State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

licpl8man

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been experiencing reception (well lack thereof) problems listening to the State Police ever since they switched over to the CLMRN. On the old system I could pick them up at work in Danbury with no issues. After the change-over I have all but lost them completely in Danbury. I’m using a BCD436HP and have tried several different antennas with no luck. Firmware is up-to-date. I get them just fine at home and almost everywhere else but there’s absolutely nothing in Danbury. Obviously they have signal as when I’m at home I hear Troop A talking about issues on 84 in Danbury. Am I missing something? Maybe there’s a tower that wasn’t programmed to the new system? Any suggestions are appreciated!

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
My BCD436 is useless now that they are over on CLMRN, I believe its due to simulcast issues because my SDS100 has no issues

mkt853

It's either a simulcast issue or you simply can't receive the tower from your location. The new system is using lower power and directional antennas on some (all?) towers meaning things you think you should be in range to receive no longer is the case. I had this issue with a tower that had both old and new systems - old control channel came in loud and clear, new one not so much, and it's not a simulcast issue since the towns to my west and north are in a completely different state where there are no other towers. Also, our scanners aren't $5000 commercial radios tuned and configured specifically for this system like the ones the police use, so theirs will undoubtedly perform better. I liked the old 800 MHz system better as it was much easier to monitor.

WoodburyMan

I noticed my Home Patrol II is pretty much useless on CLMRN as well. SDS100/SDS200 are AMAZING. I avoid all TG's but CSP, avoid all sites but the local site, and only have the control channel in the site frequencies and it follows/tracks great. Doesn't skip a beat.

HPII (And other older scanners that do not do trunk tracking), I did the same as my SDS100/200 setup, but leave all site frequencies for the local site in.

Side by side with a Y splitter with my SDS200, the HPII missed like 3/4 of the transmissions, mostly short ones, and by luck will grab one once in a while. This is on Site L also which doesn't normally have any Phase II traffic TG's. I'm assuming the BCDx36's are the same as they're the same generation. I see it gets stuck on frequencies sometimes, processing data, ex when a TG I have avoided gets a hit on one of the sites channels, it takes a second to chug to find the TG, then decide to skip it and move on, this delaying the chance of picking up a TX from the TG you want, "Loop Time" as I call it, how long it takes to cycle through all frequencies in it's list. I think the old SmartZone system was easier on the CPU of the older units, and easier for it to figure out.

I’ve been experiencing reception (well lack thereof) problems listening to the State Police ever since they switched over to the CLMRN
I think you're not alone.

I am located near HQ - dead center in the state. I use a 996XT, 396XT and a 325P2

I receive all troops - over time - but not all the time.

It depends if and when various mobile units affiliate with sites I can hear. I receive sites 27, 28, 30 and 31 reliably.

It's less than I used to hear all the time.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have a remote scanner with <2 miles line of site to the Talcott tower. I get Troop B, L, and H simulcast sites from there. Often I am at full strength on all 3 sites. The one that has a 700MHz CC, the Troop H Simulcast, often drops to 2 bars on the 996P2. Come to find out, there is a small cell site nearby my remote location. I suspect when the site is in use, the 700MHz signal is badly affected. My reception at home is negatively affected when I am using my cellphone. It often is not the band but the power output from the cell sites that affect the reception.

chris

noobiest

Just came on to see what is up. I am hearing nothing of them when it has been flawless for years

noobiest

I am checking data and see no dropdown for RR download even thou I show to be a Premium which I shouldnt be. I wanna not pay thru PP but have no choice

noobiest

Well I bought in and hope my Win500 software still works here. It wont connect to Rr. Does it take awhile to upgrade the subscription?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Use the P25 CLMRN system for the CSP, not the old Motorola Type II

The address for RR has changed as they now use HTTPS instead of HTTP

chris

leadjammer

I think you're not alone.

I am located near HQ - dead center in the state. I use a 996XT, 396XT and a 325P2

I receive all troops - over time - but not all the time.

It depends if and when various mobile units affiliate with sites I can hear. I receive sites 27, 28, 30 and 31 reliably.

It's less than I used to hear all the time.
I also hear less with my 396 XT, HP 1 and 436 HP. Troop H has disappeared in Hamden but I still pick up stuff from Troops A. I, G,F, K and E.
I liked the old system better but don't feel spending 700 bucks plus for a new scanner is worth the risk of not knowing what it will actually pick up and how much improvement there will actually be. Will I pick up Troop H with a SD100. I doubt it.

Will I pick up Troop H with a SD100. I doubt it.
Yeah, it's real unpredictable and depends more upon the movement of units around the territory.

I'm happy with the amount of activity I have to monitor and will stick with the equipment I have for now.

SVFC462

Feed Provider
I also hear less with my 396 XT, HP 1 and 436 HP. Troop H has disappeared in Hamden but I still pick up stuff from Troops A. I, G,F, K and E.
I liked the old system better but don't feel spending 700 bucks plus for a new scanner is worth the risk of not knowing what it will actually pick up and how much improvement there will actually be. Will I pick up Troop H with a SD100. I doubt it.

i pick up most of the traffic on the system with my 996p2 scanners. Keep an eye on ebay as i have picked up 3 or 4 recently for $300-$325.

rlvardo

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a used BCD536HP, did a factory reset, put in my zip code (06248) and I have yet to hear Troop H and K. I had no problems before they went phase II with my 996T and the stock antenna.

licpl8man

Premium Subscriber
So been playing with the scanner a little bit, and I have found the following that has made some improvement. Although I still can’t get CSP at my desk I was able to pick them up within a mile of work today. First thing I’ve noticed is only listen to 1 Talkgroup at a time, rather than letting the scanner switch back and forth between Troop A Dispatch and Troop A Car-Car. Leaving it locked on Dispatch for 1 troop I have heard way more chatter than I have in a long time. Also of note is although my 436 is less than a year old and doesn’t have the noise issues the older ones do, it did benefit from some shielding in the battery compartment, at least as far as range is concerned. I have never had any simulcast distortion on this thing and at home I can get all Troops, DEEP, and MTA Police nice and clear

coolrich55

In my case it all depends on what ya got for a scanner. Side by side my PSR 500, nothing. My PRO 668, perfect. Same antenna, same location.

rlvardo

Premium Subscriber
I'm catching some calls for Troop K and H now, however I don't think I'm getting everything I should be. I think I'm getting the CLMRN system, I just entered the zip and I'm listening to everything and locking out what I don't want to hear. Anyone in the Hebron CT area monitoring with the BCD536HP? Seems like a lot of people here aren't picking up signals like we used to with this system. I guess it's time to get my butt in gear and get an outside antenna up...

leadjammer

Outside antenna isn't always the answer. I have one but can't pick up Troop H and picked it up loud and clear with the old system.

Status
Not open for further replies.