regular, blood sugar is XXXX, patient is responsive to commands, we have him on nasal canna and he is talking to us. Any questions or commands?"
TG8146 is Mercy Hospital Security. UHF MED channels are void of activity other than NM, AZ comms. I would have expected a somewhat rural area of SW CO to use radio rather than cell phone for amb-to-hosp comms. I'll probably cross paths with a FD medic sooner or later and ask about it.

David628

Premium Subscriber
TG8146 is Mercy Hospital Security. UHF MED channels are void of activity other than NM, AZ comms. I would have expected a somewhat rural area of SW CO to use radio rather than cell phone for amb-to-hosp comms. I'll probably cross paths with a FD medic sooner or later and ask about it.

Bummer; I wasn't sure what that channel (8146) was used for, just wanted to throw it out there.

I searched the FCC database and found an active business license for Mercy Hospital you might also try, you never know.. Licensed VHF frequencies: 152.285 & 157.545 : ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WPPV996 - MERCY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 2.41.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 2.39.25 PM.png

David628

Premium Subscriber
Via a random google search i just did, here are a few more VHF frequencies I stumbled on from this site Colorado: La Plata - Radio Scanner Frequencies . Not sure how valid any of them are, but these 3 VHF frequencies as well (call sign's are in brackets) are listed for Mercy Hospital. 155.265 (WPBZ330), 155.385 (KKR638), 163.250 (KKR638),

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Via a random google search i just did, here are a few more VHF frequencies I stumbled on from this site Colorado: La Plata - Radio Scanner Frequencies . Not sure how valid any of them are, but these 3 VHF frequencies as well (call sign's are in brackets) are listed for Mercy Hospital. 155.265 (WPBZ330), 155.385 (KKR638), 163.250 (KKR638),
Thanks. I had those programmed in the scanner. Only traffic is intermittent DMR sounding (it's not DMR though) on 152.285.

The quest continues.

Moe3754

I hear AMR talking to Penrose and UC Health all the time on the AMR frequency’s. Giving vitals and other things to the hospital.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
You might try the MED channels, VHF in the 460.000 to 469.000 range.
The Front range uses these for most any ER-to-mobile communication; there's usually an 'operator' that facilitates a 'patch' for the mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.