Auto-starting Feed with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
As we all know, Windows 10 tends to update itself whenever it feels like it. Since I don't sit and watch my feed computer 24/7, I don't always know when this will occur until it actually happens. When it does, it knocks my feed off-line.

I searched, but I have not seen any past messages about setting up a feed that will completely auto-start after a computer re-boot. I'm going to experiment with it more today, but I can't seem to get past the part where Windows 10 wants me to input my password before it auto-loads any apps.

What are other folks doing here? (Aside from going back to an older version of Windows! )

Thanks,

JIM

jeb2942

Feed Provider
In Windows 10 open the Run command box by pressing the Windows logo and R keys. In the Run dialog box type Netplwiz and press enter. In User Accounts dialog, select your user account first and then uncheck the option labeled "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click Apply which will bring up the Automatically sign in box. Type your password in the fields.

This is what I am using for my feeds...

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have a computer with win 7 and its been running 24/7 for last 3 years and I have had updates shut off because that is all it is a feed computer. I don't even have a monitor,mouse or keyboard on it. It sits back in the corner and I remote into it. Before then I had a XP machine till it died and did the same thing. I figure why do I need updates to feed the scanner and my Weather station to the internet.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
I have a computer with win 7 and its been running 24/7 for last 3 years and I have had updates shut off because that is all it is a feed computer. I don't even have a monitor,mouse or keyboard on it. It sits back in the corner and I remote into it. Before then I had a XP machine till it died and did the same thing. I figure why do I need updates to feed the scanner and my Weather station to the internet.
Yeah, all good, except I'm on Windows 10 which updates on it's own without asking permission. It's a W10 thing, which is why everyone hates W10. Thank you Microsoft.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
In Windows 10 open the Run command box by pressing the Windows logo and R keys. In the Run dialog box type Netplwiz and press enter. In User Accounts dialog, select your user account first and then uncheck the option labeled "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click Apply which will bring up the Automatically sign in box. Type your password in the fields.

This is what I am using for my feeds...
Thanks,I'll give that a try.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
o permanently disable automatic updates on Windows 10, use these steps:
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the experience.
  3. Navigate to the following path: ...Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.