SDR# + FMS - Tradational Scanner - High CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedBox80

Feed Provider
I'm attempting to setup a more "traditional" scanner with an SDR using SDR# + FMS and it seems to be working OK so far but my concern is that SDR# constantly takes up 40% CPU. I'm guessing this has something to do with the graphical effects? If this is indeed the case, is there a way to disable them? Another question might be, is this the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

All I'm going to have is 3 or 4 frequencies to monitor and they are sent to a virtual audio cable and onto an icecast server for listening. Is there a "lower cost" (thinking less CPU usage) way of doing this?

DRL-XM43

You can adjust the FFT Display to use less resource.

I use the aux VFO plugin to sit on individual frequencies. You can have a bunch of these if you want. 3 or 4 would be ok.

BigRedBox80

Feed Provider
Turns out I was wrong, it was FFS that is causing the high CPU with only 2 frequencies in the list. Is there a way to decrease that usage that anyone's run into?

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
There are certainly command line versions of apps that will work great for just this purpose. Only problem is I haven't seen a really good tutorial on to use them to stream to Broadcastify so I am hoping other people will chime in with such information! I am interested as well!

DRL-XM43

Simply just FM

Then if you like to stay with SDR# I would suggest install the Auxiliary VFO plugin it provides a static way to monitor several frequencies simultaneously without invoking a scan, which I think consumes resource.

The download Новый плагин. in Russian but hit English translation, I run 6 aux VFO and it works well for some applications. Also adjust FFT settings to reduce resources.

Last edited:

BigRedBox80

Feed Provider
Then if you like to stay with SDR# I would suggest install the Auxiliary VFO plugin it provides a static way to monitor several frequencies simultaneously without invoking a scan, which I think consumes resource.

The download Новый плагин. in Russian but hit English translation, I run 6 aux VFO and it works well for some applications. Also adjust FFT settings to reduce resources.

I'm not stuck with SDR#, it's just what I caught on to with my initial search for something to scan a few frequencies.

DRL-XM43

I'm not stuck with SDR#, it's just what I caught on to with my initial search for something to scan a few frequencies.

If you have DSD+ fastlane you can set up a scanlist for FMP24 and scan clear NFM without using DSD+ since there is no decoding required, also works for clear AM. This uses little resource and you can control audio output path.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to infringe on the original poster's post but the problem that I found is a good tutorial on using some of the command line applications and sending the data to Broadcastify. Most of them use SOAP or a similar audio API/application but I haven't found a way to get this as an audio input to something like RadioFeed. These command line apps would would be perfect for a lower power Windows system.

@BigRedBox80 , please forgive me for chiming in. Hopefully someone can point us both to a couple good tutorials. There are definitely ways to do exactly what you and I want to do, I think we are just missing a few pieces of the puzzle!

S

simpilo

Just as a suggestion until you find a command line tutorial. I used to set SDR# FFT to 1024 or 512. that helped but not by much. SDR# was meant for those who love a sharp waterfall to see weaker signals takes high resolution high cpu and graphic loads.

Since I switched to Linux, I am unable to help further. Mono (linux equivalent to .NET Framework) is just horribly laggy running SDR#.

DRL-XM43

I do use command line programs but for playing around with mostly. They are tough to keep configured there are no visual ques to help so much trial and error - squelch and gain can be a pain and if signal varies you can go nuts. I never thought of them as serious production tools but I do enjoy playing with them and they do have their place. (so no flaming ok) lol

I have always found a better way to meet my particular requirements - on Win and Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.