SDS200 GPS/Auto Locate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golson2210

Is there anyway to verify the GPS is working on the SDS200? I'm attempting to use the auto locate function with the GPS plugged in however nothing happens and the status bar just sits there.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Auto Locate uses the database in the scanner to find where you are not the GPS.
Does GPS flash on the SDS screen when plugged up to the GPS unit if so the GPS is working as should.
Are you using the entire Database when the GPS is plugged in?
Are you using the Favorite List when the GPS is plugged in?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the zip code method. It's the easiest and least confusing.

The Auto Locate feature is a whole different animal. It is something you would use if you do not have a GPS device. What that feature does is to get the location of the system you are monitoring, as it figures if you are hearing it, you must be close to that location.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I agree with the zip code method. It's the easiest and least confusing.

The Auto Locate feature is a whole different animal. It is something you would use if you do not have a GPS device. What that feature does is to get the location of the system you are monitoring, as it figures if you are hearing it, you must be close to that location.
Also agree with trying 'zip code confirmation' if trying to verify the GPS is acting properly.

As noted, auto locate tries to determine which trunked systems you're in range of, then guessing a location that can receive them. While that may somewhat useful in a metro area with a number of systems, it may be virtually useless in an outlying or rural area where there may be no active systems, other than a regional or statewide utility company system.

Coolant113

If you are using the GPS feature with favorite lists, you also need to make sure you turn each favorite lists location option on in Sentinel. It is set to off by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.